Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Bike Brand / Model Impressed you the Most

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-21, 01:50 PM
helmet4000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

I've owned a few bikes and trying to figure out my impressions.

Tarmac seems to be my favorite. 2010 Specialized Pro and 2011 and 2014 SL3 and SL4. Those are amazing and well engineered bikes. Inspire you to ride them. The new SL6 and 7 -- not sure I would like, but I LOVE the 2009 - SL5 Tarmacs. What a bike!

Speed -- Cervelo Soloist (an inexpensive aluminum one) allowed me to smash a bunch of records on the flats. Which of course causes me to obsess over a carbon one.

Giant Defy 1 (aluxx) -- first serious road bike. Did a lot on it. But does not inspire the ride, feels clinical at times.

Giant TCR -- holy stiffness. Rocket when you hit the gas. As I enter 40s...feels a bit too stiff. There is definitely something special about the TCR though.

Fuji Transonic -- aero bike, rocket with good wheels, performance bike deals. Climbed well enough, but it was not a Cervelo S series. Amazing deal, have not tried the new generation.

2010 Kestrel Talon -- holy **** was that unexpectedly fast. SRAM red, light enough 16.9lbs, not engineered in tunnel I don't think, but aero as hell. But lacking stiffness. The 2018 and later Talons -- they felt a bit like a generic frameset following trend to look aero, still not stiff

2017 Trek Emonda ALR 5 -- yes yes yes, very fast, aluminum, put aero wheels on and it was fast

2017 -- Bikes Direct I think it was called Immortal, just had nice 105, something about it -- it was fast. They picked a very nice frame and I later read Bicycle magazine named a BD bike their pick for "cheap carbon bike." It was a newer one not one of those older ones seen floating around

2009 -- Kestrel evoke, it had a 53/39t crankset, SRAM and was very fast

2013 -- Giant Defy 1 carbon --- meh

1985 -- Peugeot Ventoux PH-501 -- holy **** this is why people love road bikes! (found on craigslist in 2012, first road bike, original group worked well)

2001 -- MASS (massetani), Yellow, it was so Italian it said "fabricata en Italia" on the seat tube, Columbus tubing, Campy Mirage group, Miche Pedals, purchaed for $125 Craigslist, it was FAAAAST, the downtube was like an oval, basically designed for 20mm tires...loved it, was probably 1 or 2 sizes too big but didn't know any better...i think person won it in a raffale in Italy or a service member brought it home, family was making bikes since 1932, but now just operate a shop...south of Turin

What bikes have impressed you THE MOST?
Old 10-01-21, 02:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,407 Times in 2,746 Posts
Sounds good, glad you are happy
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-01-21, 05:08 PM
bigredgrad01

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Ritchey Road Logic rim brake. The balance of compliance and handling is just right, IMO. Felt a bit soft and lazy initially coming off a stiffer alloy bike, but once my brain got adjusted to how much input is needed for a given response, it just feels stable and competent yet fast. Also, it's a modern but no gimmick steel bike. External everything, threaded BB, rim brakes, yet large tire clearance. Keep it simple. No marketing driven anything, except maybe full carbon fork, but so fas so good even with the carbon dropouts.
Likes For bigredgrad01:
Old 10-01-21, 06:11 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2631 Post(s)
Liked 3,144 Times in 1,654 Posts
^
I almost purchased one of those for my daily driver training bike. Instead I bought a gently used 2013 TCR Advanced ISP frameset which is the finest bike I've ever owned. Still on it. I also have a Venge and it's spec'd to be quite fast with the aero bar, wheels, seatpost and frame etc, but its harsh and rides like crap in comparison. But hey the price was right (team deal, bought end of season at cost)
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-01-21, 07:50 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
I’m just not very in tune with the machine. I’ve only owned a few bikes.

I kind of liked them all really.

The carbon certainly feels better than the aluminum one, but not by that big of a margin.

Would be cool to have some detailed impressions and thoughts about each bike where I could compare and contrast.

Wish I was more into it.
Likes For ChamoisDavisJr:
Old 10-01-21, 07:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Fairlight Strael 3.0
Ritchey Road Logic
Breadwinner B-Road

If I hadn't taken a frame class a few years ago and built a road frame, I would for sure have the Fairlight Strael 3.0.
And if I didn't have a Fairlight Secan gravel frame, I would for sure have a Breadwinner B-Road.

