Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

mouth pain after/during long rides

Old 05-02-21, 06:50 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
mouth pain after/during long rides

Anyone else get a sore mouth on/after long rides? Roof of mouth, gums, kind of hurts to swallow? I feel like I've heard people talk about it, but not finding much on the internet. Anyone else get this *and* have found a solution? It only happens to me sometimes, but I haven't figured out the pattern.

And no, it's not because of scratchy French baguettes.
Old 05-02-21, 07:19 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Are you taking any Medication's?
Good Be Side Effects?

Old 05-02-21, 07:40 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Occasionally. I think the only cure is ranndonesia

The thing I get that would be easy to fix is chapped lips. I think that's pretty common.
Old 05-02-21, 08:00 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Try chewing gum every few hours.
Old 05-02-21, 09:13 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Are you taking any Medication's?
Good Be Side Effects?
Yes to medication, but not on the list of side effects.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Occasionally. I think the only cure is ranndonesia

The thing I get that would be easy to fix is chapped lips. I think that's pretty common.
Yeah, I get that too, especially on cold-ish spring rides with lots of pollen in the air. But if I put on chapstick more often I'd solve that one. I'd just have to remember to dig it out of my pack before it starts to hurt.

Originally Posted by znomit
Try chewing gum every few hours.
I...do not think riding a bike and chewing gum are two things I can do together. Haha. I'd swallow it. Could try gumdrops or taffy, though.

I'm wondering if it's just mild electrolyte imbalance/hydration issues, but not strong enough in either the not-enough-salt or not-enough-water direction to give me any of the more obvious symptoms.
Likes For antimonysarah:
Old 05-02-21, 09:15 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Yeah. I guess I attribute it to eating so much food. Variety helps. I've started using different types of liquid fuel, to reduce the amount of solid food I have to eat. That seems to help.
Old 05-03-21, 02:12 AM
doconnor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Possibility one - something like exercise induced asthma due to cold, dry air? At least for the throat discomfort?

Possibility two - too much sugar?

Possibility three, dehydration?
Old 05-03-21, 06:04 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
It could be an ingredient in your fuel. Does your diet vary from ride to ride? If so, this could explain the random nature of sore mouth/throat. I avoid citrus fruit and ascorbic acid on long rides and also only take a ride on the little red ambulance when critical.....I find those tear up my mouth and gut. I have found that I have to eat a lot on long rides and if I consume too much high fructose corn syrup, my mouth gets sore. If I eat too much fructose in general, I have GI distress. So, I minimize both. This is a long shot but worth considering.

I find pine pollen this time of year makes my mouth and throat burn to the point of discomfort but not pain. I have not found a solution. This is very repeatable for me.
Old 05-03-21, 07:33 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
When I've had similar symptoms, it seemed to be caused by not drinking enough. (Mouth breathing under a load, starting to dehydrate, the back of my mouth is where the incoming air dries out the tissue.) Consciously drinking every 15 minutes or so helps a lot.
Old 05-03-21, 07:40 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
I took Singulair for Six years then the Side Effects showed up.
Dried Cracked Swollen Painful Lips.
Then all my teeth began to Hurt.

Side effects of Singulair include:

Old 05-10-21, 12:00 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I've had throat irritation and dry mouth. Besides allergens, I thought it was just from breathing heavily through the mouth. I find that some hard candy or such to suck on helps.
Old 05-11-21, 06:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
It's usually from using a sugary sports drink. If that's the case, switch to one which uses maltodextrin instead. You want a sports drink with almost no flavor, just a hair to make it palatable.
Old 05-12-21, 08:35 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Get a dental checkup and mention it.
Old 05-13-21, 08:07 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by antimonysarah
Anyone else get a sore mouth on/after long rides? Roof of mouth, gums, kind of hurts to swallow? I feel like I've heard people talk about it, but not finding much on the internet. Anyone else get this *and* have found a solution? It only happens to me sometimes, but I haven't figured out the pattern.

And no, it's not because of scratchy French baguettes.
Take some Vit C

Also, don't use Gatorade!
Old 05-13-21, 11:51 AM
antimonysarah

Originally Posted by Machka
Take some Vit C

Also, don't use Gatorade!
Interestingly enough, I think "use Gatorade" might be closer to the right answer for me. I think, looking back, that I must have been a little short on electrolytes; one of the controls was a wonderful little cafe with great herbal tea, and I bought two large iced teas, drank a bunch and and filled up my bottles with the rest, instead of using powdered sports drink (Skratch, which I did have with me). So I had no sugar or electrolytes in there, and when I stopped at another control I bought a can of soda, but I drank that all right there and continued with the tea in my bottles for the rest of the ride. I wasn't dehydrated after (based on pee and not having any other symptoms). But I was also not sipping at my bottles -- I was drinking in occasional drain-half-a-bottle chunks I think in part because it wasn't sweet/salty; gatorade or skratch I will sip at.

