Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saddle Question

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Saddle Question

Old 03-07-22, 05:56 PM
Pennman

Bikes: Marin hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Saddle Question

Just bought a new bike (Marin Kentfield) for some exercise on a local rail trail. Have done quite a bit of road biking in the past but haven't ridden for about 5 years. I'm trying to set this new bike up and first thing I need to do is to change the seat due to bph and a pretty big prostrate. Sit bone measurement is 130mm which includes added 20mm. My choices are pretty much down to two; Brooks carved saddle and Selle Italia SLR Boost SuperFlow TDF Road (largest cutout offered by Selle Italia). Not too worried about comfort since I won't be doing any marathons but interested in protecting the vitals. (at 79 who isn't). Any suggestions to this controversial topic would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-22, 06:35 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I would strongly suggest that you find a store that has a trial time frame and a free return policy. That way you can have a chance to try the saddle and get an idea if it is right for you. I have used the Selle Italia and it was nice but not the correct width for me. Try to see if you can try one out.
Frank.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 03-07-22, 07:30 PM
Pennman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I would strongly suggest that you find a store that has a trial time frame and a free return policy. That way you can have a chance to try the saddle and get an idea if it is right for you. I have used the Selle Italia and it was nice but not the correct width for me. Try to see if you can try one out.
Frank.
That's a tough one. I know by mail which unfortunately the least expensive it's a no no. The Selle I'm looking at is the L3 145mm that I would think would fit.
Old 03-07-22, 09:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
Bike shops which sell Selle Italia have a free trial of their seats. Take one out and ride it and see what you think, If that one doesn’t work, try another. Don’t shoot in the dark, ride them and then decide

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-07-22, 10:29 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Even with my greatly enlarged prostrate it never interferred with my riding and exercise is one way to shrink it without dangerous drugs. I learned by accident that my prostrate was blocking my uretha and preventing my bladder from draining and so was putting damaging pressure on my kidneys. I had Greenlight laser surgery and it made a world of difference. Being able to fully empty my bladder I could go through the night without getting up to pee and I could drink as much water with no worries.

Many seats are now designed to be ultra light and not ultra comfortable. I recently bought a new Fizik saddle for my Specialized Creo bike that came with a cheap and uncomfortable saddle. I have acquired a collection of saddles as over the years when I sold a bike I put back on the saddle that came with it and kept my saddle for use on a new bike. I have a Brooks leather saddle that I moved from bike to bike for 45 years.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 03-08-22, 08:02 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Even with my greatly enlarged prostrate it never interferred with my riding and exercise is one way to shrink it without dangerous drugs. I learned by accident that my prostrate was blocking my uretha and preventing my bladder from draining and so was putting damaging pressure on my kidneys. I had Greenlight laser surgery and it made a world of difference. Being able to fully empty my bladder I could go through the night without getting up to pee and I could drink as much water with no worries.

Many seats are now designed to be ultra light and not ultra comfortable. I recently bought a new Fizik saddle for my Specialized Creo bike that came with a cheap and uncomfortable saddle. I have acquired a collection of saddles as over the years when I sold a bike I put back on the saddle that came with it and kept my saddle for use on a new bike. I have a Brooks leather saddle that I moved from bike to bike for 45 years.
Which Brooks saddle do you use? I have been thinking that I would try an Imperial 17 as I like a slotted seat surface.
Frank.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 03-08-22, 08:04 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 404 Posts
In my 70s, with 130mm sit bones and for my particular case saddles that were comfortable for years are no longer, the exception being a Selle Anatomica Titanico with a cut out. A new Brooks B17 Imperial did not go well after an extended breakin period but a new X1 Anatomica is very nice. Trying to understand this I found all Selle Anatomica saddles are designed for 130mm sit bones and Brooks are much wider and I suspect the longer cut out on the Selle has helped as well.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 03-08-22, 08:05 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I ride on BiSaddle on each of my bikes. Adjustable in many directions and comfortable. BiSaddle.com
Likes For texbiker:
Old 03-08-22, 09:10 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Don't ignore the Brooks B17. While the choice of a saddle is highly personal, well, quite a few of us "geezers" seem to like it.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 03-08-22, 11:46 AM
Pennman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Bike shops which sell Selle Italia have a free trial of their seats. Take one out and ride it and see what you think, If that one doesn’t work, try another. Don’t shoot in the dark, ride them and then decide
Yes, that would be ideal and the smart thing to do but the bike shop I purchased my Marin bike in Shippensburg is not a Selle dealer and have none. I'm hesitant to go to a dealer that I didn't buy a bike from and try out saddles. Hence, I'm freelancing right now. Thanks for the advise.
Old 03-08-22, 03:23 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Stores that sell higher end saddles will sell you a higher end saddle - usually with a trial period - even if you didn't buy the bike from them. Don't hesitate. Ask.

