Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fenders - Size up or Down

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-22, 10:04 AM
smokeycanuck

Bikes: Trek Verve, Surly Wednesday

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hello I recently picked up a Kona Dew and have been having some struggles trying to fit fenders. The tire size is 650 B by 47 mm. Currently I have a pair of fenders 700 C by 50 mm which seem to fit reasonably. I know the rule of thumb is to have fenders 8 to 10 mm wider than the tire. The problem is the fork on the Kona is pretty narrow at the top which would squish fenders of that width. The 50 mm fenders currently in there, although do not provide more than 3 mm of clearance over the tires, fit nicely between the fork.

so my question is would you prefer to have fenders that are perhaps not the ideal width for tire coverage and fit nicely between the stays and the fork? Or would the preference be to have wider fenders that might need some modification at the fork but cover the tire?

Thanks
Old 03-30-22, 10:19 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by smokeycanuck
so my question is would you prefer to have fenders that are perhaps not the ideal width for tire coverage and fit nicely between the stays and the fork? Or would the preference be to have wider fenders that might need some modification at the fork but cover the tire?
Take option #2. It's not unusual to have to crimp (or cut) the fenders at that spot, and/or between the chainstays.
Old 03-30-22, 10:47 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Don't expect an aftermarket set of fenders to fit without modification.

When I had my shop I eventually reached the point of pricing aftermarket fender installations on a time and materials basis. I'm not smart enough to look at a bike and fender and intuitively know which ones are going to bolt right up and which are going to require major surgery.
Old 03-30-22, 11:12 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
It really just depends on your tolerance for a little spray to escape the edges of the fender. Mine only have about 3mm of over-coverage and it's never been a problem, but I live in the southern US. If I rode in Ontario winters, I'd probably opt for wider.
Old 03-30-22, 02:16 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I tend to like tight fender lines so I’m inclined to go smaller

Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 03-30-22, 06:02 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I’m definitely a fan of a good, close fitting fender. I have a set of 45 fenders over the top of 42 tires on one bike. A set of 55’s over 50 tires on another. And a set of 36’s over 32 tires where the mfg says not to run tires wider than 30’s.

A good, straight, and even installation is important if you want to run your fenders close but it’s doable.
Old 03-30-22, 06:20 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I have found that It kind pf depends on the tires and what you are riding through. If they are slicks and its just road spray, that mostly is being flung off from the center of the tire, so you don't need that wide a fender. On the other hand, if you have side lugs that are going to be picking up mud and water, then you want some extra width.

So for my commuter bike, I am fine with fenders barely wider than the tires. On my fat bike I want them a little wider. My rear is cutting it pretty close, and sometimes a tiny bit of mud makes it past.
Old 03-31-22, 05:09 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
FYI/PSA, here is a great tutorial on fitting fenders (including dimpling, re-radiusing, etc).

Nice, tight fender-lines are aesthetically appealing, but if you do any gravel riding tighter fenders are a bit more likely to result in the annoying 'tsssss-zzzzziiiiing, tsssss-zzzzzziiiing!' as tiny stones get picked up by the tires.
Old 03-31-22, 10:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by smokeycanuck
Hello I recently picked up a Kona Dew and have been having some struggles trying to fit fenders. The tire size is 650 B by 47 mm. Currently I have a pair of fenders 700 C by 50 mm which seem to fit reasonably. I know the rule of thumb is to have fenders 8 to 10 mm wider than the tire. The problem is the fork on the Kona is pretty narrow at the top which would squish fenders of that width. The 50 mm fenders currently in there, although do not provide more than 3 mm of clearance over the tires, fit nicely between the fork.

apparently my preference is the latter. I've tortured myself for hours custom mounting fenders on my bikes. don't think I had a choice really. never even considered fenders that weren't wide enough. if your current fenders are fine as-is, I'd leave them alone