Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Returned to Cycling After Sports Car Phase

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Returned to Cycling After Sports Car Phase

Old 09-04-21, 06:08 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Your 73 was a real looker.

Have moved into the SUV - bike hauler phase - had a Cayenne and now a Macan. Love the Macan, smaller, more nimble and a bit faster. The bikes go on the hitch rack carrier which is so nice.
Similar story here, only I went for a Tesla Model X. Bikes on hitch rack or straight in the back if I’m on my own. I still have the 911 SC but it doesn’t get out of the garage.

I sold my 2.4S in 2008. It was an original Italian spec car with very low mileage. Would be worth serious money today. Current prices are nuts!
Old 09-04-21, 06:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Similar story here, only I went for a Tesla Model X. Bikes on hitch rack or straight in the back if I’m on my own. I still have the 911 SC but it doesn’t get out of the garage.

I sold my 2.4S in 2008. It was an original Italian spec car with very low mileage. Would be worth serious money today. Current prices are nuts!
My 73 2.4 was converted to a 2.7 RS spec with an MFI pump from a real RS. Man was that car a riot. Sold it at the height of the bubble after a 6 month quick and dirty restoration. It now lives in a collection in the Philippines. Of all the cars I have owned, I miss that one the most. I have had my 914-6 for ten years. Was converted to a 3.0 and is good for quick sprints but for long hauls, its just too uncomfortable. Neighbor has a Tesla and absolutely loves it as well as one of my contractors. They say they will only buy Teslas in the foreseeable future. Think that will be my wife’s next car. Cheers

Old 09-05-21, 08:44 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
And that Sir is an incredible looking and riding machine. I have had sport bikes myself for the last 20+ years and while great fun the bottom line is; you only have so much time. When I was on my bicycle and a motorcycle went by I missed it. And vice versa. Now at 72 I'm thinking that my motorcycle days are probably over...but they are very hard to give up. I've also had two Miatas and now have a Mini Cooper but again, we only have so many hours. And even worse (or best?) I now have three grandchildren and they have REALLY stolen my heart. I bought Olivia a pink and purple bicycle last month....an teaching her to ride seems to the most satisfying of all.
Old 09-05-21, 02:30 PM
Digger6255

Bikes: CAAD13 Disc, Ridley Fenix, Electra Lux 7D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I've always been a car guy even when in the military but didn't really pursue it that much. I did start cycling while stationed in Germany in the late 80's. I still cycle but this is also my hobby that I take very seriously. Fasted ET/MPH in the 1/4 ,mile is 6.86 @ 197 mph.

Likes For Digger6255:
Old 09-05-21, 02:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

^ Digger, that is smoking fast. Love speed and power. You must be totally addicted with that machine.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-05-21, 05:04 PM
smoore

Man that is so cool. Been a drag fan since high school and used to race NHRA/IHRA in the stock class with my Olds 442. Are those bike wheels on the front of your dragster?
Likes For smoore:
Old 09-05-21, 05:32 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
About 18 years ago a friend of my wife drove to our house in a 1972 911S with sport exhaust and threw me the keys
Note to self: You need some better friends.

But in all seriousness: I don't understand how someone who is already a recreational cyclist -- at any age, any demographic, any income level -- can discover sports cars as a hobby and think "whoa, now this is the shiznit!" Other than the endorphin rush, the intersection set of Boxes Checked is similar only in the most superfluous way. I mean, yeah, I get the Geek Out On Gear aspect, and the COLLECT ALL SEVEN! aspect, and the Go Fast Relative To Others Nearby aspect... but the differences seem so profound to me that I simply can't wrap my head around how one could be a substitute for the other.

Of course, with enough free time I guess one could enjoy both hobbies...
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 09-05-21, 05:45 PM
Digger6255

Bikes: CAAD13 Disc, Ridley Fenix, Electra Lux 7D

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
Man that is so cool. Been a drag fan since high school and used to race NHRA/IHRA in the stock class with my Olds 442. Are those bike wheels on the front of your dragster?
Haha No. I'll lift them up so you can get a closer look.

