Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rockshox J1. Repair or replace?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-23, 01:18 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 377 Posts

I have an old Rockshox J1 that's well over 10 years old and likely in need of an overhaul by now.

Is it worth a rebuild or is it tome to upgrade the fork?
Old 03-25-23, 09:30 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,310 Posts
No suspension expert here (although I did a few Mag 21 services way back when) but I would wonder if replacement parts are still even available. IIRC it was the rapid "advancements" and hard life suspension parts saw that fueled the industry to stop looking at the fork as a frame part but a component. Most fork manufactures then chose to offer after sale support (parts/service) for only 3 years. Now that 10 years has gone by... Andy
Old 03-25-23, 04:29 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
is the steerer tube 1" or 1 1/8"?
Threaded or non-threaded steerer?

Have you looked for a rebuild kit yet?
there MAY be something available...

1" steerer forks are getting tough to find..
threaded steerers need to be matched Exactly to the previous fork's length, making them nearly impossible to find.

i'd consider pulling the fork open and cleaning/re-lubing it, then thinking about getting a Rock Shox Recon as an upgrade
IF the fork is a 1 1/8" steerer....

... all bets are off if it's a 1"
Old 03-26-23, 09:17 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I have an old Rockshox J1 that's well over 10 years old and likely in need of an overhaul by now.

Is it worth a rebuild or is it tome to upgrade the fork?
Did it sit in the garage for those 10 years or is it so worn that you can see grooves where the seals contact the fork? As others have noted, your decision might be driven more by availability of the needed parts than the actual wear on the fork.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 03-27-23, 12:28 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Originally Posted by maddog34
is the steerer tube 1" or 1 1/8"?
Threaded or non-threaded steerer?

Have you looked for a rebuild kit yet?
there MAY be something available...

1" steerer forks are getting tough to find..
threaded steerers need to be matched Exactly to the previous fork's length, making them nearly impossible to find.

i'd consider pulling the fork open and cleaning/re-lubing it, then thinking about getting a Rock Shox Recon as an upgrade
IF the fork is a 1 1/8" steerer....

... all bets are off if it's a 1"
1 1/8"

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Did it sit in the garage for those 10 years or is it so worn that you can see grooves where the seals contact the fork? As others have noted, your decision might be driven more by availability of the needed parts than the actual wear on the fork.
It's actually been used the whole time.
I've noticed it's stiffer in movement and doesn't respond to the sharper bumps anymore.
I had a similar shock wear to the point that the front wheel would change direction without the handlebars moving so that was.... terrifying and would prefer to avoid that in the future.

I've seen a few seal kits here and there but honestly not sure what to look for.
Old 03-27-23, 01:33 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
1 1/8"

It's actually been used the whole time.
I've noticed it's stiffer in movement and doesn't respond to the sharper bumps anymore.
I had a similar shock wear to the point that the front wheel would change direction without the handlebars moving so that was.... terrifying and would prefer to avoid that in the future.

I've seen a few seal kits here and there but honestly not sure what to look for.
look for a new fork.. upgrade
Old 03-27-23, 05:02 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Originally Posted by maddog34
look for a new fork.. upgrade
Yeah, I guess there's not much value in the old J1
Old 03-27-23, 10:36 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
With Andrew R Stewart spares are going to be the biggest issue, seals will not be an issues, as there are aftermarket options, anything else for a 10 year old Rock Shox, unless you can find NOS, forget it.

Will it be cost effective vs a new fork, no, will it be worth giving it a go to see if you can, why not, all you lose is a little time, and will gain experience