Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Packing it in

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Packing it in

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-21, 11:31 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Cobolman, there is much life after cycling.
For some reason “After the Gold Rush” keeps playing in my head.

Old 08-02-21, 03:34 PM
cobolman

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Volpe and 15 Yr Old Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I rceived a mesage inquriring whether I was clipped in when I fell. I have always ridden with plain old pedals.
Old 08-03-21, 03:56 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
At 48, I crashed really bad, breaking my back. Surgery installed some titanium rods and screws to keep me in one piece and upright. I never had any fear of anything really, till 9 months before my crash. I had my left knee replaced. And that fear was, I didn't want to crash and see that shiny metal knee... No, I didn't even scratch my knees in this crash. shoulder rash, concussion, cracked vertebra in my neck and more...

Took me 3 year to get on a bike outside. A couple more to ride more than my cul-de-sac. Traffic makes me nervous, riding real close to other riders too. But my fear is anything over 15MPH downhill. Yes, I crashed downhill, solo, 40mph plus... But I was beating a guy 10 years younger than me, until I wasn't...

I've worked on the fear. Taken big swings at it. Still there. But it lets me have a little fun once in a while before clamping me down again. I have to ride with an app open or now my cheapo computer. I HAVE to see how fast I'm going downhill. If I can't see it at all, I'm hard on the brakes the whole time. But if I can see the speed, I can let it roll a little bit. Conversely, on flat road, I can go just as fast as my new knees will let me ((39MPH on Strava, I can prove it...) with ZERO issues... The mind is a weird invention.

Oh, I can't do clipless. My mind has tried to accept them.
Likes For zjrog:
Old 08-03-21, 05:28 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
The statistics on the outcome for older people that have broken hips is very sobering....shocking really. I think about it often and know that at some point the risk/reward calculation will change but at 65 I figure I have some good riding years left. Best of luck with the recovery and hope you are able to do whatever activities you pursue.
Old 08-04-21, 08:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I was curious if when you fall you reach out with your arms. That's a something one shouldn't do IMO. Really increases the risk of a clavicle injury or break. And slow speed bike incidents maybe the worst for us wanting to catch our fall with outstretched arms.

Keeping my hands on the bars has been one of the things I credit to me not getting seriously injured in some pretty spectacular crashes that almost had the child in me saying "do it again". Though all were 20 mph or better. The only others were 0 mph when I forgot to clip out. Still my hands stayed on the bars.

While I've never tried a recumbent and they have never appealed to me, they have long been part of my plan for continuing to be able to ride outdoors as I age.
Old 08-04-21, 10:38 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
At 6 weeks, I could pedal okay on the road, but I couldn’t walk without a cane. I carried a folding cane in my jersey pocket, and I needed help getting my leg over the top tube. Other than that, it was fine.

BTW, I was going about 15 mph around a gradual curve when I crashed and broke my hip. The front wheel slipped out from under me.
Which procedure did you have? Did they make the incision from the front or the side?

Last edited by jppe; 08-04-21 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-04-21, 10:51 AM
cobolman

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It happened so fast that I landed before I knew what had happened. I scraped my elbow and knee. I had flat pedals. I could never ride clipped in.
Old 08-04-21, 10:56 AM
cobolman

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I was an x-ray tech in the 70's and worked for an orthopedic surgeon. The big concern is that older people don't move enough and develop pneumonia. That's why they get patients up the next day. I never smoked and was in decent health for my age given all the bike riding I did. In sptie of that I developed some minor breathing issues due to lying in the hospital bed..
Old 08-04-21, 10:57 AM
cobolman

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
40 MPH Amazing.
Old 08-04-21, 10:57 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Which procedure did you have? Did they make the incision from the front or the side?
My hip joint broke into four pieces. The initial plan was to do a total replacement, but the surgeon said he could save the joint. I now have a compression screw with a 4-hole plate, installed from the side.

It looks like this:

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-04-21, 01:45 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I second (third or fourth) the recumbent trike suggestion. At 63 I hope I have another decade on 2 wheels at least, but my plan is, when that gets difficult, to switch to a recumbent trike.
Old 08-04-21, 02:23 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

My hip joint broke into four pieces. The initial plan was to do a total replacement, but the surgeon said he could save the joint. I now have a compression screw with a 4-hole plate, installed from the side.

