Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SS Arenbern Maid Voyage

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SS Arenbern Maid Voyage

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 04:27 PM
Roadies_Rok

Bikes: Litespeed Arenberg Road Bike; Specialized Crossroads XC Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
SS Arenbern Maid Voyage

Well Folks, as they say: "this puppy is in the can!". I got out this morning and did 20 miles on the Litespeed Arenberg I bought about a week ago and I am very happy. I am going to have to strengthen my core and get used to riding bent over again but that will come with time. The bike is everything I remember in a high end road bike. Fast, accelerates like a rocket ship, carves turns, and comfortable for the long haul. I think I am really going to enjoy this. For anyone looking for a decent wireless bicycle computer as I was until yesterday check Target or Walmart. They have a wireless computer made by Bell, the Dashboard 300. I picked it up because I don't want or need to launch nuclear missiles from my bike not do I need to do open heart surgery. I just need to keep track of my ride miles, average speed, and max speed and this computer does it admirable. later I have an old smart phone that still works and I may activate it on the Tracfone network and start using Strava but that will be later.

I am finding that as I go through my bike I am learning more and more about it. My bike has a 27.2 seatpost which is old school and I like the look and feel of it. The handlebar clamp is 25.4mm while the steerer is 31.8mm which means that if I change the handlebar to a wider bar which I plan to do I will have to get a new stem which I am OK with. I also want to get a stem with a little rise to take a bit of the pressure off my back which also fits into the new bar/new stem mentality. I want to go with a 6 degree stem which I think will do nicely. The tires on my bike are brand new and which I want to swap them out for 25mm or 28mm (current tires are 23mm) I don't like wasting money so I'll stay with the current tires for now. Other than routine maintenance I think I am set for a while, very happy, and looking forward to getting in the miles.

Stay safe everyone and remember, the rubber side goes down :-)
Old 06-08-20, 05:43 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Sounds good. My first Litespeed was a Natchez, the predecessor of the Arenberg. It was a great bike and served me well until I found a deal on the Vortex which I couldn't turn down.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 06-08-20, 09:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Old 06-09-20, 06:32 AM
Roadies_Rok

Bikes: Litespeed Arenberg Road Bike; Specialized Crossroads XC Pro

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Litespud Chapel Hill, NC huh? I knew I liked you. I go down to the Raleigh-Durham area 6 or 8 times a year and really love it down there in fact I have been thinking of moving there for a long time and one day I may just pull the trigger and do it. Stay safe my friend and keep the rubber side down :-)
Old 06-09-20, 06:49 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Are you sure about those stem diameters? 31.8 is the standard bar diameter, the older standard is 26.0. The 25.4 sounds like the steer tube diameter if you have a 1" steerer, the next road bike step up is 1-1/8" (28.6mm). While there are a few bikes with 1-1/4" (31.8mm) steer tubes, I wouldn't expect yours to be one of them. I'd be surprised if you need a new stem for a bar swap, unless you want to change the diameter of your current bars.

Last edited by mprince; 06-09-20 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-10-20, 05:21 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Are you sure they say “the puppy is in the can”?