Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crank bolt cover/BB

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Crank bolt cover/BB

Old 03-26-23, 09:14 AM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Crank bolt cover/BB

I want to disassemble this to service BB.

1) Does the crankbolt cover unscrew or pry out? I would like to not damage this if possible.
2) Is this tool what I need to remove the lockring on the BB? I know I can get it off with a punch or pipe wrench but would like to do it properly.
3) After the lockring comes off, is there a specific tool to remove the next part, or can I do it with a large adjustable wrench?

Amazon.com : Park Tool (109917) HCW-5 Lock Spanner : Bike Hand Tools : Sports & Outdoors
Old 03-26-23, 09:22 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
The cap should remove with a dime or large screwdriver. It may be stuck pretty well and some damage may occur. Can't say exactly but that appears to be an appropriate spanner for the lock ring. You will also need a crank arm puller.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-26-23, 09:23 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
It's supposed to screw out. Use something wide, like a quarter. A narrower screwdriver blade will likely gouge the plastic.

Worst case, they can also be pried out without damaging the crank's threads.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-26-23, 09:34 AM
louky

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
The cap should remove with a dime or large screwdriver. It may be stuck pretty well and some damage may occur. Can't say exactly but that appears to be an appropriate spanner for the lock ring. You will also need a crank arm puller.
Thanks. I do have a crank puller. I have taken this type of BB apart before, but always on bikes where it didn't matter if there were to marks left on the parts. Just trying to do it right (for a change )
Old 03-26-23, 09:45 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by louky
Just trying to do it right (for a change )
You will never know if it is done right in the age of Internet forums. People will debate argue if leaving the fixed cup on the other side alone or removing it too is the right way. I'm middle of the road on it. If it comes out great, but if it is going to take a lot of force and I'm not painting the frame, I leave well enough alone.

Old 03-26-23, 09:47 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,458 Times in 950 Posts
Thanks. I do have a crank puller. I have taken this type of BB apart before, but always on bikes where it didn't matter if there were to marks left on the parts. Just trying to do it right (for a change )
This is a very standard BB type. Please go to the Park website and read the tutorial, then buy the correct tools. The questions you're asking suggest you are about to damage something out of a lack of familiarity.
Old 03-26-23, 12:49 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
Those dust covers are plentiful on eBay, should you damage it.
Old 03-26-23, 02:10 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
1) Does the crankbolt cover unscrew or pry out? I would like to not damage this if possible.
It should unscrew. It helps to spray with penetrating oil prior to removal, especially if it has not been serviced in a long time. Some of those caps are plastic, and become quite brittle with age, and may shatter when you try to unscrew it. If that happens, drive out the shards (if any) with a hammer and punch, taking care not to damage the extractor threads.
2) Is this tool what I need to remove the lockring on the BB? I know I can get it off with a punch or pipe wrench but would like to do it properly.
Yes, looks good.
3) After the lockring comes off, is there a specific tool to remove the next part, or can I do it with a large adjustable wrench?
The Park HCW-11 is a tool designed for this task.

If you're lucky, the cup will not be too difficult to remove, in which case a 16mm cone wrench or even an adjustable wrench may work, if you're careful.
Old 03-26-23, 11:18 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
if it's a really old plastic cover, it will be brittle.. they crack 6 times out of ten tries.
when the outer portion of the cover breaks away, i've had to chisel the remaining threaded sections out many times.
the trick is to not damage the crank's threads.... and to work within the confine created by the nut or bolt holding the crank on the spindle...
Sometimes you can remove the nut or bolt first... it requires a thin walled, 14mm socket.
Old 03-27-23, 09:21 AM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34

Sometimes you can remove the nut or bolt first... it requires a thin walled, 14mm socket.
Actually, you must remove the bolt or nut.
Old 03-27-23, 01:38 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by canalligators
Actually, you must remove the bolt or nut.
actually, no, you don't... but it sure helps.

and there are times when you CAN'T remove the nut since it's trapped by the cap's threaded section and there's no room to insert a socket.

i have about 75 bikes loaded in a trailer to be hauled to the scrap yard that say i know this subject well.

i use a specially ordered Snap-on Flat blade Screwdriver socket to remove the slotted caps.. the tip is @ 3/4' wide... i bought that tool to adjust mower reel bearings on an old Jacobsen Gang Mower.

what do you use?

Last edited by maddog34; 03-27-23 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-27-23, 05:17 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 307 Posts
I want to disassemble this to service BB.

This sort is supposed to unscrew; I use something like the edge of a cone spanner, but the caps are usually brittle and easy to damage. There are others that are push-in/pry-out which don't get stuck, but tend to fall out.
It's the right sort of tool, but I don't think there was ever a standard for bottom bracket lock-rings (beyond the de facto Campagnolo one) so the fit may not be great. The listing details some dimensions which might give you a better idea of how well it will fit.
There are spanners like this but again no standard to guarantee that it will fit. As long as it moves freely an adjustable wrench should be fine.
Old 03-28-23, 04:53 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
actually, no, you don't... but it sure helps.

and there are times when you CAN'T remove the nut since it's trapped by the cap's threaded section and there's no room to insert a socket.
You can service a bottom bracket without pulling the crank arms?
Old 03-28-23, 10:13 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
You can service a bottom bracket without pulling the crank arms?
He's talking about what happens when a crank cap breaks leaving its threaded part in the crank.