Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

My Custom Yuba Sweet Curry eBike ...

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 07:35 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Still waiting to pick up my new Yuba Sweet Curry eBike ….. Waiting for the shop to rebuild the wheels for extra strength (12g spokes, straight laced) ….. This image was taken when I decided to upgrade from only one battery to two batteries. I finally decided to go with four batteries, for the longer range, which will come in handy for touring, and also riding to work. I have added different handlebars and a different seat.

The custom Battery Box is finished and installed on the bike, which will hold four LiFePo4 20A batteries, each weighing 20 pounds !!! Should give me a range of around 120 miles without pedaling. My knees are pretty much shot for cycling, so the eBike is a good choice for me. I've been riding Uber and Lyft for around 9 months, spending $300-400+ each month !!! The costs for riding an eBike will be minimal …. around $2.50/mo. for charging, or around $30/year.

Old 07-09-18, 07:42 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Custom Battery Box before installation ….. This battery box will hold 4 LiFePo4 Lithium 20A batteries !!!

Notice the Charging Ports front right ... 2 USB ports, 1 cigarette lighter port, and 1 port for charging the eBike batteries. The metal handles on both sides are to secure my huge Surly Big Dummy Panniers, making it a little more difficult to quickly steal the bags.

My personal custom Logo ... Taillight/Brake light and Turn Signals (the two big black bulbs).

My personal custom Logo ... Taillight/Brake light and Turn Signals (the two big black bulbs).

Last edited by vja4Him; 07-09-18 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-10-18, 09:25 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
How much with this rig weigh?
Old 07-10-18, 01:16 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
How much with this rig weigh?
Good question … The Yuba Sweet Curry straight from the factory weighs 44 pounds.

The four batteries weigh 20 pounds each. Not sure how much the battery box weighs … probably around 8-10 pounds. All of the wiring … 1500W motor ... taillights/brake lights … turn signals … four headlights … controller … charger … extra hardware … Surly Big Dummy Panniers … Surly Nice Front Rack with my large Ortlieb Panniers … water bottle cages … computer … and a few other extras … My guess is with no cargo … should weigh around 150-160 pounds. I need to buy a scale so I can weigh all of my touring stuff, which I'm guessing will weigh around 80-100 pounds, possibly more, since I will be carrying a large, heavy Celstron 100mm spotting scope with a large and heavy Manfroto Tripod, 2-Burner Coleman Stove and more …
Old 07-10-18, 02:32 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Will the centerstand accommodate that much weight?
Old 07-10-18, 03:29 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Will the centerstand accommodate that much weight?
I don't know yet ….. I will probably not even bother using the kickstand while touring.
Old 07-10-18, 04:20 PM
trailangel

IMO that's too much weight
Old 07-10-18, 04:48 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Nice work...I love that storage solution.
Old 07-10-18, 07:35 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
IMO that's too much weight
Heavy load touring is not for everyone. With the power of an eBike, weight is really not even an issue.
Old 07-10-18, 08:15 PM
trailangel

The bike with no suspension will ride dead with that much weight.
Old 07-11-18, 08:08 AM
2old

Neat work; which tires have you decided to use, since flats will be a challenge?
Old 07-11-18, 01:29 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Neat work; which tires have you decided to use, since flats will be a challenge?
I decided to upgrade to Schwalbe Marathon Plus, which I have used on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. Only had one flat in 8-1/2 years of cycling with my Trucker ! The front tire looks pretty bad, but still going strong ! So, hopefully ….. I won't have many flats on my Yuba Sweet Curry Cargo Bike …..
Old 07-11-18, 02:28 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vja4Him
I decided to upgrade to Schwalbe Marathon Plus, which I have used on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. Only had one flat in 8-1/2 years of cycling with my Trucker ! The front tire looks pretty bad, but still going strong ! So, hopefully ….. I won't have many flats on my Yuba Sweet Curry Cargo Bike …..
And I suggest some Thorn Resistant (TR) tubes.
Old 07-11-18, 02:30 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I don't know yet ….. I will probably not even bother using the kickstand while touring.
you could always get a motorcycle kick stand if you wanted one.
Old 07-11-18, 03:29 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nfmisso
And I suggest some Thorn Resistant (TR) tubes.
I have heavy-duty tubes and also liners.
Old 07-11-18, 03:31 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nfmisso
you could always get a motorcycle kick stand if you wanted one.
I might need to do that …. I will wait and see if the upgraded kickstand will work ….
Old 07-11-18, 05:35 PM
2old

I've had great success with M+ too (Three years on, no flats).
Old 07-11-18, 09:38 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Still waiting to pick up my new Yuba Sweet Curry eBike ….. Waiting for the shop to rebuild the wheels for extra strength (12g spokes, straight laced) ….. This image was taken when I decided to upgrade from only one battery to two batteries. I finally decided to go with four batteries, for the longer range, which will come in handy for touring, and also riding to work. I have added different handlebars and a different seat.

The custom Battery Box is finished and installed on the bike, which will hold four LiFePo4 20A batteries, each weighing 20 pounds !!! Should give me a range of around 120 miles without pedaling. My knees are pretty much shot for cycling, so the eBike is a good choice for me. I've been riding Uber and Lyft for around 9 months, spending $300-400+ each month !!! The costs for riding an eBike will be minimal …. around $2.50/mo. for charging, or around $30/year.

I have mixed feelings about what you have done here.

Part of me feels you have done an awesome job with a range of things here, but my big reservation is the weight of the batteries.

I'm no expert on e-bikes and the like, but have you gone for some kind of "low tech" solution that is cheaper, but comes with a heavy, weight penalty?

The weight of the batteries seem too excessive.
Old 07-12-18, 09:14 AM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I have mixed feelings about what you have done here.

Part of me feels you have done an awesome job with a range of things here, but my big reservation is the weight of the batteries.

I'm no expert on e-bikes and the like, but have you gone for some kind of "low tech" solution that is cheaper, but comes with a heavy, weight penalty?

The weight of the batteries seem too excessive.
I decided to go with the LiFePo4 Lithium batteries because they should last longer. They are rated at 2000-3000 charge cycles. I doubt they will last for that many life cycles though. I will only be charging around 50-60 cycles per year. I will be happy if the batteries will last for 8-10 years. A friend of mine, who talked me into having a custom built eBike, has several eBikes. The one he rides the most is going on six years, with the same batteries, which are still going strong. He has had absolutely NO problems with any of his eBikes. Just basic maintenance.

I wanted to have a long range, which is why I upgraded to four batteries, which will give me a range of around 120 miles with no pedaling. My health conditions will no longer allow me to pedal much anymore. On a good day, I might be able to handle three miles each way. Bad day, maybe only 1 mile. So, I have a choice …. continue riding Uber/Lyft, which will not allow me to travel, and spend $300-400+ each month, or invest in an inexpensive method of traveling to work, around town, and touring ….

The Yuba Sweet Curry Cargo Bike is rated for 300 pounds of cargo in the rear. No rating for the front, but I'm not going to be carrying much weight in the front, possibly 40-60 pounds. The Surly Nice Front Rack is rated at 70 pounds. My Ortlieb Panniers can easily handle that much weight.

I guess only time will tell how this beast handles and performs ….. Hopefully I will be picking up my eBike next week …. I'm all packed and ready for my first cycling tour starting the end of July into the middle of August, around 400+ miles ….. I'm going to do a practice eBike camping trip first for two or three nights at a local campgrounds …..
Old 07-12-18, 09:18 AM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
For those not familiar with cargo bikes …. Watch this short video …. Absolutely amazing what people all around the world are doing with cargo bikes, which can carry very heavy loads >>>
Old 07-12-18, 10:12 AM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
My eBike is definitely not "Low Tech" … !!! and for sure NOT cheap, by any standards !!!

