Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Video and Image Editing Apps

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 07-21-18, 09:14 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

What apps would you recommend for editing videos and images of your tours ? I have a Note 8 for the road, but will also be using my Dell laptop (when I'm home) to edit videos and images I shoot while touring.
Old 07-21-18, 09:24 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I use Shotcut. (its free, and open source)

My videos are quite boring though.
Old 07-21-18, 11:03 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
I use Shotcut. (its free, and open source)

My videos are quite boring though.
That's awesome how you mix two videos … one on the left, and one on the right ! I will give Shotcut a try ….. Thanks.
Old 07-22-18, 01:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I use the free version of VSDC.
Old 07-22-18, 06:54 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Not saying it’s a good program but I use Microsoft’s movie maker softwear. Work for what I need with the GoPro.
Old 07-23-18, 12:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I use Adobe Lightroom for still photo editing on the PC. Helps with organizing, consistency and minimizing clutter. Lightroom was unique when first developed because it doesn't actually modify photos -- it's "non-destructive," meaning edits attach instructions to the photos to show them as the final edit will appear when saved or printed. But it doesn't create unnecessary duplicate files to clutter up a hard drive.

Lightroom isn't perfect but after using it for several years I'm accustomed to the workflow. And it works with all my camera raw files.

On my phones and tablets I like Snapseed. I keep trying other apps but none of them works as well as Snapseed -- including Lightroom for Android. My mobile devices record only JPEGs so there's no advantage to a raw editor if it's a slower resource hog. And Snapseed works sort of like a small scale version of Lightroom, recording each step in the editing process that can be undone or modified later (as long as the photo is saved using the option to record and save editing steps).

Thanks for the reference to Shotcut. I've been looking for a decent free video editor. I've tried many but none of them suited me. I keep going back to Windows Movie Maker even though I don't really like it. But it''s less annoying than the other really annoying free video editors. And my desktop PC lacks a really good video card so there's no advantage to a full blown video editor.
Old 07-25-18, 04:57 PM
chainlink

Bikes: Brompton, Tern eLink D7i (sold). RM - Tinker

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@SHBR - what video camera are you using? Very cool videos btw!
Old 09-03-18, 07:21 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4076 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
For images, Darktable and GIMP are pretty great.

Never tried them with movies.
Old 09-24-18, 08:30 AM
Rider_88

Bikes: Stolen Sinner BMX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My editor is rather convenient and full of different tools. Here is the article about it. It has everything to manage with my photos with a mobile device - effects, filters, frames etc. Build in photo collage feature is what I like most about it. I'm not really good at Photoshop or something but this app allows making a suitable picture just with tapping the screen.
Old 09-26-18, 06:59 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
I use Adobe Lightroom 4. I can't say enough good things about it.
Old 09-26-18, 08:10 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I use Adobe Lightroom for still photo editing on the PC. Helps with organizing, consistency and minimizing clutter. Lightroom was unique when first developed because it doesn't actually modify photos -- it's "non-destructive," meaning edits attach instructions to the photos to show them as the final edit will appear when saved or printed. But it doesn't create unnecessary duplicate files to clutter up a hard drive.

Lightroom isn't perfect but after using it for several years I'm accustomed to the workflow. And it works with all my camera raw files.

On my phones and tablets I like Snapseed. I keep trying other apps but none of them works as well as Snapseed -- including Lightroom for Android. My mobile devices record only JPEGs so there's no advantage to a raw editor if it's a slower resource hog. And Snapseed works sort of like a small scale version of Lightroom, recording each step in the editing process that can be undone or modified later (as long as the photo is saved using the option to record and save editing steps).

Thanks for the reference to Shotcut. I've been looking for a decent free video editor. I've tried many but none of them suited me. I keep going back to Windows Movie Maker even though I don't really like it. But it''s less annoying than the other really annoying free video editors. And my desktop PC lacks a really good video card so there's no advantage to a full blown video editor.
My camera works way better with raw photos than jpegs. (The jpegs are fine in sunlight, but it's higher ISO jpeg photos are way worse than the raw files from the same shot.)

I don't like Adobe's subscription model, pay every month or else. I'd rather pay one time.
I've been using DxO PhotoLab, similar to Lightroom. It's "smart lighting" is a one click with a slider that rescues a lot of photos. I have the addon for noise reduction -- when turned on, it takes 30 seconds or more to process a photo, but the results for high ISO noisy photos is quite amazing.

I just got the $20 FastRawViewer. It's very fast to go through a photo session and send most of the shots to a _Rejected sub folder. I was just keeping all the photos in a folder, since it was too slow to wait for a raw photo to render, then decide to keep or delete it. And I didn't want to permanently delete them right away. Now they get sent with one click to the rejected folder, and I can delete the whole folder later.
It's really good at viewing and evaluating exposure, composition, and sharpness. I like it.