Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Northeast Bikepacking Routes?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-21, 07:18 AM
getnoutside

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am an experienced road and mtb rider, but just recently my interests have turned to gravel and bikepacking. I just finished the Cross NH Adventure Trail (beautiful ride, btw) and I am familiar with the routes posted on Bikepacking.com (ex: Green Mountain Gravel Growler in VT). I am looking for advice on any other multi-day gravel-appropriate routes in the Northeast. Thanks in advance.

Steven
Old 05-20-21, 02:09 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Not sure if this is what ya had in mind but a few weeks ago I rode the Northern Rail Trail 60 miles from Boscoeen to Lebanon and another 60 back the following day.
Old 05-23-21, 11:18 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Check out Gravelmap

here are some routes I have done:

https://gravelmap.com

here are some of my multiday routes

Old 05-23-21, 01:39 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
Check out Gravelmap

here are some routes I have done:

https://gravelmap.com

here are some of my multiday routes

I'm curious as what if any of the routes shown are on roads owned and maintained by North Maine Woods ?. You need to be aware that the preponderance of roads in the area NE of Greenville to pretty much Canada, are NMW logging roads where bicycling is prohibited. Just a heads up for anybody visiting and heading out into this region.
Old 05-23-21, 01:47 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Yes it helps to have some local knowledge and also know what time of the day or night one passes through some sections and to know where the restriction signs are to be ready to plead for forgiveness in the most efficient manner 😬
Old 05-23-21, 01:49 PM
PedalingWalrus

Feel free to msg me for info on specific sections if you are REALLY going
Old 05-23-21, 02:10 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

I camp yearly in the early fall at Lily Bay State Park, I am often out exploring some of the dirt roads in the area. That loop around Moosehead looks like a great ride.
Old 05-23-21, 02:16 PM
PedalingWalrus

Yeah. If You ride it counterclockwise You will technically not encounter any forbidding signs until You exit the gate.

And taking immediate right after the Winter gate to the AMC huts will let You bypass the checkpoint there.

of course every year they lumber different spots so be prepared to read and react and be ready to turn around when all else fails. It is an adventure and this is all part of the fun

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 05-23-21 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-25-21, 10:32 AM
Steve B.

It's unfortunate that North Maine Woods doesn't allow biking, it's gravel and bikepacking heaven up west and north of Baxter SP, primitive campsites every mile or so. I fully understand that its all private property and they don't want cyclists getting run down by logging trucks, understandable as the trucks tend to haul ass.

There is some exploring to be had in the western Adirondacks, bunch or dirt roads in the Watsons East Triangle region as well as west of Paul Smiths. That's my next area to check out.
Old 05-26-21, 11:14 AM
chiefsilverback

Bikes: (N+1) - 1

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I just booked a trip for July, driving to Brattleboro VT, taking the train up to Windsor VT, and then spend three days riding back to the car, camping at state parks along the way, Ascutney, Jamaica, and Woodford. The northbound train is 5pm, so that makes for a nice easy ride to the park from the station and then up and at em bright and early the next morning for the first 44 miles/4200'.

VT state parks waive their 2 night minimum stay if you're traveling "under your own power", so hike/bike/paddle, but you have to call to book. My trip is Thur to Sun so I needed reservations, but apparently if you're able to do a mid-week trip then you should be able to rock up and get a site each day...

I had planned to do this trip last year, but then COVID hit.
Old 06-15-21, 06:18 AM
PedalingWalrus

I think this could be easily mitigated for the benefit of all. The North Maine Woods gravel roads does not get lumber activity EVERYWHERE and at the same time NOT ALL gravel roads will have logging trucks on them at a given year. They can look at their current year logging plan and identify the logging roads where their trucks will be and mark those as off limits to nonmotorized recreational use. Then publish a simple map (or better hand it over to North Woods stewards) that they can hand out at their checkpoints where people currently PAY for daily access. It is a win / win - they pocket more money from user fees and the biking enthusiasts increase tourist numbers in this economically depraved region.

Originally Posted by Steve B.
It's unfortunate that North Maine Woods doesn't allow biking, it's gravel and bikepacking heaven up west and north of Baxter SP, primitive campsites every mile or so. I fully understand that its all private property and they don't want cyclists getting run down by logging trucks, understandable as the trucks tend to haul ass.

There is some exploring to be had in the western Adirondacks, bunch or dirt roads in the Watsons East Triangle region as well as west of Paul Smiths. That's my next area to check out.
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 06-18-21, 01:31 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Just learned about the Vermont Super 8 via Ted King https://www.vermontbikepackers.org/
Old 07-18-21, 06:49 PM
chiefsilverback

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
Just learned about the Vermont Super 8 via Ted King https://www.vermontbikepackers.org/
I'm using the Super 8 and the XVT as the basis for my ride this week: https://www.komoot.com/collection/91...?ref=undefined
Old 07-20-21, 07:58 PM
k2blt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
I never knew that zone of Maine was off limits. Makes sense when I think of how dangerous driving on those roads was, but man would it be fun to pedal endlessly along those beautiful backcountry roads. Some of my fondest memories traveling between Moosehead and Baxter... Kokadjo, Maine Population: Not Many
Old 07-26-21, 04:11 AM
chiefsilverback

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chiefsilverback
I'm using the Super 8 and the XVT as the basis for my ride this week: https://www.komoot.com/collection/91...?ref=undefined
I did my ride Thursday to Sunday, parked in Brattleboro, took the train to Windsor and then camped at Ascutney, Jamaica and Woodford state parks.

According to my Wahoo total ridden distance was about 152 miles, and ~14,500’ of climbing.

Overall a nice route, some hard climbs/hike-a-bike sections up old forest roads, and a few nice country stores and other places to stop. I’d say the worst part of the whole ride was 48 miles into day 2 and there’s a 1.5 mile, 500’ climb along VT Rte 9, with cars and trucks thundering past at 50mph!

When you finally reach Woodford state park there’s no where to grab a cold drink of any kind, without adding on 6+ miles and a bit more climbing and riding down to Woodford General Store. I made do with water!
Likes For chiefsilverback:
Old 07-27-21, 06:37 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I think this could be easily mitigated for the benefit of all. The North Maine Woods gravel roads does not get lumber activity EVERYWHERE and at the same time NOT ALL gravel roads will have logging trucks on them at a given year. They can look at their current year logging plan and identify the logging roads where their trucks will be and mark those as off limits to nonmotorized recreational use. Then publish a simple map (or better hand it over to North Woods stewards) that they can hand out at their checkpoints where people currently PAY for daily access. It is a win / win - they pocket more money from user fees and the biking enthusiasts increase tourist numbers in this economically depraved region.
Or even just open them up a few weekends a year for special events -- a big special bikepacking race through them for a few days could be amazing. Even just an out-and-back double century on the Golden Road could be a huge draw. If they're off limits the rest of the year, frame it as being even more special to ride them then. Etc. But alas. (I've been in a van on some of them on my way to canoe the Allagash, and just kept thinking how glorious it would be to ride them.)
Likes For antimonysarah: