Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

using Specialized Mission Control app

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-21, 12:33 PM
gleeloyd

Bikes: Trek Top Fuel 9.9 mountain bike, Santa Cruz Stigmata gravel bike, Specialized Turbo Como SL 4.0 (wife's e-bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

I just got my wife a new Specialized Turbo Como SL 4.0. She really likes it and, I have to admit, now I want an e-bike! So far we've only had it out for rides under 20 miles but have more extensive travel planned soon in the Texas hill country southwest of Austin.

My question is for Specialized e-bike owners that have experience using the Mission Control app. It's my understanding that with this app you can put the bike's power management into "automatic" mode (instead of one of the 3 preset modes on the control panel). When in automatic mode, does the level of assist get automatically modulated? In other words, if she uses this, will she get max assist on steep grades or with extra pedal pressure?

Thanks!
Gary
Old 05-16-21, 01:42 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
not sure if it depending on the model but you can link it to a HRM to control the assist level
Old 05-16-21, 10:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Yes it does, you turn on smart control and you can get all of those features. Hopefully your local shop can run you through it but it is pretty easy. Just hit Ride and then all the way to the right you have smart control and that will get you set up. You can ride to Distance, Time or Heart Rate (assuming you have an HRM paired up). You can set it up to give you more assist at certain points on the hill (every 25ft from zero I believe) as well and you can also make sure you have a bit left in the tank (as is possible) which is super neat.

If you were nearby which you aren't I would love to go over it with you but I am terrible explaining it without the bike and I don't have a Specialized e-bike nearby mine is an R+M. The next time I make it down to Austin won't be for a while and I will probably spend most of my time at Gueros, Bouldin Creek Café and every record shop I can visit before going broke...LOL. I would say go to Mellow Johnny's but unless things have changed they don't sell Specialized but have always been super nice.

If you end up on a similar bike go for the Como SL 5.0. The 4 was just poorly done with a chain when they could have done the belt for a little more and made it a more appealing bike. I don't want an internally geared hub on my bike for it to have a chain, I want a derailleur for that. However they are still awesome bikes and I am sure she is loving the crap out of it. We finally are getting some of the Como SLs in stock and it is quite nice. They are tricky to set up and have some goofy bars but they are quite comfortable and easy to ride just like the regular Como and certainly look clean. Plus the rack system is great, anytime you can put the load on the frame and not the steering you have a winning combo.