For some of the other suggestions: pollen was definitely prevalent in the (cold, dry, blowing a headwind in my face for the first half) air. I don't have exercise-induced asthma but I am a bit of a mouth-breather when exercising in general.

But I think the lesson of this (and my PBP DNF) is that I can eat whatever looks good at fun stores along the way but I need to fill my bottles with something with at least a little sugar, standard "exercise" electrolyte levels, and no caffeine (caffeine mismanagement was PBP, not this ride). And if that means carrying powder and using it, it means carrying powder and using it.

I've only had this happen occasionally over many years of randonneuring -- like once a year or so.
Old 05-13-21, 08:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I've been carrying powder for a long time. Maltodextrim/chocolate flavored whey protein mixed 7:1 by weight. On long rides, I mix 2 cups in a 24 oz. or liter bottle with water. That'll get me to the next control or somewhere. The other bottle (or Camebak for long hot ones) has plain water. I never mix electrolytes in, preferring to use Hammer Endurolytes as seems good depending on the temperature and ride effort. Since I started doing this, I've never had a nutrition issue. I eat anything that looks good at controls or mini-marts, Hostess fruit pies being a fave, sandwiches, anything but sports bars and that sort of thing. I'd rather eat a Twinkie! Never a real meal, though. I can carry enough powder in my Ortlieb large saddle bag to get through a 400 if I supplement at controls. That strategy would not work on PBP, though. Well, maybe with one pannier or some such. I usually do a 6-swallow suck, 6 on the food bottle, then 6 on the water.
Old 05-14-21, 04:33 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Carbonfibreboy, do you mean two 8 oz cups of Malto into a liter of water or two of those small caps ? Either way, have you found a good way to keep the clumping down when mixing? Or do you drink it like a lumpy slurry? I like Malto because it is cheap and goes into you quickly. I used to use only about 120-150 per hour and that worked for me but the mixing was a pain.

I tend to stay away from soft drinks during rides due to the acids. Maybe the sore mouth was like a canker sore.
Old 05-14-21, 06:31 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Carbonfibreboy, do you mean two 8 oz cups of Malto into a liter of water or two of those small caps ? Either way, have you found a good way to keep the clumping down when mixing? Or do you drink it like a lumpy slurry? I like Malto because it is cheap and goes into you quickly. I used to use only about 120-150 per hour and that worked for me but the mixing was a pain.

I tend to stay away from soft drinks during rides due to the acids. Maybe the sore mouth was like a canker sore.
Yes, two 8 oz. cups. Fluffed up by mixing with the whey, I think that's about 750 calories. I don't bother to weigh it every time. A bottle lasts me 3-4 hours on long rides. The longer the ride, the more calories on needs. The whey is to help prevent pulling protein from one's muscles. One does burn a certain amount of protein on the bike.

Malto quality may vary IDK. I buy mine in 50# bags from a homebrew supply house. A bag lasts me about a year. I keep the bag in a metal garbage can out in my shop, so it's in the PNW ambient. Mixes OK anyway. Mixing it with whey protein may also have a positive affect w/r to mixing. Try that if you haven't. I mix the two in an old 5 lb. whey protein container using a big metal slotted spoon. I mix until the color is even.

What I do for the 2 cups of powder is put ~2" of water in the bottom of the bottle, add the malto/protein mix, then fill the bottle the rest of the way and shake like the very devil for 100 shakes. Yeah, I'm that sort, I count them. Then I put it in the frig overnight, shake again in the morning and it's fine, no lumps. On the road I just shake it more and every time I drink, I shake it some more. Sometimes there are small lumps in the road-mixed stuff but not bad. The reason I put so many calories in a bottle is so I don't have to mix more very often. I usually at least add some powder at every control, if not make a whole fresh bottle. I put 1 cup of powder per ziplock bag. That takes a little time which is a PITA, but if I'm efficient I can leave with the group again.
Old 05-17-21, 08:09 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Sometimes the day after a long ride my mouth hurts the first time I eat, in the back of my mouth, under my tongue on the sides. It goes away by the end of the meal. I always assumed it was from mouth-breathing.
Old 05-18-21, 11:15 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Sometimes after a ride I get excruciating pain in my mouth when I try to eat. I'm pretty sure this is the same thing as @kingston describes --he and I have discussed this before.

