Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Staples for seat recovering

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-20, 06:47 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts

So I recovered 3 seats so far with mixed results. I used contact cement to do so. Strong stuff. But one started to peel off in the hot Texas sun. I need more to secure it. Many seats have staples. The smaller staples look particularly handy. So where can I get these small size staples and a manual or pneumatic gun for them? The staples would ideally be both narrow and short. See photos.

Last edited by Jicafold; 12-31-20 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-31-20, 07:02 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Have you tried searching online? I just took a very quick look at there are lots available. .25", .375"...stainless, galvanized. Manual guns, pneumatic guns from HF. Lots of moto guys put new/different seat covers on their bikes. Take a look.
Old 12-31-20, 07:23 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Home Depot and Lowes also sell all of the above.
Old 01-01-21, 03:33 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Those look like either T-18 or T-25 staples, I find that most saddles use a T-50 size. I purchase 1/4" Stainless Steel T-50 at Home Depot.

These are the shortest size made and the stainless steel version helps prevent rust-out. We use a hand-held T50 Arrow stapler for recovering saddles. We do about 25-30 a year.

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 01-01-21, 08:16 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Have you tried searching online? I just took a very quick look at there are lots available. .25", .375"...stainless, galvanized. Manual guns, pneumatic guns from HF. Lots of moto guys put new/different seat covers on their bikes. Take a look.
I spent quite a bit of time searching. I couldn't seem to find enough information on the staple guns to indicate what size staples they used and I wasn't sure exactly what size those were in the photos.

Last edited by Jicafold; 01-01-21 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-01-21, 08:21 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Those look like either T-18 or T-25 staples, I find that most saddles use a T-50 size. I purchase 1/4" Stainless Steel T-50 at Home Depot.

These are the shortest size made and the stainless steel version helps prevent rust-out. We use a hand-held T50 Arrow stapler for recovering saddles. We do about 25-30 a year.
Excellent! Thank you.
Old 01-01-21, 08:43 AM
Roadies_Rok

Bikes: Litespeed Arenberg Road Bike; Specialized Crossroads XC Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I don't know about an air driven stapler but you can get a manual or electric stapler just about anywhere like Target, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, most fabric stores and the list goes on. Good luck and watch your fingers :-)
Old 01-01-21, 09:31 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by Roadies_Rok
I don't know about an air driven stapler but you can get a manual or electric stapler just about anywhere like Target, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, most fabric stores and the list goes on. Good luck and watch your fingers :-)
Well, right, But it's the size of the staples they use that is the issue.
Old 01-01-21, 09:51 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
We use a hand-held T50 Arrow stapler for recovering saddles. We do about 25-30 a year.
What do you use as the covering fabric? I have an old Avocet 02 Air that originally came with a Lycra cover that has worn completely out. The base and padding are in decent shape and I'd like to recover it but I'm not sure what with. This model is no longer made so I'd like to put it back into service. Suggestions and sources for the cover? Stapler and staples are already available.
Old 01-01-21, 10:52 AM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Denim, leather (from an upholstery shop or an old thrift shop jacket or bag), marine grade upholstery vinyl...just a couple of ideas. Good luck, and please post pictures when finished!
Old 01-01-21, 11:17 AM
Jicafold

I used just regular vinyl from the upholstery store on the other ones I did.

It seems the problem with the staple guns at Home Depot (I went there and back already) is that the head of the staple gun is twice or more the width of the staple. Would make it hard to use under the nose of a saddle. I need something closer to the width of the actual staple.
Old 01-01-21, 11:20 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by HillRider
What do you use as the covering fabric? I have an old Avocet 02 Air that originally came with a Lycra cover that has worn completely out. The base and padding are in decent shape and I'd like to recover it but I'm not sure what with. This model is no longer made so I'd like to put it back into service. Suggestions and sources for the cover? Stapler and staples are already available.
We use marine grade vinyl. As many of our clients are homeless and the bikes stay outdoors, this the best material as water doesn't soak in.
We have a local car/boat reupholstering company that saves us scrap/remnants of various colors so our cost is just staples and time to save a seat.

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 01-01-21, 08:12 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've used Household Goop to re-secure vinyl and leather skins on saddles. Also liquid electrical tape to repair minor cuts.
Old 01-02-21, 03:23 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by Jicafold
I used just regular vinyl from the upholstery store on the other ones I did.

It seems the problem with the staple guns at Home Depot (I went there and back already) is that the head of the staple gun is twice or more the width of the staple. Would make it hard to use under the nose of a saddle. I need something closer to the width of the actual staple.
Yes that makes it difficult

As I said before, the staples you showed in the picture were either T-18 or T-25. They will not fit in a T-50 stapler. Those sizes are typical for wire installation like telephone or coax cable. Going to be hard to find in short, stainless steel staples. I believe the T-18 & T-25 comes as short as 3/8" but not in stainless, if not in the hardware section, check the electrical dept for the smaller sizes.

https://arrowfastener.com/

Old 01-02-21, 09:06 AM
Jicafold

Ok. Those T50 size staples you mentioned would work well. I'll search the net to see if I can find a narrower stapler for them Thank you.

This one might work well. It has a narrow tip.

https://arrowfastener.com/tool/t50ac/
Old 01-03-21, 12:40 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by Jicafold
Ok. Those T50 size staples you mentioned would work well. I'll search the net to see if I can find a narrower stapler for them Thank you.

This one might work well. It has a narrow tip.

https://arrowfastener.com/tool/t50ac/

I think I saw that model at the Lowes website, I have been considering getting the Pro electric one based on how many saddles we have recovered.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Arrow-T50AC...e-Gun/50414720

Old 01-03-21, 07:56 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Locktite Shoe Glue works well for me repairing saddles, and since it never rains in socal (my bikes are garaged anyway), a small Swingline stapler does an adequate job where necessary.
Old 01-03-21, 11:01 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

T18 and T25 staples are for stapling cable eg telephone and coax respectively. They have round crowns and are not driven flush by the guns that use them.