(I still use a cut-out saddle because I found one that is so damn comfortable for me, even though I no longer have a prostate. I rode it to my radiation therapy. It doesn't matter which saddle, we are all different.)

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 03-08-22, 06:34 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
... It doesn't matter which saddle, we are all different.

-mr. bill
You said a mouthful, partner. I am partial to Brooks Pro for myself, but I know full well that one size or style does not fit all.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 03-08-22, 06:58 PM
Pennman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
You said a mouthful, partner. I am partial to Brooks Pro for myself, but I know full well that one size or style does not fit all.
Thanks to all who responded. Appreciate it. Answers pretty much what I expected, no one saddle fits all. Worth a try though might have had 20 people jumping on one favorite saddle I'm going to check out the Selle Anatomica series but the Brooks B17 w/carved saddle is still in the running. Only question remaining is whether I'll still be in the running when the weather warms up Starting to feel a little more wobbly but hit the tread mill at least every other day. Winters are tough for Ol'geezers. Thanks again.
Old 03-09-22, 06:48 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
You might evaluate the Selle Italia Man Gel Flow. It measures wider than what you’re measuring but it’s quite comfortable. I use one on my gravel bike and it’s nice to have for the bumps.

Old 03-09-22, 07:14 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,519 Times in 725 Posts
Originally Posted by Pennman
might have had 20 people jumping on one favorite saddle
I know that feeling, I've done the same here; basically asking BF "what's my favorite ice cream?"

Good luck with your saddle search, and I'm sure you'll have a great riding year now winter is waning.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-09-22, 08:27 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
My choices are pretty much down to two; Brooks carved saddle and Selle Italia SLR Boost SuperFlow TDF Road (largest cutout offered by Selle Italia).
I have the SLR and have been happy with it. It has helped with numbness on longer rides.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 03-09-22, 09:14 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
a pretty big prostrate
Aw, now yer just bragging!
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 03-09-22, 08:20 PM
Pennman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Aw, now yer just bragging!
I'd hit the like button if I could find it for that one!
Old 03-09-22, 08:22 PM
Pennman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'd hit the like button if I could find it for that one!
Ah, found it.
Likes For Pennman:
Old 03-10-22, 03:53 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Stores that sell higher end saddles will sell you a higher end saddle - usually with a trial period - even if you didn't buy the bike from them. Don't hesitate. Ask.

(I still use a cut-out saddle because I found one that is so damn comfortable for me, even though I no longer have a prostate. I rode it to my radiation therapy. It doesn't matter which saddle, we are all different.)

-mr. bill
What is your comfortable saddle?
Old 03-10-22, 05:12 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Don't overlook the saddle height, many set the saddle too high from the crank and that usually causes bottom problems.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-10-22, 05:59 PM
Pennman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Well, I was debating to let all know how this turned out but here goes: I can hear all the boos and ahs but after a lot of studying I ordered a Brooks B17, carved saddle. It got down to the Selle Anatomica series which may have been a better choice but I'm a favorite of the traditional, old school craftsmanship.and reputation. Thanks again for all the tips and my apologies to those who I didn't listen to.
Old 03-11-22, 09:12 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Well, I was debating to let all know how this turned out but here goes: I can hear all the boos and ahs but after a lot of studying I ordered a Brooks B17, carved saddle. It got down to the Selle Anatomica series which may have been a better choice but I'm a favorite of the traditional, old school craftsmanship.and reputation. Thanks again for all the tips and my apologies to those who I didn't listen to.
Can't tell if it is boos or ahs unless you tell us what color. [insert silly smiley face]

Hoping for a speedy delivery for you.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 03-11-22, 10:45 AM
Pennman

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Got the honey.
Likes For Pennman:
Old 03-18-22, 05:55 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,519 Times in 725 Posts
That's "oohs and ahhhs" you're hearing. Nice choice.
Likes For BTinNYC:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.