Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need Help Picking Replacement Wheel (long)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Need Help Picking Replacement Wheel (long)

Old 10-01-19, 07:51 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
SF, going to have to disagree a bit with you. Most LBSes, IME, do not have skilled wheel builders. They rarely even have someone competent enough to fix an out of true wheel.

OP, at your weight, you should be fine on just about any rear wheel. You're not at the extreme end of weight. You should be able to purchase a Shimano or DT Swiss rear wheel for less than $200.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 10-01-19, 08:18 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G
...I’ve put 11,637 miles on it in 14 months.
Old 10-01-19, 08:33 AM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
The six bolt-ness is optional; you'd just need a centrelock rotor.
That is extremely helpful, Kimmo! I had assumed that the disc to rotor aligment would be different. Also I wasn't sure about rotor thickness and braking surface width.

If so that is especially good, because I am about due for new rotors anyway. Plus, based on what I see for sale, most disc brake road wheels are center lock.

So any 160mm rotor center lock wheel and rotor (for example Shimano 160mm) is compatible with my current 160mm TRP Spyre cable calipers?
Old 10-01-19, 09:05 AM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
I just went through the same process with my bike. Rear wheel cracks at the spokes. Looked all over the internet and just was not sure they would fit. I finally ordered a set through Hunt Wheels. I just sent them the year and model of my bike and they build to fit. Came with skewers and even adaptors to use my 6 bolt rotors on the center lock wheels. (I upgraded to center lock rotors anyways)
Old 10-01-19, 09:55 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't know nearly enough about wheels to buy used.
I missed the part about needing disc rotors in your first post. Sorry!
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 10-01-19, 10:06 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
SF, going to have to disagree a bit with you. Most LBSes, IME, do not have skilled wheel builders. They rarely even have someone competent enough to fix an out of true wheel.

OP, at your weight, you should be fine on just about any rear wheel. You're not at the extreme end of weight. You should be able to purchase a Shimano or DT Swiss rear wheel for less than $200.
I agree with you about a lot of shops don't have a great wheel builder. I hope his does. Even if it's a half decent one though I'd hope it would be better in the end than something from Amazon.
Old 10-01-19, 10:31 AM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I hope your LBS has a good wheel builder. It's not terribly hard to build a wheel and most shops will do it for you. Anyway, the good thing about this route is you can talk to a human being about how and where you ride your bike, what you're trying to get out of your wheels, etc, and they'll be able to recommend a setup that will be a good match for you.

Centerlock is generally preferable, but it's not a big deal, they both work. The dropouts in your bike are going to limit the skewer you can use.
My experince with hired tradesmen in general has been way less than perfect. Bike shops have not been an exception. Most shops seem to have, at best, one mechanic who knows what they are doing. The rest are learners, hired at the lowest wage the labor pool will supply. For that reason, I would prefer to go with a factory made wheelset. But I have not eliminated the option of a local wheel builder.
Old 10-01-19, 10:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

Even still, talk to the mechanic at your LBS; even if you don't have confidence in their ability to build a wheel for you, they might have some insight into what a good wheel for your purposes would be like.
Old 10-01-19, 06:48 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Or just post a thread in the mechanics subforum.
Old 10-01-19, 07:41 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
I would prefer to go with a factory made wheelset. But I have not eliminated the option of a local wheel builder.
I agree that there are people who build wheels who don't do a good job, I should know, but in my opinion a hand built wheel done by a good builder will be superior to a machine built (factory built) wheel in many cases. My best luck with wheels has always been hand built by local builders.

If you'd like to try it yourself get a book called "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt.
Old 10-01-19, 08:44 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Yeah, it's easier than you think. A rear wheel is a bit trickier, but the main thing is to know the half- dozen or so critical pointers, and then you can just use patience to make up for lack of experience.

In fact, I think its quite possible for someone building their first wheel to do a better job than an experienced builder, since you most likely won't be paying for more than an hour's work; he'll get it to 95% good and call that good enough, while you can keep tweaking away till it's 98% or better. Good idea to have some spare nipples on hand, though.
Old 10-01-19, 09:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

I like having nipples around.
Old 10-02-19, 05:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Thanks. Right now I'm looking for the whole wheel assembly. I plan to check some LBS tomorrow, and depending on local whole wheel prices, if they have anyone that laces wheels I may go with the new rim and spokes option.

?
An overbuilt option (probably not too lightweight):
https://www.merlincycles.com/hope-20...00c-95184.html
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-02-19, 07:11 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
An overbuilt option (probably not too lightweight):
https://www.merlincycles.com/hope-20...00c-95184.html
At last, a wheel that fits. But, as mentioned in my OP, I'm looking for a US based seller.
Old 10-02-19, 07:21 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Yeah, it's easier than you think. A rear wheel is a bit trickier, but the main thing is to know the half- dozen or so critical pointers, and then you can just use patience to make up for lack of experience.

In fact, I think its quite possible for someone building their first wheel to do a better job than an experienced builder, since you most likely won't be paying for more than an hour's work; he'll get it to 95% good and call that good enough, while you can keep tweaking away till it's 98% or better. Good idea to have some spare nipples on hand, though.
Forty some years ago, I tried truing my dirt bike wheels. It was no disaster, but didn't turn out particularly well.

Today there is YouTube and written forums, and decades of experience has improved my general DIY skills. But wheel building is a time sink that I don’t want to enter, at least not now.
Likes For Tony_G:
Old 10-03-19, 12:53 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I agree that there are people who build wheels who don't do a good job, I should know, but in my opinion a hand built wheel done by a good builder will be superior to a machine built (factory built) wheel in many cases. My best luck with wheels has always been hand built by local builders.

If you'd like to try it yourself get a book called "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt.
Okay, I finally made a decision today.

I’m going with the wheel builder option. A new DT Swiss R 460 rim with all new spokes mated to my current hub. I’m having it done at a small three person shop, but they have been around for a while. It is going to be approximately $55 for the rim, $55 for spokes, and $50 for labor.

The DT Swiss rim is warrantied for 2 years, but no actual warranty on the wheel build. Shop owner said “case by case basis”, which to me translates to zero.

Won’t be ready until Friday the 11th, they had to order the rim.

Another shop I tried came up with a nice Mavic rim paired with a Shimano hub and freewheel, for around $300. They didn’t do wheel builds. They had no warranty info, which I found off putting.

With the wheel build being half the price of a new rear wheel complete, it was a fairly easy decision.
Old 10-03-19, 01:01 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Okay, I finally made a decision today.

I’m going with the wheel builder option. A new DT Swiss R 460 rim with all new spokes mated to my current hub. I’m having it done at a small three person shop, but they have been around for a while. It is going to be approximately $55 for the rim, $55 for spokes, and $50 for labor.

The DT Swiss rim is warrantied for 2 years, but no actual warranty on the wheel build. Shop owner said “case by case basis”, which to me translates to zero.

Won’t be ready until Friday the 11th, they had to order the rim.

Another shop I tried came up with a nice Mavic rim paired with a Shimano hub and freewheel, for around $300. They didn’t do wheel builds. They had no warranty info, which I found off putting.

With the wheel build being half the price of a new rear wheel complete, it was a fairly easy decision.
Good luck! It sounds like a good wheel if they get the tension right. You never know, I had a guy build a rear wheel for my mountain bike a couple months ago and it has been great. The guy is a friend of my LBS, I think I'll be asking him to build any wheels I might need in the future.