It generally happens after a ride that didn't go so well, as compared to a ride that went well. By 'didn't go so well' I mean I was getting weak toward the end, probably didn't eat/drink right during the ride. Even so, I can usually keep eating something throughout the ride. I'll be feeling okay at the end of the ride, snack on something on the way home, finally settle down to dinner, and the first bite of food sends pain shooting through my mouth. I believe it's the salivary glands that have for some reason shut down and getting them to restart is, well, painful. It may take a few bites of food before this goes away, but usually I'm able to finish my meal, though it leaves the whole inside of my mouth very tender (and makes me a bit wary of food). A couple times it has also happened the next morning, after a ride.

Recently this has happened to me a few times when i haven't been riding. That is perhaps even scarier, because if I've just been riding I know I can blame the riding.
Old 05-21-21, 12:02 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Interestingly enough, I think "use Gatorade" might be closer to the right answer for me.
For me, on longer distance rides, such as a 200-300k brevet, I try to drink as much Gatorade/Powerade I can at the control stops, along with bottled water so that my two water bottles on my bike only start getting used towards the end of the ride. Their more like reserve tanks, and control stops are where I hydrate/fuel up. This seems to work well for me.

As far as your mouth soreness, I never get it, so I have no good advice. However at the end of some rides, I feel like I have some exercise induced asthma, where I have to take shallow breaths for a hour or so after a ride. Deep breaths results in coughs.
Old 05-21-21, 12:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Interestingly enough, I think "use Gatorade" might be closer to the right answer for me. I think, looking back, that I must have been a little short on electrolytes; one of the controls was a wonderful little cafe with great herbal tea, and I bought two large iced teas, drank a bunch and and filled up my bottles with the rest, instead of using powdered sports drink (Skratch, which I did have with me). So I had no sugar or electrolytes in there, and when I stopped at another control I bought a can of soda, but I drank that all right there and continued with the tea in my bottles for the rest of the ride. I wasn't dehydrated after (based on pee and not having any other symptoms). But I was also not sipping at my bottles -- I was drinking in occasional drain-half-a-bottle chunks I think in part because it wasn't sweet/salty; gatorade or skratch I will sip at.

For some of the other suggestions: pollen was definitely prevalent in the (cold, dry, blowing a headwind in my face for the first half) air. I don't have exercise-induced asthma but I am a bit of a mouth-breather when exercising in general.

But I think the lesson of this (and my PBP DNF) is that I can eat whatever looks good at fun stores along the way but I need to fill my bottles with something with at least a little sugar, standard "exercise" electrolyte levels, and no caffeine (caffeine mismanagement was PBP, not this ride). And if that means carrying powder and using it, it means carrying powder and using it.

I've only had this happen occasionally over many years of randonneuring -- like once a year or so.
A number of posters here have suggested this is a sugar issue. I haven't ever seen it and I have been riding a long time; raced, lots of long rides, ridiculous total mileage. But all of that time (well since I was in my early 20s long ago) I've been using the same sport drink that does not contain - sucrose, maltodextrin, high fructose corn syrup, etc, just small amounts of glucose and fructose. I am convinced that the inventor of it nailed it. He was a biochemist and marathon runner; a good one, fully capable of qualifying for the 1968 Olympics but on his trials run, it was very hot. He drank GatorAid, got sick and didn't finish. Thought "there has to be a better drink". So he used his biochemical knowledge to brew up a formulation that would absorb fast, stay down and not lead to other issues. My long experience with it suggest he pegged it. Its also the drink I can down the fastest and in large amounts. On hot days I can put down half a waterbottle in one swig. I cannot do that even with pure water. (A real blessing on the fix gear where in hills I cannot drink going either up or down!)

The drink: now called Vitalyte. It started with the names E.R.G. and Gookinaid (his name) and was Hydrolyte for a while but the formulation has never changed. It disappeared from the sports store shelves when the highly market sports drinks came out in the '90s but they kept on making it because they had a market that wouldn't go away - 3rd world relief teams. The drink is a life save for whose with dysentery, cholera and the like, especially in places where plasma and hospitals are not available.

You might be able to get it at REI and they can probably order it for you. (REI goes up and down on carrying it. I think their bottom line people want to get rid of it but some of the employees petition to keep it simply so they have access. (They know!) You can also Google Vitalyte and order from the source. Straight forward and fast. I buy the bulk packages a couple of times/year unless the local REI has it.