Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New classic frame

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New classic frame

Old 10-12-21, 10:57 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
New classic frame

Would you buy a brand new classic frame?
https://cycle.panasonic.com/products..._order/frcc02/
Cost will be $1480 + $150 shipping + taxes (+ extra for painting).
Old 10-12-21, 11:13 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 2,501 Times in 1,045 Posts
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Nothing obviously wrong with that Panasonic, and I have no problem with resurrecting good production steel frames. In fact, I hope that market takes hold. It's just that (1) I do not need and am not hungry for a new frames and (2) if I were to get something modern, I'd splurge for a custom (which I also do not need) from one of a very short list of builders. But that's just me.
Old 10-12-21, 11:22 AM
hose
Miyata Mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I cannot read japanese but if that is the full bike price... thats not bad?
Likes For hose:
Old 10-12-21, 12:18 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Nothing obviously wrong with that Panasonic, and I have no problem with resurrecting good production steel frames. In fact, I hope that market takes hold. It's just that (1) I do not need and am not hungry for a new frames and (2) if I were to get something modern, I'd splurge for a custom (which I also do not need) from one of a very short list of builders. But that's just me.
I sense another who/what/where, past/present custom frame thread coming on.

And maybe on the Panasonic.
Old 10-12-21, 01:07 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Pig In A Poke???

Originally Posted by phtomita
IMLTHO that's a lot of money for a bare production frame. ...and can you explain "+ extra for painting" ?

$1630 for the frame and shipping + taxes which could include duty and other fees associated with importing the frame and so on.

Unless you're fluent in Japanese, you're buying "a pig in a poke".

I used to read a little Japanese and couldn't find any specifications on the frame, I.E. sizes, angles, wheel clearance and so on. Also, it's not clear whether they're selling a bare frame or a complete bike or what? Is it a custom order???

What if? If you get the frame and the size is wrong or you don't like something about it, you can't just run down to your LBS or send it back to Amazon!

In almost 40 years of dealing with major Japanese manufacturers associated with the metal working industry (Mitsubishi, Mitituyo, OSG and so on), it's always best to work through their local in country operations. Things may have changed a lot over those years but the Japanese were proud of their lack of English writing skills - JINGLISH!

Also the bike industry...

Fill us in the the details about the Panasonic frame...

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 10-12-21, 01:22 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Speaking of new classic-looking frames. I'll be honest, it's all I can do not to pull the trigger on a Toussaint. A bunch of money sitting in paypal isn't helping either. I disassembled my last low-trail project and miss the handling. Both my 650b wheelsets are ~126mm spacing so that's keeping me right now. It looks like a perfect parts bike for the person who has a 650b rimbrake wheelset already. Not to mention that's pretty cheap for a modern new frame compared to the venerable cheap frame standby, CrossCheck.

​​​​​​https://www.cyclestoussaint.com/coll...with-braze-ons
Old 10-12-21, 01:23 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I was looking at custom frame options using Google translate, and they let you choose your preferred 'rugset', that is, your choice of 'rugs' in the construction.
Old 10-12-21, 01:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
More on the Panasonic Order System here: 2021 Panasonic Keirin Framesets $1695 at Yellow Jersey
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-12-21, 03:25 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Well, I would and I did recently buy a new production classic frame-set from another brand overseas. In my case the transaction included several phone calls from the owner (of this legacy marque) which took some of the uncertainties out of the process. Fortunately he spoke English very well and his interest in a good outcome was clear from the beginning. Without this type of personal interaction there could be a lot of question marks remaining in the process. Good luck if you choose to proceed.
Old 10-12-21, 03:43 PM
swen0171 

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-3, 1981 Trek 613, 1988 Fisher Montare, 1986 Univega Alpina Uno, 2010 Surly Long Haul trucker, 2004 Rivendell Quickbeam. 1970s Gitane Mixtie (60cm), 1994 Diamond Back Axis TT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Speaking of new classic-looking frames. I'll be honest, it's all I can do not to pull the trigger on a Toussaint. A bunch of money sitting in paypal isn't helping either. I disassembled my last low-trail project and miss the handling. Both my 650b wheelsets are ~126mm spacing so that's keeping me right now. It looks like a perfect parts bike for the person who has a 650b rimbrake wheelset already. Not to mention that's pretty cheap for a modern new frame compared to the venerable cheap frame standby, CrossCheck.

