Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Hooligan review?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 01:47 PM
jamieshannon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone out there have any experience with the Cannondale Hooligan (1 or 2) that they can share? If you haven't seen it yet, it's Cannondale's version of the compact bike - it's a non-folder - but it's got 20" BMX wheels, Avid Juicy brakes and some kind of internal hub gearing system, depending on the model. I think they're only available in the UK for the time being.
Old 07-31-08, 02:53 PM
snafu21

Bikes: None.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Edit: I've eaten my words. I want one.

Last edited by snafu21; 05-13-10 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-31-08, 03:04 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Looks like a giggle.
Old 09-16-08, 02:28 AM
joose
pooh bear

Bikes: Dahon D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to own one.

I think after I have speced up my curve and road bike, this could be my next target on the horizon..?
Old 09-16-08, 04:20 AM
14R 
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love Cannondales, but I have to agree 100% with Snafu on this one: This bike is just a (wrong) lifestyle statement.
Old 09-16-08, 05:09 AM
datako

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike has big fat tyres so it should ride ok.

I'm disappointed they didn't stick a Headshok in it though. The fork looks like it's suspension corrected, so maybe they have that in mind.

I like small wheeled bikes - they are much snappier to ride, and I reckon this one could live up to its name. If I had one it would soon be out playing on the local singletrack
Old 09-16-08, 05:13 AM
timo888 

Bikes: Birdy BD-1. Change MTB. Fuji XC. Marin Four Corners

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 14R
I love Cannondales, but I have to agree 100% with Snafu on this one: This bike is just a (wrong) lifestyle statement.
Aren't you reacting more to the marketing spiel than to the bike? Perhaps the riding-down-stairs-get-outta-my-way aspect of it? The bike doesn't have braze-ons for a handgun holster It's just built sturdy to handle city pavement. The ad hypesters are the ones who bring Bruce Willis into the picture.

Regards
T
Old 09-16-08, 05:25 AM
datako

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's some evidence that small wheels can be fun offroad. This is my Dahon HammerHead and the course is the one used for the StrathPuffer 24 hour race (run in winter), and yes it did ride over that stuff.

Edit- BTW I don't understand the "lifestyle statement" part of the discussion. Surely the point of the Hooligan is about getting out and having active fun on the bike rather than posing around where the arbiters of cycling style may see you - it doesn't have Campag, and isn't a no-brake fixie, so you're stuffed anyway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
5 The chute.jpg (86.8 KB, 349 views)
7 Snakebite Alley.jpg (75.2 KB, 314 views)
Dahon HH SS.jpg (102.3 KB, 502 views)

Last edited by datako; 09-16-08 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Thought of something
Old 09-16-08, 05:50 AM
timo888 

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The Chute looks like fun.

Maybe Cannondale will come out with a 20" city-streets-suspension fork too. It couldn't hurt to have more entrants in the 20" urban conquest niche.

Regards
T
Old 09-16-08, 06:38 AM
Skidurts

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how does it fold?
Old 09-16-08, 06:51 AM
joose
pooh bear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't, its a tough little bike and I want one grrr
Old 09-16-08, 06:57 AM
timo888 

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joose
It doesn't [fold] ...
But with its straight tubes, you could use Bicycle Torque Couplings (but only if the frame is CroMo -- the Cannondale site says the frame is 'Hooligan' -- very helpful bit of info, Cannondale. EDIT: I phoned them: aluminum, and they have a prototype folder that may come out in 2010).

Regards
T

Last edited by timo888; 09-16-08 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-16-08, 07:56 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by snafu21
... Probably better than I expect, apart from the brakes.
Well, it would almost have to be, eh? Great review, though!
Old 09-16-08, 08:09 AM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
The bike is simply overpriced, and I highly doubt that the bike is actually manufactured by cannondale.
I know a number of bikes that look exactly like that one... and they are sold at under $200 here (Although they use V-brakes and derailleur shifting instead)
Old 09-16-08, 08:49 AM
14R 
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by timo888
Aren't you reacting more to the marketing spiel than to the bike? Perhaps the riding-down-stairs-get-outta-my-way aspect of it? The bike doesn't have braze-ons for a handgun holster It's just built sturdy to handle city pavement. The ad hypesters are the ones who bring Bruce Willis into the picture.

Regards
T
I believe I am reacting to what I consider to be a city bike. the lack of fenders, rack and a type of wheel that does not make the bike drag would make this bike a better match to it's target audience. I see no benefit on having this bike instead of a conventional sized urban bike like the Bad boy (with fenders and rack)or a Cube.

Now, for a 20 inch city bike, I would take the Mr20 from Giant way before this Cannondale. At least it folds.

Old 09-16-08, 09:14 AM
timo888 

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 14R
... a city bike. the lack of fenders, rack and a type of wheel that does not make the bike drag would make this bike a better match to it's target audience. I see no benefit on having this bike instead of a conventional sized urban bike like the Bad boy (with fenders and rack)or a Cube.
I would think this bike is for former BMXers who have joined the work-force and are looking now for a bike for recreational riding. They don't envision themselves on skinnier tires or on 700c wheels or crouched forward gripping the Cube's bars. The wheel and tire choice are probably on the mark, in that regard.