Those frames have impressed me the most...right now.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 10-01-21 at 08:01 PM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-01-21, 08:44 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by helmet4000
... 2017 Trek Emonda ALR 5 -- yes yes yes, very fast, aluminum, put aero wheels on and it was fast...
I have a 2016 Emonda ALR that I feel the same way. I was looking at the Emonda SL6 or 7 at the time and once I took it for a ride, I decided the ride was so good and comfortable, I had no need to spend over 5K for the carbon versions. I put my Ultegra 6800 group on it got some 50mm Aeolus 5 wheels and FSA SL-K bars and seat post. The bike weighs in about 15.9 lbs with pedals. I ordered some new Aeolus Pro 5 TLR wheels, just waiting for the rear to come in next week and can't wait to get there on them. Although the existing wheels are still really nice, but digging the tubeless so this will give me the option to go either way.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-01-21, 09:54 PM
helmet4000

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I have a 2016 Emonda ALR that I feel the same way. I was looking at the Emonda SL6 or 7 at the time and once I took it for a ride, I decided the ride was so good and comfortable, I had no need to spend over 5K for the carbon versions. I put my Ultegra 6800 group on it got some 50mm Aeolus 5 wheels and FSA SL-K bars and seat post. The bike weighs in about 15.9 lbs with pedals. I ordered some new Aeolus Pro 5 TLR wheels, just waiting for the rear to come in next week and can't wait to get there on them. Although the existing wheels are still really nice, but digging the tubeless so this will give me the option to go either way.

Yes the Trek Emonda ALR seemed to respond well to deep wheels. It was comfortable too (compliant). Mine was Red, looked hot.
Old 10-01-21, 10:27 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Cielo with Zipp 404 wheels and Sram 1x drivetrain is my favourite.
Old 10-02-21, 06:18 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by helmet4000
Yes the Trek Emonda ALR seemed to respond well to deep wheels. It was comfortable too (compliant). Mine was Red, looked hot.
I have that same color

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-02-21, 03:54 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Ritchey Breakway. Simple, fast and fun to ride. Doesn’t have any gimmicks (other than coming apart and fitting in a case).
Old 10-02-21, 04:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
My Engin ti.
Old 10-02-21, 08:15 PM
bigredgrad01

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Ritchey Breakway. Simple, fast and fun to ride. Doesn’t have any gimmicks (other than coming apart and fitting in a case).
You are living the dream! Might get one once kids are older and traveling to bike becomes viable. If I had to go and give my younger self some bike advice when starting out it would be to splurge on a Breakaway.
Old 10-02-21, 09:37 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredgrad01
You are living the dream! Might get one once kids are older and traveling to bike becomes viable. If I had to go and give my younger self some bike advice when starting out it would be to splurge on a Breakaway.

I got it for work, I travel a lot. I have not brought with me once. My schedule got full soon after I bought it, and hauling it around for 4 days to maybe ride once doesn’t seem worth it.

Some other things to think about, mine is a 58. The case is the same size no matter what size your bike is, so after it’s packed there isn’t any room left for me to pack items that I would need.

Don’t get me wrong I am glad to have it and one day I hope I can bring it with me, but it’s not as easy as I thought it would be.

If you do travel a lot and decide to go ritchey, I recommend getting zeta wheels immediately. Removing the cassette will make it that much easier to pack, and free up space.

The other option is to get a bike with SS couplers. These can fit in a smaller case, and have more case options. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-03-21, 01:13 PM
helmet4000

That looks amazing
Old 10-03-21, 04:59 PM
Ghostknife

Bikes: 14 DiamondBack Interval Carbon, 14 Specialized Fatboy Expert, 08 Specialized Langster London, '78 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
My Diamondback Interval Carbon, more the company than the bike. The fork ended up cracking where the carbon was formed to the aluminum steerer tube. Diamondback ended up buying me a whisky fork to replace it at no charge. I have been very happy with the bike as well. No issues on my recent bike packing trip with it, unsupported for 300 miles. Also sorry for the non-standard posing position of the wheels and crank lol