Any idea about the 650b wheelset on the Toussaint site? Under $250 shipped to the US seems like it’s too good to be true, especially with all the production issues right now. I’m building an early Soma Grand Randonneur this winter and just assumed I’d have to build wheels. I’m very tempted given that the expensive wheel build was going to stretch this project out for months.
Old 10-12-21, 03:49 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Originally Posted by swen0171
Any idea about the 650b wheelset on the Toussaint site? Under $250 shipped to the US seems like it’s too good to be true, especially with all the production issues right now. I’m building an early Soma Grand Randonneur this winter and just assumed I’d have to build wheels. I’m very tempted given that the expensive wheel build was going to stretch this project out for months.
Agreed. I've been looking on and off for a 130 OLD 650 wheelset and those are hard to find. That's an attractive price.
Old 10-12-21, 03:52 PM
reissue59

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 67 Posts
One builder comes to mind
Marinoni
lugged steel, SL tubing, any color, your size, chromed fork and rear stays with headset
1400$ CAN
they also do modern lugless frames, aluminium and titanium in house.
Likes For reissue59:
Old 10-12-21, 03:56 PM
bikemig 

Wow, I've paid no attention to bike prices lately (one of the advantages of riding old bikes I guess). They've really gone up. The 650b Soma and VO bike frames are both close to $1,000 just for the frame. That's a lot of money for a new steel frame.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-12-21, 04:09 PM
swen0171 

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-3, 1981 Trek 613, 1988 Fisher Montare, 1986 Univega Alpina Uno, 2010 Surly Long Haul trucker, 2004 Rivendell Quickbeam. 1970s Gitane Mixtie (60cm), 1994 Diamond Back Axis TT

Originally Posted by bikemig
Agreed. I've been looking on and off for a 130 OLD 650 wheelset and those are hard to find. That's an attractive price.
I’ve been planning to build the wheels as a project, haven’t built wheels before, but maybe buying this set and working it over with a spoke tension tool might be a good first step.
Old 10-12-21, 04:12 PM
bikemig 

I’ve been planning to build the wheels as a project, haven’t built wheels before, but maybe buying this set and working it over with a spoke tension tool might be a good first step.
Building wheels is fun. If you've trued up your own wheels, these won't teach you much you don't already know.
Old 10-12-21, 04:13 PM
swen0171 

Originally Posted by bikemig
Wow, I've paid no attention to bike prices lately (one of the advantages of riding old bikes I guess). They've really gone up. The 650b Soma and VO bike frames are both close to $1,000 just for the frame. That's a lot of money for a new steel frame.
I found a NOS early version of the Soma for a good deal, so starting the slow project of building a modern low trail 650b bike. But with inexpensive wheels a possibility, now I’m thinking that I could probably build an 7/8/9 speed version mostly out of the parts bin!

Every time I try to build a modern bike it turns put vintage!
Old 10-12-21, 04:22 PM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
That's one frame among many in the "Panasonic Order System". The customer can choose among many options and color schemes. 148,500 yen (including tax) for the frame; less than double that for the whole bike with 105, more than double it for the whole bike with Ultegra.

Advantages (here in Japan) over a ready-made frame include a much greater range of sizes and color schemes; advantages over an order-made frame from a smaller shop include a pretty reasonable price and a shorter time between ordering and delivery. Advantages over a plastic frame costing about the same -- well, I needn't list these here.

I have one that's very close to this (though with very different paintwork) and a decade old. I bought it used and had it built up. I ride it a lot and enjoy it. I'm rather glad that it wasn't exported to the US (other perhaps than "grayly"): this is I suppose the reason why the fork lacks those tiresome lawyer lips.

As for the letter above, I find it understandable and amicable. I suspect that Cyclone demonstrates more effort, expertise and success with English than virtually any bike manufacturer in "the anglosphere" would have done with Japanese. The English-language education industry in Japan remains confused and grotesquely inefficient, but its end-product includes a lot of Japanese people who can converse in English; in addition, of course, to a greater number who cannot.
Likes For microcord:
Old 10-12-21, 06:42 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1970s Carlton Kermesse, 1982 Peugeot PB 12

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 155 Posts
swen0171-

My brother is a professional bike mechanic who owns a Cycles Toussaint Routier. He recently ordered an extra set of the 650B wheels you were discussing and was very pleased with them.
Likes For bertinjim:
Old 10-12-21, 07:05 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts

Crap... So glad you posted an addiction trigger. Any experience with those frames?
Old 10-12-21, 07:06 PM
phtomita

Originally Posted by verktyg
IMLTHO that's a lot of money for a bare production frame. ...and can you explain "+ extra for painting" ?

$1630 for the frame and shipping + taxes which could include duty and other fees associated with importing the frame and so on.

Unless you're fluent in Japanese, you're buying "a pig in a poke".

I used to read a little Japanese and couldn't find any specifications on the frame, I.E. sizes, angles, wheel clearance and so on. Also, it's not clear whether they're selling a bare frame or a complete bike or what? Is it a custom order???