Regards
T
Old 09-16-08, 09:32 AM
joose
pooh bear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I already have my 'sensible' commute bikes. I don't care about a rack etc on this. Imagine it as a car, a track day special, a bike for fun, for going down a random tracks, for bunny hopping up curbs, for not worry when you mess it up a bit (as I always do lol).

"Now, for a 20 inch city bike, I would take the Mr20 from Giant way before this Cannondale. At least it folds" Is it me but that bike looks bigger folded than unfolded? lol
Old 09-16-08, 09:39 AM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joose
Is it me but that bike looks bigger folded than unfolded? lol
I was about to say the exact same thing!
Old 12-27-09, 04:01 AM
PoleRiders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and just wanted to let you know I just posted this review on my blog.
Cannondale Hooligan: The Beetle of Bikes

I have never done a product review on this blog but the Cannondale Hooligan has captivated my interest to such a degree that over the last few days since I first spotted one at my LBS I have felt compelled to tell all of my cycling friends about this very cool little ride. As best as I can tell the Hooligan has been available in Japan, UK and Europe since 2008 in a single speed or 3 speed version. The US version is available with an 8 speed derailleur listed for $649 or a Sram internal 3 speed for $979. The 3 speed also comes with better brakes and better tires as well as the single bladed Cannondale Lefty Fork. The Delta-V frame and Lefty fork are borrowed from Cannondales progressive mountain bike designs.

I would describe this bike as fun, quick, agile and durable. The front end picks up very easily to wheelie over obstacles and the handling is very responsive; more like a road or 20" BMX bike than a mountain bike although I am curious to see how it would handle on a trail with fat tires. Visually the Hooligan is unique and almost futuristic. At first glance the form of the bike reads "folder" but conceptually it is really much closer to the Moulton Bicycle which has broken speed records and has been ridden around the world. Alex Moulton has a lot to say about the advantages of small wheels that is worth looking into especially in light of the 29er/ bigger is better philosophy that currently prevails. Briefly, smaller wheels accelerate faster, are stronger, lighter, more aerodynamic and provide a lower center of gravity for better turning.

I don't own a Hooligan yet but I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 3 speed in black. Here is the 8 speed in white with a conventional fork. I wish they painted the fork white. The plainer paint jobs on the earlier versions are less distracting and do a better job of showing off this beautiful, well resolved design. I also prefer the old stem and bars.
Previously I have not been a huge fan of the Lefty fork because I tend to favor symmetry however in this instance I think I would be willing to try it and I am sure it will perform just fine. Despite my prejudice I know that there is a lot of reasoning and sound engineering that has gone into Cannondale's development of the Lefty and it has been use for years on the most demanding race courses not to mention the use of single bladed forks on motorcycles and airplane landing gear. On this bike I think it enhances its hip visual appeal.

I see the innovative Cannondale Hooligan developing a cult following and becoming the Beetle of bikes. I predict a lot of people will buy these and customize them and a lot of accessories will become available such as a seat post mounted water bottle cage and rack/panniers as well as fenders to make it even more commuter friendly. The compact size makes it perfect for small apartments, parking next to a desk at the office, throwing in the car, or carrying it up a few flights of stairs without hitting the walls on the turns. It seems like it would be the perfect bike for so many types of riders.
Old 12-27-09, 11:58 AM
itsmoot
in cog neato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Especially pole dancers!"?
Old 12-28-09, 02:59 PM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tend to agree with snafu21 here, I put up with a lack of suspension + small wheels as it makes for a compact lightweight folder; I'd never choose those options on a non-folding bike. I'd much rather have an old Moulton or a regular road bike. Those tyres are very heavy too, that'd kill a lot of the snappiness one associates with small wheels.

Last edited by chagzuki; 12-28-09 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 09:07 AM
konut

Bikes: Cannondale Prophet 600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be all over this EXCEPT for the fact that the front fork is NOT a Lefty, but the Solo, a rigid fork. If I could put a Lefty on my Reach, I would, but I'm afraid the headtube is too long to do the conversion. Love the Lefty. My other bike is a Cannondale Prophet. Cannondale designs and makes great frames.
Old 12-29-09, 01:37 PM
coolio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw this bike at REI. Very nice. Perhaps at the forefront of the mini velo boom (?)

It was $899 (i think). The derailleur version was $200 less, though. And, it had the regular dual front fork. Interestingly, the price tag of the $899 said it was a "special order".
Old 12-29-09, 03:24 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by snafu21
But Shimano's cable disk brakes are pants compared to V brakes in terms of stopping the bike,
Bollocks! My daily commuter has M495s;they've stopped me reliably in all weather,with full panniers,and down steep hills. Not as slick to adjust as BB7's,but I've zero complaints with them.

As to the Hooligan,I'm actually considering one for a bar hopper. I recently commuted on my FlyBy(rebadged Dahon,story as to why I never rode it before) and really liked the exceleration and flickability of the smaller wheels. I think this would be a sweet bike for running around town.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-30-09, 08:15 PM
jayfromqns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that folder the One Concept bike from a while back?: https://www.treehugger.com/files/2008...ndale_on_m.php

However if the Hooligan were a folding bike, I'd buy one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.