Old 09-05-21, 06:25 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
And that Sir is an incredible looking and riding machine. I have had sport bikes myself for the last 20+ years and while great fun the bottom line is; you only have so much time. When I was on my bicycle and a motorcycle went by I missed it. And vice versa. Now at 72 I'm thinking that my motorcycle days are probably over...but they are very hard to give up. I've also had two Miatas and now have a Mini Cooper but again, we only have so many hours. And even worse (or best?) I now have three grandchildren and they have REALLY stolen my heart. I bought Olivia a pink and purple bicycle last month....an teaching her to ride seems to the most satisfying of all.
Grandkids sealed the motorcycle deal for me - from now on, only four wheels.

Old 09-05-21, 06:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Bob Ross

But in all seriousness: I don't understand how someone who is already a recreational cyclist -- at any age, any demographic, any income level -- can discover sports cars as a hobby and think "whoa, now this is the shiznit!" Other than the endorphin rush, the intersection set of Boxes Checked is similar only in the most superfluous way. I mean, yeah, I get the Geek Out On Gear aspect, and the COLLECT ALL SEVEN! aspect, and the Go Fast Relative To Others Nearby aspect... but the differences seem so profound to me that I simply can't wrap my head around how one could be a substitute for the other.

Ok Bob, if you really want the details, here they are.

At the same time I was thrown the keys to the 911 my wife had just completed her rehab after a total knee replacement. The surgery did not go well and even though she tried getting back on our tandem, it was too painful. She had been my cycling buddy for 7 years and we traveled all over and cycled since that was her passion too. After additional corrective procedures, nothing worked and she just could not do it, on her single or the tandem. Out of deference to her, because I knew it was so emotionally painful to her to not bike, I gave it up for sports cars. Yes I love her that much.

Any other concerns?

Old 09-05-21, 06:39 PM
smoore

Originally Posted by Digger6255
Haha No. I'll lift them up so you can get a closer look.

Ha, thanks! Those are 32C at least.
Old 09-05-21, 06:43 PM
smoore

Bob Ross, I hear you. But I don't understand how anyone can eat raw oysters either. Different strokes.

Last edited by smoore; 09-05-21 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-05-21, 10:26 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
There’s no reason not to have a passion for both. I have been into cars all my life. A bad mtb accident in the 90’s put an instant stop to my cycling. Early 00’s I rescued a really good bmx from a neighbors trash and was back on a bike for the first time in years. My kid raced bmx so I got myself a race bike to ride with him. Last year I rediscovered road cycling and am hooked. I have a few vintage bikes and a modern one.

But during all this time I never stopped building cars. I have an ‘83 grey-market Benz and a ‘91 first gen Montero. I will always be a car guy and I believe I will remain a bike guy the rest of my days.

Likes For LibertyFLS:
Old 09-06-21, 06:10 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
out of deference to her, because I knew it was so emotionally painful to her to not bike, I gave it up for sports cars. Yes I love her that much.
I can relate to that...somewhat: My wife, who had been my cycling buddy for (at the time) 13 or 14 years, had a catastrophic crash in which she shattered her C2 vertabrae, and wound up off the bike for several months and then on a severely restricted cycling schedule for...well, it's been a couple years now, exacerbated by the revision surgery she had to get a year after the first emergency surgery. In consideration for her time and emotional well-being, I dramatically curtailed my cycling time. Didn't eliminate it -- she wouldn't have wanted me to stop riding, because she knows how important it is both physically and mentally -- and I didn't take on any new hobbies to fill the time, because any time that was made available by my not riding was spent with her. But I definitely understand how crisis can cause a seachange in one's interests.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 09-06-21, 08:06 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I can relate to that...somewhat: My wife, who had been my cycling buddy for (at the time) 13 or 14 years, had a catastrophic crash in which she shattered her C2 vertabrae,......
I feel for her. I crashed and broke my neck back in 2013. Had C1 & C 2 fused. Fractured a couple other vertebra as well. It happened on July 24th and I was back on the bike by mid-November. Have had no issues since then except for a limited ROM. Even that's not bad. I know what it's like to come back from that injury. Best to both of you.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-06-21, 05:45 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
For the sake of random information, the Drag Race ETs/MPH for my rides pictured above -