The heavier batteries are actually more expensive, $450.00 each x 4 … !!! Not counting all the labor to wire the batteries together correctly (I don't know how to do that) …. high-tech controller … 4 Charging Ports on the Battery Box … 2 USB … 1 Cigarette Lighter port … and 1 charging port to charge the eBike batteries … Nice Tail/Brake Lights … Turn Signals … 4 Headlights … and lots more …..
Old 07-12-18, 07:13 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
I decided to go with the LiFePo4 Lithium batteries because they should last longer. They are rated at 2000-3000 charge cycles. I doubt they will last for that many life cycles though. I will only be charging around 50-60 cycles per year. I will be happy if the batteries will last for 8-10 years. A friend of mine, who talked me into having a custom built eBike, has several eBikes. The one he rides the most is going on six years, with the same batteries, which are still going strong. He has had absolutely NO problems with any of his eBikes. Just basic maintenance.

I wanted to have a long range, which is why I upgraded to four batteries, which will give me a range of around 120 miles with no pedaling. My health conditions will no longer allow me to pedal much anymore. On a good day, I might be able to handle three miles each way. Bad day, maybe only 1 mile. So, I have a choice …. continue riding Uber/Lyft, which will not allow me to travel, and spend $300-400+ each month, or invest in an inexpensive method of traveling to work, around town, and touring ….

The Yuba Sweet Curry Cargo Bike is rated for 300 pounds of cargo in the rear. No rating for the front, but I'm not going to be carrying much weight in the front, possibly 40-60 pounds. The Surly Nice Front Rack is rated at 70 pounds. My Ortlieb Panniers can easily handle that much weight.

I guess only time will tell how this beast handles and performs ….. Hopefully I will be picking up my eBike next week …. I'm all packed and ready for my first cycling tour starting the end of July into the middle of August, around 400+ miles ….. I'm going to do a practice eBike camping trip first for two or three nights at a local campgrounds …..

Thanks for the details, it looks like you will have some great adventures with your setup.
Old 07-12-18, 09:21 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the details, it looks like you will have some great adventures with your setup.
I'm really looking forward to touring …. I had pretty much given up on my dreams of touring. Although I was seriously considering on buying a low-mileage min-van when I take out my final retirement in 2-3 years, but then as I was planning my trips with the min-van, I realized that I would still be traveling somedays only 10-20 miles, and when I calculated the costs of owning and operating a mini-van for 10 years ….. the costs would be around $80,000.00 !!! I decided to take out part of my retirement and invest in an electric bicycle, which will only cost me total for the first 10 years, around $15,000.00, possibly a little more, depending on how long the batteries last.

So, now I can do some serious touring several times a year, at a fraction of the cost compared with driving a car/mini-van. And even though I have serious health issues with my feet and back, I will still be able to do some low-impact and short hiking, since the eBike will give me feet a much-needed rest.
Old 07-12-18, 09:55 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
I'm really looking forward to touring …. I had pretty much given up on my dreams of touring. Although I was seriously considering on buying a low-mileage min-van when I take out my final retirement in 2-3 years, but then as I was planning my trips with the min-van, I realized that I would still be traveling somedays only 10-20 miles, and when I calculated the costs of owning and operating a mini-van for 10 years ….. the costs would be around $80,000.00 !!! I decided to take out part of my retirement and invest in an electric bicycle, which will only cost me total for the first 10 years, around $15,000.00, possibly a little more, depending on how long the batteries last.

So, now I can do some serious touring several times a year, at a fraction of the cost compared with driving a car/mini-van. And even though I have serious health issues with my feet and back, I will still be able to do some low-impact and short hiking, since the eBike will give me feet a much-needed rest.
Sounds like youve put a lot of thought into, and adapted a solution to fit your situation and needs. I think thats great and I wish you nothing but succesful, memorable and safe journeys on that purpose-built machine.
Old 07-12-18, 10:14 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder

Sounds like youve put a lot of thought into, and adapted a solution to fit your situation and needs. I think thats great and I wish you nothing but succesful, memorable and safe journeys on that purpose-built machine.
Thanks for your encouragement. I look forward to meeting many fellow cyclists over the years while touring …. I really enjoy listening to the many stories of cycling journeys around the world ….. and watching their videos, like Iohan Gueorguiev …. and others …..