Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Cargo bike for groceries/hauling

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 04-03-22, 11:12 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts

How many of y’all have/use cargo bikes? I’ve never ridden one, but a huge grocery trip can be a pain on a regular bike
Old 04-03-22, 11:45 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Trailer works for me. 2.5 mile to the store.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 04-03-22, 04:33 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
How many of y’all have/use cargo bikes? I’ve never ridden one, but a huge grocery trip can be a pain on a regular bike
A regular bike can handle plenty of groceries or other cargo with a suitable trailer.
This regular bicycle -trailer combo cost a total of $15 at a garage sale and has served quite well for over a decade with no problems for short hauls around town.

Old 04-05-22, 12:38 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
The question is also what you need to haul. You can carry a lot with a regular bike and a trailer as shown above. And old kids trailers are plenty and cheap to find on local classifieds. I have Burley Travoy trailer which which I tow behind my bike and use as a shopping cart inside the store and then just hook on to the bike. I have also built my own cargo bike from an older recumbent tandem bike. This one I use for the heavier loads.
There are quite a few different designs and styles of cargo bikes as well: Two wheelers, three wheelers, long tail bikes, Bakfiets, ... and I think everyone has a different demand on what a cargo bike should do.
I would visit a store which focuses on cargo bikes if you have one in the area to check what style would fit your needs. But be aware new ones can be expensive. And used ones can be hard to find depending where you live. I would probably start with a used trailer and check if that fits your need.
Below are one of my bikes with a trailer and the cargo bike I have built.

Old 04-14-22, 08:26 PM
Bug Shield

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
My lightweight steel touring bike carries 40lbs easily in four panniers but starts getting noodley at 50lbs and beyond. My mountain bike and tandem can each handle about 10lbs more before getting interesting and are both better behaved when overloaded.

I have ridden a Bakfiets with my sister-in-law in the bucket and it handled that load excellently. I have never used one for groceries but It seems like it would be more convenient to just dump everything in the bucket of a Bakfiets than distribute the load to panniers.

I have never ridden a longtail cargo bike but am not convinced that it would be better in any way than a Bakfiets.
Old 04-17-22, 09:39 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Trailer works for me. 2.5 mile to the store.
You have a really cool setup. I like the reflective tape on all the wheels. Your trailer solves hauling just about anything except a piano. I like your overhead light bar. At least you should be able to see well at night.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 04-17-22, 10:03 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
A regular bike can handle plenty of groceries or other cargo with a suitable trailer.

This regular bicycle -trailer combo cost a total of $15 at a garage sale and has served quite well for over a decade with no problems for short hauls around town.

I really like your setup because it uses a bicycle and used trailer that are not hot theft items. Those older Chicago Schwinns are really durable and no one really wants them so good U locks will keep this in your possession. The trailer looks used so again the theft factor is much lower as long as you use a good lock. I find that going shopping at different times will keep thieves from planning their theft. I've lost bicycles that were locked up publicly with good locks that were in the same place every day at the same time. In the early 1980's I had a job in downtown Sacramento and lost a couple of bikes this way. Resorted to rollerskating to work as I only lived 2 miles away from work. I could store my skates in a locked locker in the work area as opposed to outside in a public area for the bicycles.
Old 04-17-22, 10:08 PM
tallbikeman

Originally Posted by Harhir
The question is also what you need to haul. You can carry a lot with a regular bike and a trailer as shown above. And old kids trailers are plenty and cheap to find on local classifieds. I have Burley Travoy trailer which which I tow behind my bike and use as a shopping cart inside the store and then just hook on to the bike. I have also built my own cargo bike from an older recumbent tandem bike. This one I use for the heavier loads.
There are quite a few different designs and styles of cargo bikes as well: Two wheelers, three wheelers, long tail bikes, Bakfiets, ... and I think everyone has a different demand on what a cargo bike should do.
I would visit a store which focuses on cargo bikes if you have one in the area to check what style would fit your needs. But be aware new ones can be expensive. And used ones can be hard to find depending where you live. I would probably start with a used trailer and check if that fits your need.
Below are one of my bikes with a trailer and the cargo bike I have built.

Your converted tandem recumbent into a very nice cargo bike is a really good idea. I had to read you post to understand what it was. That bike looks like it can haul all the groceries for a couple of weeks. Again I am really impressed by your creativity. I own a Ryan Vanguard XL recumbent but it can't begin to haul all the stuff yours can.
Old 04-24-22, 09:26 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I used a Burley Nomad cargo trailer for many years. It was just fine for groceries/shopping/taking random stuff around town and for camping/touring. When my daughter came along, we bought a Douze F1/V2 cargo bike. It's amazing. Seriously, it's the best purchase of a material item I've ever made. Expensive, but worth it.

Douze F1
Old 04-24-22, 09:02 PM
tallbikeman

Your Douze is a very competent cargo hauling bike. I own a cycle truck bicycle with 26" rear wheel and 20" front wheel. A lot can be hauled on a cycle truck but your Dutch style cargo bike is even better. My cycle truck and your cargo bike both suffer from really being unable to put it on public transit. Lately I have seen some Dutch style cargo bikes with electric assist. I own a RAD City e-bike and it has been a real eye opener as to how real world useful an e-bike is. If I was to purchase another pure cargo bike I would opt to have it electric assist. I used my cycle truck for over 20 years then the frame broke. It saved us many gas buying dollars going grocery shopping over the years. Keep up the good work riding your great looking cargo bike.
Old 04-29-22, 08:51 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I'd like something that will carry 2x4s or sheets of plywood from Home Depot.

Until I can do that, I'm limited to what I can squeeze into my Arkel backpack.
Likes For Daniel4: