Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Grease a headset

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Grease a headset

Old 07-06-21, 02:51 PM
ko57

Bikes: Schwinn Skyliner (step thru), Hercules 3spd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Grease a headset

This is in reference to greasing a new Schwinn Admiral's headset.

Had seen the thread about the Schwinn Mixte and taking it apart and going through it to grease, and check it for what might be needed etc.

I believe the headset might need some grease, I noticed barely a little stiffness when turning the handlebars just standing aside the bike.

Want to check the bottom bracket and wheels also, but for now to check the headset and maybe add some grease.

I loosened both- the handlebar won't move, the lower threads look like there is a channel to maybe keep the headset cartridge? aligned in the tube.

Can't pull the handlebar out to try to add grease.

At worse, thinking of using a needle/syringe to add grease at least to the top bearing.
Looking from the top, there are slight spaces between the nut and the bearing cup? below it.

The yellow arrow in photo might be a stop ring.

Not a bike mechanic but I've done some repair, maintenance and adjustments on older bikes I have, they all have a single handlebar nut, not this type of set-up.

Any help on this would be appreciated, thank you!
Old 07-06-21, 03:15 PM
ko57

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just pulled the stop-ring/ spacer up out of the way 😒
Thought it was stuck, what was I thinking.
Just hope no loose ball bearings falling out once I get it loose enough.

Any tips are still welcome!
Old 07-06-21, 04:00 PM
ko57

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Didn't take it all apart, greased the top one, then this bottom bearing.
Will make sure it is seated, close it-not too tight then check it.
That is a highlight, not a scratch.
Old 07-06-21, 04:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,500 Times in 3,345 Posts
That looks like a fairly new bike.

For removing the handlebars, there should be a bolt on the top of the stem. Loosen that bolt so it sticks up say 1/4" from where it was. Then give it a few gentle taps with a hammer back down.

With some luck, everything will just fall apart at that point.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-06-21, 04:56 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Detaching a quill stem:

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...on-quill-stems

Servicing headsets, noting that you don't have to completely remove a headset to lubricate and adjust it.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 07-06-21, 06:13 PM
ko57

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks CliffordK...

Yes right there under the bolt cap, had a look when I first brought the bike in when I bought it.. One day I may wipe some grease on the stem to protect it, bike seat post too. The height & centering were fine.

Thank you too, Gresp 15C

Once I raised the metal ring, had the slightest stops for the thread channel, was able to loosen the headset enough to add grease to bearings via needle tip on small grease gun. Wiped some on the threads, tightened it up. Did not take it all apart.

Wet weather lately, looks like through next week. s/e LA near gulf coast, that's the norm last few summers 😥

Will try to keep going on the greasing post-delivery. Don't like bringing bikes out when road/lanes still damp or wet re messy weather, but now & then maybe I will.
Old 07-07-21, 01:40 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Once you have removed the handlebars and that top nut, then that spacer is there so that when you tighten the top nut it does not affect the adjustment of the headset nut beneath it. Sometimes instead of a spacer there is a front light bracket or a brake cable mount bracket instead, but they serve the same purpose.

Once the spacer is off you can unscrew the headset nut to expose the bearings. These days the ball bearings are not loose but sit in a plastic cage that keeps them all together - and I can see the cage in one of your pictures. You can lift the bearing cage out to clean it and the bearing surfaces before regreasing them. Make sure you make a note which way up the bearing goes before removing it.

You can then pull the fork down and out to gain access to the lower bearing. If you remove the bearing, make a note of which way up it should go.

Reassembly is just the reverse, making sure that you adjust the headset bearing nut so that the steering turns smoothly and you cannot feel any movement when you pull on the fork.

Spacer on, locking nut on and then handlebar back on, and you are done - except for a test ride.

If the steering feels a bit tight or loose, just loosen the lock nut a turn, and then you should be able to adjust the top headset nut - no removal of the handlebar needed.
Likes For Geepig:
Old 07-07-21, 06:05 AM
ko57

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, Geepig.

Good to know for later on. That was a first for me, which means when I get a chance will check my other bikes.
I bought it at night. Got to the parking lot, removed the manual and info papers from the store and before I took a short spin, just turning the handlebar side to side it sounded dry-not enough or no grease, or maybe too tight. Glad I checked it, good lesson.
Likes For ko57:
Old 07-07-21, 07:02 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Did you grease the lower bearing as well? The lower headset bearing is under much more stress than the upper and also is exposed to much more road grit and water should you ride on wet roads