74 Camaro with 396+.060 (408inches) - 14.00 @ 110 spinning the tires through the first three gears... couldn't get traction with street tires and stick shift, so I ended up 'back-halfing' the car to install cage and narrowed rear frame, wheel tubs, etc.. ditched the 4-speed for a TH400 with a 4500 stall converter, and swapped-out the stock 10-bolt rear for a Ford 9" from one of my parted-out Cougars, filled it with a spool and 4.56s and a set of 13x31 slicks out back. First pass was a 11.31@119.5, on the second pass, it snapped an ear of the pinion yoke and spit out the driveshaft... Needed money to build my 6-car garage back in '87, so sold the Camaro, turn-key- and open trailer for $2800.

WIfe's bone-stock, 23k-original-miles '70 Mustang Mach 1 is 351C-4V/FMX auto and 3.25 gears. Best is 15.03 @ 93 on street tires and through stock exhaust.

'73 Cougars - both ran 14.40s @ 94 351C-4Vs, C-6 auto w/ stock 2700rpm CJ converter and 3.70 gears... (3.25 gears were stock) Both are sitting in the garage awaiting restoration...

'89 Crown Vic LX - an original 351W-VV (Variable Venturi 2-barrel carb). 190k miles and was leaking oil like the Exxon Valdez when I bought it, so a rebuild was in order. Found a stroker crank for cheaper than I could get my stock crank turned, so it became a emissions-legal (had to pass Ohio's tailpipe emissions testing) 393W with a very mild cam, 9.4:1 compression, catalysts, etc. Drove it for several years - even in Cleveland winters. I 'cheated' a bit when it became emissions- (age) exempt, so I dropped in a retrofit roller cam and 86'd the cats. Best ET was 13.06 @106.55 with a 2600 converter in the AOD and 3.55 rear gears, barking the drag radials at the shifts.... Trap speeds were about the same a cars running a full-second quicker, just a heavy car and not much converter/gearing made it 'slow' to get moving... Engine got tweaked again when one of the intake valve seats dropped out of one cylinder head and caused internal carnage. Since it is emissions-exempt, it got bored another .010 to clean up the nicks in the cylinder walls, and filled with 11.2:1 components, and MUCH better flowing aluminum heads. Dyno'd at 610hp now. Upgraded to a 3200 converter and upgraded the valvebody in the trans while the engine was out, and ditched the 1-5/8"-primary shorty headers / 2-1/4" H-pipe for 1-7/8 longtubes and 3" H-pipes back to the mufflers.... Track was closed last year due to Covid, so it hasn't been back out, but should turn mid 11s @ ~116mph with the increased power and after it lost almost 300 pounds - no more A/C, air pump, went electric water pump drive, electric fans, etc, got rid of heavy dual-power split bench seat (almost 220 pounds!) for a pair of lightweight Corbeau racing seats. .Changed from column-shift to floor shift... BTW, this is still a street car, and the 'contingency stickers' are on sheet magnet and stored in the trunk when not at the track... Kinda a fun 'sleeper'. People wonder where the exhaust rumble is coming from - they don't expect anything out of a stock-appearing Crown Vic and old gray-haired dude driving it.
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 09-06-21, 09:12 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
There’s no reason not to have a passion for both. I have been into cars all my life. A bad mtb accident in the 90’s put an instant stop to my cycling. Early 00’s I rescued a really good bmx from a neighbors trash and was back on a bike for the first time in years. My kid raced bmx so I got myself a race bike to ride with him. Last year I rediscovered road cycling and am hooked. I have a few vintage bikes and a modern one.

But during all this time I never stopped building cars. I have an ‘83 grey-market Benz and a ‘91 first gen Montero. I will always be a car guy and I believe I will remain a bike guy the rest of my days.
Always loved the the 500 SECs. A great design that still stands up and AMG to boot is very cool. You definitely have that car dialed.

