Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Heather Cook Released

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Heather Cook Released

Old 05-18-19, 08:29 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Maybe there will be a civil suit that will keep her impoverished and unable to afford an auto. She might show up here Living Car Free.
A sanctimonious preacher: a perfect fit!
Old 05-19-19, 06:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
My hope is that she will not be granted a drivers license for many years to come.
Old 05-19-19, 11:36 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
My hope is that she will not be granted a drivers license for many years to come.

Because we all know nobody ever drives without a valid license. Riiiiight. The system is broken.

-Kedosto
Old 05-19-19, 07:31 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
"The Bishop" was a Monty Python sketch, no?
And Karl Marx almost won a lovely living room ensemble as well.
Old 05-21-19, 10:22 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I thought I remembered that name, thanks for posting the update even if it is bad news.
Old 05-24-19, 02:50 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
She is a person who through extreme personal negligence did seriously bodily injury leading to the death of another human being. If she had shot someone with a gun would she be getting released early? And in any case ... what has she done to deserve early release? has the victim come back to life?
Don't forget about the fact, that, the Episcopal Church knew about her drinking. I am a Christian. But all they did, was re-assign her. They didn't make any attempts of sending her to AA.
Old 05-30-19, 07:21 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
She was tried and convicted. She was stripped of her post as a bishop. She is an alcoholic and a convicted killer. She served time unlike many killers of cyclists. More prison time isn't going to bring back her victim and is unlikely to assuage the grief of the victim's family and friends. I don't know if she served enough time in prison or not but continued incarceration for her is probably an unwise use of community resource to deter future drunk driving and cyclist deaths by drunk drivers.
Old 05-31-19, 06:45 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho
She was tried and convicted. She was stripped of her post as a bishop. She is an alcoholic and a convicted killer. She served time unlike many killers of cyclists. More prison time isn't going to bring back her victim and is unlikely to assuage the grief of the victim's family and friends. I don't know if she served enough time in prison or not but continued incarceration for her is probably an unwise use of community resource to deter future drunk driving and cyclist deaths by drunk drivers.
There is underlying this, the unanswered question of "Why prison?"

Punishment, rehab, sequestration?

I'd say, she willfully took a human life and deserves punishment. Whether or nto this deters anyone else int he future is not really the point---some sense of justice must be maintained. When rich people get out of prison by paying fines and poor people doing exactly the same crime do jail time, the issue isn't what's most cost-effective for society---the issue is that the plain injustice causes outrage and shows the system to be unfair. While it might save dollars today, it leads to a perception that the system is rigged, which cause greater disrespect for laws, lawmakers and worst of all LEOs.

So ... yeah, she did some jail time which is rare for a cyclist-killer ... but the fact that it is rare points up the problem.

Rehab? I'd say she is set in her ways.

Sequestration? Valid, IMO. The fact that she will never get a driver's license will not stop her from drinking and driving ....
Old 05-31-19, 11:25 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho
I don't know if she served enough time in prison or not
You don't? Hmmm. Resources? In her very jurisdiction the Criminal (In)Justice System has no problem handing out decades long sentences for armed robbery even when there is not death resulting. Lawmakers there are hard at work on making it an imprisonable felony to be delinquent in the payment of Traffic Citations and even Utility Bills! Venture Capital for the construction of For Profit factory prisons is skyrocketing. I'm just not sure it is being considered as a matter of 'resources'.
Old 05-31-19, 11:28 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by Chris0516
Don't forget about the fact, that, the Episcopal Church knew about her drinking. I am a Christian. But all they did, was re-assign her. They didn't make any attempts of sending her to AA.
Your point? The Catholic Church didn't send any of its pedophile Bishops to PA. All they did was re-assign them. <shrug>
Old 05-31-19, 11:38 AM
Leisesturm

I don't think it is fair to say that it is 'rare' to see drivers go to jail for killing cyclists. They do go to jail. Just not for very long. Often it isn't as cut and dried, the killing of a cyclist, as, say, a pedestrian. Martha Stewart, Heather Cooke ... scapegoats. Low hanging fruit. Not much terrible is going to happen to either one behind bars. Send some Millenial up and coming tech entreprenneur to some hard time for a 'tragic accident' and the blowback from his inevitable consequences from incarceration might become the subject of a Documentary on Alternatives to Incarceration down the line. I am pretty sure that as soon as the fuss dies down Ms. Cook will get her driving privileges back. What a waste to the State GDP if she can't buy gasoline, car insurance or a new car every 10 years and/or the upkeep of same. The victim ... sad ... but they were riding a bike at the time of their demise ... who does that? Sad, just very sad all round but lets everyone keep a level head and not throw the baby out with the bathwater ...
Old 05-31-19, 11:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
Pretty good sarcasm and a pretty bleak strain of realism too.
Old 06-03-19, 02:08 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Your point? The Catholic Church didn't send any of its pedophile Bishops to PA. All they did was re-assign them. <shrug>
I didn't mention her denomination, to compare it with the behavior of priests in the Catholic Church, or to even imply that it was worse. ATST, While different crimes. The reactions' of the respective Christian denominations. Was the same.