It looks like this:

That’s really good they were able to to a “repair” in lieu of a “replace”. The ball broke off the femur neck and dislocated so a total replacement was done.

Old 08-04-21, 03:27 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
The ball broke off the femur neck and dislocated so a total replacement was done.
How is the new hip working out for you? The surgeon said I may eventually need a replacement. But so far, so good. Not much discomfort, some reduced range of motion.

Last edited by terrymorse; 08-04-21 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-04-21, 07:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Injury prevention is better than treatment.

76 y.o. I don't know what it is, but luckily I almost never fall. I had a solo crash maybe 20 years ago, but no biggie, just road rash, fixed itself. That's it. I'm one of the few riders I know without bumpy clavicles. I'm osteoporotic, particularly in the femur neck (boo), but as long as I don't fall, I'm good. I medicate for the bones, but that's just a few percent one way or the other. I'm told that what goes, what shuts down the riding, is balance issues, so I constantly work on that. I put on my clothes including shoes and socks while standing, brush my teeth standing on one leg, ski Alpine and XC, hike steep rocky mountain trails, anything I can do. I used to rock climb, but no more. I think gym work is a very big deal. I've been a gym member since '79. I think part of balance is neuromuscular. I think it's called proprioception.

I once had a cop stop me because I was a little late on a yellow. I had been drinking a little over many hours, so I smelled like it. The cop had me stand on one foot, put my arms straight out, bend back so I was looking at the sky, and touch my other toe to his toe. I passed. That's what I'm talking about. Practice every day. I've recovered our tandem from a multiple fishtail on a nasty bit of wet road as I avoided a bike accident in front of us. I bet singletrack MTB work would help, but I would have had to have started that in my youth. Oh - I've been riding rollers for 25 years, probably 1500 miles/year. I think that helps some. I can still ride the white line on my single, which might be a tell.

What else. I ride as hard as I still can. I pay total attention. I was once on my rollers when a good friend walked in the door. I said "Hi" and was on the floor, that quick. Total concentration. I never listen to music, never have my phone on, etc. Pro tip: don't fuss with your Garmin when you're rolling. Stop instead. I had a friend go right into a parked SUV doing that. Massive injuries. There's a whole litany of stupid stuff people do, pedal around tight corners, get cut off by a right-turning car, not looking 50' down the road, on and on. That's one of the big reasons I loved climbing: one stupid mistake can change your whole life. Be aware. Maybe it's a Zen thing and is also a reason I love riding, just being in a state of constant awareness.
Old 08-04-21, 09:52 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I had a couple of low speed crashes and severe concussions about 10 years ago and I really backed off cycling. I'm 70 now. I've got a nice gym setup and among other things have been riding using a smart trainer (Wahoo Kickr) and Zwift for most of this year. I still ride bike paths around Denver when I visit the kids and do some easy mountain biking but pretty much quit riding on the road where I live in northern NM. I also hike, ski and snowshoe. I've got an urge to get into gravel riding so may start doing that a bit more but not the thousands of miles a year I was doing on the road in my late 50's. It was REALLY difficult to give it up, but getting a brain replacement wasn't an option.
Old 08-05-21, 05:00 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

How is the new hip working out for you? The surgeon said I may eventually need a replacement. But so far, so good. Not much discomfort, some reduced range of motion.
It’s doing okay. I’m still doing everything I would have done otherwise. It took about a year before it was “normal” but like you was back at all my daily activities very quickly. My surgeon held me back initially as he knew I’d over do it. But he allowed me to play golf, ride a trainer etc. pretty quickly. The crash was in August. The subsequent year I rode 5 different week long bike tours. I also shot my lowest round of golf.

But my bike speeds and power dropped some. Some of it was loss of strength but most of it was lost cardio where I just didn’t want to make the effort to regain……doing intervals and riding with A groups just wasn’t a goal anymore. But I still enjoy longer rides but at a more moderate pace.

The only place I notice the hip is when I lift really heavy loads.
Old 08-08-21, 07:41 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Throckmorton’s sign

That’s really good they were able to to a “repair” in lieu of a “replace”. The ball broke off the femur neck and dislocated so a total replacement was done.