Still have two Porsches, so am not completely dead. . One is just a bit more utilitarian, but still goes like stink.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-06-21, 10:12 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
I had a riding buddy that went the other way. Not that old - maybe in his early 40s. He and his wife got freaked out when another member of our club had a catastrophic accident and died in group ride. So the friend quit riding altogether, but part of the appeal of cycling for him was that he is a gear head. He got into muscle cars - old mustangs and trans ams, I think.

I still miss him - he was a beast on the bike, good natured, interesting to talk to, etc. Now i never see him.
Old 09-07-21, 05:37 AM
PeteHski

I was always into cycling and sportscars from a very early age. But if I had to give one up it would be the sportscars for sure. I kind of have anyway due to lack of time. Don't ask me to choose between bikes and skis though!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-07-21, 06:04 AM
PeteHski

My 73 2.4 was converted to a 2.7 RS spec with an MFI pump from a real RS. Man was that car a riot. Sold it at the height of the bubble after a 6 month quick and dirty restoration. It now lives in a collection in the Philippines. Of all the cars I have owned, I miss that one the most. I have had my 914-6 for ten years. Was converted to a 3.0 and is good for quick sprints but for long hauls, its just too uncomfortable. Neighbor has a Tesla and absolutely loves it as well as one of my contractors. They say they will only buy Teslas in the foreseeable future. Think that will be my wife’s next car. Cheers
Hey Bob, have you ever heard of Autofarm or Josh Sadler (founder)? It's a long story, but this is the garage that first got me into 911s. They specialise in servicing and restoring classics, especially the 2.7 RS and 2.4S.

Teslas are obviously a very different story, but I think they are great. We've had our Model X just coming up to 4 years now and my wife has a Model 3, which she loves. There's no going back once you drive one! I love the instant super-smooth power delivery and all the tech that goes with it. Sitting at the Supercharger getting free "fuel" while watching Youtube bike videos on the big centre screen never gets old!
Old 09-07-21, 06:16 AM
PeteHski

I should have kept this one! All original, mint condition. I sold it to an insurance broker in 2008. No idea where it is now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1699.jpg (359.9 KB, 174 views)
IMG_1708.jpg (268.1 KB, 175 views)
IMG_1710.jpg (285.6 KB, 174 views)
Old 09-07-21, 06:21 AM
PeteHski

Still got this as a consolation.
Attached Images
_AML8523-4.jpg (320.4 KB, 171 views)
_AML8551.jpg (290.5 KB, 172 views)
Old 09-07-21, 08:47 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Hey Bob, have you ever heard of Autofarm or Josh Sadler (founder)? It's a long story, but this is the garage that first got me into 911s. They specialise in servicing and restoring classics, especially the 2.7 RS and 2.4S.

Teslas are obviously a very different story, but I think they are great. We've had our Model X just coming up to 4 years now and my wife has a Model 3, which she loves. There's no going back once you drive one! I love the instant super-smooth power delivery and all the tech that goes with it. Sitting at the Supercharger getting free "fuel" while watching Youtube bike videos on the big centre screen never gets old!
Pete, your cars are gorgeous. Love the blood or signal orange. Can see why you miss it - absolute perfection. And yes, Autofarm is famous, even over here. They do such high quality work on such desirable cars they make me drool. Have watched several YouTube videos about them. Top rate.

Glad you still have one left. Can’t beat the sound of a flat 6 at full cry. I went EFI on my SC and it turned into an expensive mess because the builder could never get it tuned correctly. It gave me good throttle response but had a couple of issues I couldn’t live with, so sold it, with full disclosure, for someone looking for a project, Loved the suspension and inside comfort versus the 72 and 73, but they had the motors and tossability. Always trade offs. Love your cars - very very nice

Old 09-07-21, 08:57 AM
PeteHski

Pete, your cars are gorgeous. Love the blood or signal orange. Can see why you miss it - absolute perfection. And yes, Autofarm is famous, even over here. They do such high quality work on such desirable cars they make me drool. Have watched several YouTube videos about them. Top rate.