What if? If you get the frame and the size is wrong or you don't like something about it, you can't just run down to your LBS or send it back to Amazon!

In almost 40 years of dealing with major Japanese manufacturers associated with the metal working industry (Mitsubishi, Mitituyo, OSG and so on), it's always best to work through their local in country operations. Things may have changed a lot over those years but the Japanese were proud of their lack of English writing skills - JINGLISH!

Also the bike industry...

Fill us in the the details about the Panasonic frame...

verktyg
I do pretty well with Japanese.
Here are the geometry of the frame

Old 10-12-21, 08:00 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
I had some dialog with Panasonic USA a few years ago, after running into two exploratory Pana Japan staffers manning an actual booth at NAHBS. Since this was a few years back, I'm definitely not current with whatever they might be thinking/doing now.

What I was told then was that Pana USA had zero interest in any bicycle product other than e-bikes, which they intended to seriously pursue. They were not willing to consider any form of direct sales of non-e product into the US market through Pana USA, or any authorized Pana USA agents.

Any non-electric Pana Japan product being imported into the US, including Yellow Jersey's frames, was being done through Japan-based LBS/retailer gray market channels.

You might ask why Pana Japan had two employees with a booth at NAHBS/USA displaying bikes and seeking feedback for product they were not intending to sell directly into the US market. I was definitely scratching my head. But keep in mind both the home company and subsidiary are huge, so who knows what anybody was thinking. Maybe Japan just wanted to get an idea of where the US market for high-end non-e bikes was. You could think maybe the two staffers were mainly there to gather intel, but they could've done that easier/cheaper without spending time/money for a booth. Who knows?

In terms of what we see on Pana Japan's page, the 150k yen price shown is for the frame only, there are also prices shown for Ultegra/105 spec, but no details. Turnaround time in Japan from time of order is quoted as about 1 month. This frame is called out as "Full Order," which I think likely means it's part of Pana Japan's Panasonic Order System (they coined "P.O.S.," and have valiantly lived with it since the '80s). Which doesn't mean full-custom, built to order, it means the buyer gets to choose from a long list of proscribed options.

Just to give an idea, here's a link to their Track Frame Full Order System, which is what Yellow Jersey is basing their track frames on:
https://cycle.panasonic.com/products...os/#trackracer

Not sure where OP is getting the + $150 shipping and + paint quote from, but does that mean Pana Japan is saying/implying they'll ship direct to the US? It's hard to imaging them bypassing Pana USA and shipping direct to the US, whether to end users or retailers. I'd be interesting in hearing more about that...

In terms of value/etc: horses for courses, it depends, who's to say, yadda yadda yadda.

$1,500+ isn't cheap for a lugged steel production frame, I suppose, but a stock Mercian will cost you as much or more, and lower-cost Bob Jackson hasn't resurfaced after the business was sold to Mercian. And for folks who like to order from an extensive menu, I don't know if anybody has a more extensive menu than Panasonic.

Somebody on Classic Rendezvous got himself a very nice Panasonic sport-tour maybe quasi-rando bike this year, from Japan. Didn't hear the details about how, but it was a pretty machine.

Originally Posted by phtomita
Old 10-12-21, 08:19 PM
phtomita

Old 10-12-21, 08:30 PM
phtomita

Originally Posted by pcb
Not sure where OP is getting the + $150 shipping and + paint quote from, but does that mean Pana Japan is saying/implying they'll ship direct to the US? It's hard to imaging them bypassing Pana USA and shipping direct to the US, whether to end users or retailers. I'd be interesting in hearing more about that...
The Panasonic Order System doesn't sell retail (from what I understood navigating the site). I was digging around and found out the https://alexscycle.com/ that is an authorized retailer in Japan and asked them for the shipping cost for bare frame only.
There is some thread about Alex's Cycle in BF.

For paint, there are different different color/pattern you can choose from - prices in Japanese Yen (dividing by 100 gives a rough value in US dollars)
https://cycle.panasonic.com/products...c02/color.html
Old 10-12-21, 08:51 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 261 Posts
I have a couple Chi-talian bicycles. My 2016 Masi was a "new" classic. My Colnago Super Single is also made in China. For what these are they are not bad. If you like a steel frame they are mostly not bad. If you're looking for the best performing in new steel usually a companies Retro bikes look cool but sometimes lack the qualities you would want in a dailly rider. But like in most things the main rule is to get what you like!

JJ
Old 10-13-21, 05:21 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
I have a set of these ready to go on a bike in my shed and have had zero time to ride other than a mile or so to make sure the brakes were set correctly. They did fine fir that but obviously not a full report.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.