Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The basic stuff

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The basic stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 07:34 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I ride in some pretty remote areas where towns are few and far between let alone having any kind of a bicycle shop in them. I'm of the age where in my teens there were no such things as cell phones. When I tour I want to be able to fix most anything that can go wrong on my bike. In the 1980s one rainy night I punctured with a slow leak. I could not find that hole even after immersing the tube in some standing rain water. That incident taught me to carry a spare tube on every ride. Get a flat? Pull out the old tube, check the tire for the debris that punctured it, put in new tube, pump it up and ride. Repair the tube at home or at a campsite if touring. Sure beats trying to patch a tube in the rain.

Cheers
Old 07-09-20, 08:00 PM
Pugs2xLove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Had trouble on my commuter bike twice and I've owned it since March 2020. Broke my chain when I was a mile from my car and the most recent trouble was about a month ago when I blew out my front tire while crossing a gravel road. Could not remove the tire to change out tube and my car was about 20-plus miles away. A couple stopped to help and it took the gentleman 10 minutes to change out my tube. Found out he was the owner of a LBS from the nearby county while chatting. I was so fortunate and thankful that day for his assistance. So far I have not visited his shop but plan on doing so in the future when I need work done on my bikes.
Old 07-09-20, 10:26 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I called for a pick up once, 3 miles from home, when a stick got intimate with my rear derailer and spokes; I didn't know a derailer could bend that way.

I can (and have) fix a flat and lube my entire drive train. I once fixed a flat (rear tire, natch) on my new bike next to a busy highway. It was my first time doing it with hydro disc brakes, and I did everything wrong, but somehow it worked out anyway.
Old 07-14-20, 04:58 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I keep and know how to use a set of tools on my bike. They're intended to get me back home, not do full maintenance or extensive repair. And I've been able to get a few other folks home as well while out riding around town.
Old 07-14-20, 07:42 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 86 Posts
I have the knowledge on how to change a flat and also the tube. What I lack is faith in my skills. I have changed flats and then brought them to a bike store to have them double check. I do not carry tools to fix anything at this time as I lost my rack bag on a road while my bike was on the back of my car while I was driving home from a short 2 day tour last summer. I have yet to replace the bag(can't find the same one). And I do not have mechanical aptitude which I think is very necessary in fixing all things bike related.

Though on the other end of this I did once get a flat 1 mile from work while the temp was a chilly 21 f degrees at 5:30 am. I would not even think about changing it at that temp in the darkness on the side of the road. I walked the bike to work. I try and not bother other
people with situations I put myself in.
Old 07-20-20, 11:39 AM
Synmag

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The only tool I carry on my rides is a bus pass. When I was a kid I received an old bike which I completely took apart and put back together. I have fixed a flat a few years ago but I can't recall how I picked it up as I have never been stranded. Must have been a slow puncture where it went flat at home. But I do use protected tires and take care not to hit edges head on that might cause a blowout. I did replace tires a few years ago.
Old 07-20-20, 11:41 AM
Synmag

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's different in a survival issue

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I ride in some pretty remote areas where towns are few and far between let alone having any kind of a bicycle shop in them. I'm of the age where in my teens there were no such things as cell phones. When I tour I want to be able to fix most anything that can go wrong on my bike. In the 1980s one rainy night I punctured with a slow leak. I could not find that hole even after immersing the tube in some standing rain water. That incident taught me to carry a spare tube on every ride. Get a flat? Pull out the old tube, check the tire for the debris that punctured it, put in new tube, pump it up and ride. Repair the tube at home or at a campsite if touring. Sure beats trying to patch a tube in the rain.

Cheers
I never carry tools/spares etc. but obviously I would approach remote rides differently. Common sense I guess.