That’s one of the few times I’ve seen a negative Throckmorton’s sign.

Old 08-08-21, 07:04 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I have only had a few crashes since the early seventies. None as serious as some of you folks. I did have one that scared me in 2018. I hit face first after going over the handlebars. Luckily I was wearing a helmet.I spent the day in the hospital with a few scans and X-rays . I had broken my ocular bone and cheek bone in four places. Basically just pieces of bone left floating on the left side of my face. I also broke my left hand and had a lot of abrasion on my face, shoulder, legs, etc. I think if it were more serious or was caused by diminished capacity I would consider another form of exercise . I wish you the best .
Old 08-14-21, 07:40 PM
cobolman

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What happens to some of the bike clothing and accessories when you stop riding? The balaclava, claw mittens, thermal socks and underwear were great when riding during the winter when the temperature dropped. but it doesn;t get that cold here in Oregon. I will have no use for them. I never was into lycra so the shirts were bought on sale at Target. My wife bought me a beautiful new bright colored biking jacket as a present for Father;s Day. It came in the mail just before me accident. I will wear it. This way she will never lose me when I wander off in the department store..
Old 08-15-21, 06:10 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I would say I'm sorry for your fall. It's your choice to stop riding bicycles. Remember if you don't use it you lose it. I see a pattern of giving up things when you get hurt. I am concerned. If you trip and get hurt will you stop walking or running? I wish that you would get back on a bike injuries happen when we're comfortable. When we don't pay attention. I'm sure that you're not a hazard to yourself, but I haven't reached your age. You know what is best for yourself. I would prefer if you got back on the bike and mitigated your risk and got over your fear, but I understand and it's your decision. Good luck
Old 08-15-21, 08:19 AM
cobolman

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
I would say I'm sorry for your fall. It's your choice to stop riding bicycles. Remember if you don't use it you lose it. I see a pattern of giving up things when you get hurt. I am concerned. If you trip and get hurt will you stop walking or running? I wish that you would get back on a bike injuries happen when we're comfortable. When we don't pay attention. I'm sure that you're not a hazard to yourself, but I haven't reached your age. You know what is best for yourself. I would prefer if you got back on the bike and mitigated your risk and got over your fear, but I understand and it's your decision. Good luck
We just purchased a Schwinn IC4 stationary bike and our son-in-law assembled it for us. It's not like riding on the street but it gives me a good way to exercise. I go for my first ride in a an hour.
Likes For cobolman:
Old 08-15-21, 10:58 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Dont give up cycling. If you set you rust. I am a very blessed person physically, since at 83 I can ride anything I want to. I prefer recumbents, and have a recumbent bike and trike. If you fear falling, of course go to a trike. I mainly ride mine in town because of the convenience. There is no clipping in and out at every stop. With a trike you get comfort, convenience, a great view, and they are a hoot to ride.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-16-21, 06:34 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
N2Deep and Rydabent both said it, and I'll repeat. If you really want to keep pedaling, then a recumbent trike is the way to go. I'm still setting mine up to be suitably 'blazingpedals-esque."

Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 08-16-21, 09:24 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I wonder about dropping large on a new bike at some point also. Will I really get my money's worth?
What if I can't ride the new bike after a couple years because of health or something?
What if I DON'T buy it and miss out on that NBD experience?
I don't know. I do know a bunch of people that have dealt with such issues differently and some of them are pretty impressive.
I don't know who this guy is, but he's a regular on Mt. Diablo. Hand trike with E-wheel on the front. Huzzah.

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 08-16-21, 04:27 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I wonder about dropping large on a new bike at some point also. Will I really get my money's worth?
What if I can't ride the new bike after a couple years because of health or something?
What if I DON'T buy it and miss out on that NBD experience?
I’ve decided that I’ll keep what I have and keep getting the gearing right as I age with the anticipation of getting a lightweight e-road bike, mostly likely an e-trike, when the time comes.

True PB’s, even with a new high tech bike right now, are not going to happen, so when the time comes, Lord willing, I’ll get the lightest top of the line offering out there that will take me along for as long as I can move my legs… even if only slightly.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.