Glad you still have one left. Can’t beat the sound of a flat 6 at full cry. I went EFI on my SC and it turned into an expensive mess because the builder could never get it tuned correctly. It gave me good throttle response but had a couple of issues I couldn’t live with, so sold it, with full disclosure, for someone looking for a project, Loved the suspension and inside comfort versus the 72 and 73, but they had the motors and tossability. Always trade offs. Love your cars - very very nice
Thanks Rick. As I've noted before, we have quite a lot in common.

I very nearly bought the Autofarm business a few years ago when Josh was looking to semi-retire. Unfortunately that didn't work out, but by sheer coincidence my current neighbour is one of the new owners! They are looking after my SC now.

Being totally objective, my SC is a better car than my 2.4S in most ways. Especially as a grand tourer. It's a lot more refined and less peaky. But obviously doesn't quite have that raw appeal of the earlier cars.
Old 09-07-21, 10:42 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts
Well...since this has turned into a car thread more than anything. I'll play.

Got this crazy modified 2002 "ti" in Germany back in the mid 80's. Smokin' fast due to the mods and great handling. Loved it.

Round tail lights, some kind of 70's race program engine but the the dual side draft solex carbs, ported, polished, and shaved head, domed pistons and probably more that I was oblivious too.

​​​​​​
Later I went through a Mopar 4 banger phase. Daytona with 2.2 Turbo I, Sundance with 2.5 Turbo I with added boost, Spirit R/T I had for 11 years running 14.5 psi boost, modified wastegate and intake, custom exhaust in the later years, and then adjustable Koni shocks/Struts with an adder rear roll bar. It was a beast if you could hook it up. Finally ending with a 97 NEON ACR with a crap ton of bolt on's too. Intake, exhaust, bigger TB, performance engine mounts, underdrive pulley, etc. Closest car to the handling prowess of the old 2002. Also had a first gen 2000 WRX at this time. No faster than the modified Neon and the WRX had to be driven like you were angry to even come close to handling as well. Cobb tuning upgrade on this and then sold at 160,000 plus miles that were pretty much trouble free, so weird after owning the Mopars that loved to visit the shop. LOL!

Then I finally got into another BMW, opting for a 330ci ZHP over the maintenance heavy M3 I really wanted. This ZHP was a very good machine and despite the small increase in power over a normal 330ci it was a totally different, and better, sports machine. Sold due to a divorce but in hindsight should have kept it.

Another one that was so fun to just drive.

​​​​​​
Then I got into the best sports car I have ever owned and I really mean that. A NC Miata sport with the Bilstein suspension and LSD. Put a mile tune on it, upgraded endlinks, beefier rear sway, exhaust and that was pretty much it. The only car I've owned that felt like I was wearing it versus sitting in it. Foolishly I sold this after buying a C5 Z06 Corvette with only 20,000 miles on it.

It just does not get any better. The only car I've had that made me spontaneously grin like a silly fool while driving it.

The Z06 was a total letdown after the Miata. Yeah it was fast, but sucky build quality and the sports seats were designed for fat old men (fatter that me) and never held you in place. It was totally trouble free the time I had it but was just no real fun. Felt big and heavy and the Miata and you really couldn't play with that power during your commute or out on the roads. Itch scratched and I'll never go back.

Next up was a MKVII GTI, cheap, fun, seemed well built, etc. But for some reason this car just killed my bad knees no matter what position I tried with the otherwise steller seats.

Opted for the performance package but otherwise stock.

Traded the paid off GTI in on a CPO 2016 BMW 340i that someone had maxed out with all the go fast goodies. When new this was a stupid buy as it came in around $3000 less than a M3. But as a CPO car with only 10,000 miles on the odometer it was a steal when I got it.

This is a crazy good machine, butt fast, handles great, rides comfortable when not in sports mode, 30+ mpg no matter how hard I push it, etc. But alas, it's still not a Miata.

​​​​​​
And of course, during my "sports car phase" I've easily had, or have, 10x the bikes.

We've gotta do what makes up happy, life's too short to waste it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.