Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Singlespeed Conversion Help!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-22, 02:31 AM
bikethis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Hi guys,

I have a BTWIN Rockrider 540 that I am converting to singlespeed. So far, I have the sprocket and spacers ordered and the chain from Amazon. I have two main questions that I hope can be answered. I am a complete beginner at bike engineering so forgive any ignorance that may come across.

Q1. I am aware that because my bike has vertical dropouts, that I'll need a chain tensioner. How can I go about figuring out if this will attach to my bike or not? I took the rear derailleur off and it appears I may need a derailleur hanger to attach a tensioner to, or am I overthinking things?

Q2. Currently, I have the standard 3 piece crank set that came with the bike still attached. I noticed that on the middle cog, there are 32 teeth. Would it be possible to get away with just wrapping the chain around this, instead of having to order a single speed chain ring?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-22, 08:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
1- a chain tensioner typically mounts to the same hole that a rear derailleur threads into. Just put your hanger back on the bike.
2- If you use the middle ring of your current crankset, you need to make sure the chain is shortened to accommodate for the smaller ring. Also, that middle ring is usually ramped to aid in easy shifting. This means it is not designed to hold onto the chain, and with single speed you want to hold onto the chain.

Personally? I would question if single speed with a chain tensioner is worth the time and result. You lose out on the direct feel of single speed when you have a chain tensioner. And I would buy a narrow-wide chainring to hold the chain better then remove the other rings up front.

If you are going to just have a tensioner and keep your current triple crankset, why do the conversion at all? Just ride the bike as is in whatever single gear you want and call it good. Just dont shift and you will have the same setup you are spending time and money on achieving.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-06-22, 10:17 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
This is obviously a mechanical thread and should be posted in 'bicycle mechanics' not GD.
Old 07-06-22, 10:43 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by bikethis
Q1. I am aware that because my bike has vertical dropouts, that I'll need a chain tensioner. How can I go about figuring out if this will attach to my bike or not?
Attach the tensioner where the derailleur used to be. I like the Surly Singulator.

Q2. Currently, I have the standard 3 piece crank set that came with the bike still attached. I noticed that on the middle cog, there are 32 teeth. Would it be possible to get away with just wrapping the chain around this, instead of having to order a single speed chain ring?
Yes, but as mentioned, a narrow-wide chainring will better keep the chain from coming off. Alternately, you can keep the front derailleur on as a chain keeper, or buy a chain retainer:

Old 07-06-22, 10:46 AM
buddiiee 

Bikes: 70's Nuovo Record Jeunet Franche Compte, '88 105 Trek 1200, '85 Victory Bianchi Vittoria, '89 Exage Bianchi Strada LX, '11 Shimano Masi Partenza

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by minellix
really enjoying consuming all of the content out there.
leave this board scammer

Old 07-06-22, 12:12 PM
bikethis

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
1- a chain tensioner typically mounts to the same hole that a rear derailleur threads into. Just put your hanger back on the bike.
2- If you use the middle ring of your current crankset, you need to make sure the chain is shortened to accommodate for the smaller ring. Also, that middle ring is usually ramped to aid in easy shifting. This means it is not designed to hold onto the chain, and with single speed you want to hold onto the chain.

Personally? I would question if single speed with a chain tensioner is worth the time and result. You lose out on the direct feel of single speed when you have a chain tensioner. And I would buy a narrow-wide chainring to hold the chain better then remove the other rings up front.

If you are going to just have a tensioner and keep your current triple crankset, why do the conversion at all? Just ride the bike as is in whatever single gear you want and call it good. Just dont shift and you will have the same setup you are spending time and money on achieving.
Thanks for the info. I think moving forward I actually will just buy a narrow wide chainring and attach it to my current crank. I've been doing some more digging I think I may actually be able to use my current rear derailuer to act as my tensioner. I definitely want to go with the single speed because it means I can remove some excess weight from the bike. My cassette, front derailuer and gear shifters. I also think it looks a lot "cleaner" having the single speed setup as opposed to just hard using the same gear as it currently is
Old 07-06-22, 01:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
This is obviously a mechanical thread and should be posted in 'bicycle mechanics' not GD.
Anything about gravel bikes should be in the gravel cx forum, anything about bikes from 30+ years ago should be in the involved forum, anything about road bikes should be in the road forum, anything about hybrids should be in the hybrid forum, etc etc etc.
Its easier to not swim upstream.
Old 07-06-22, 02:16 PM
bikethis

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Anything about gravel bikes should be in the gravel cx forum, anything about bikes from 30+ years ago should be in the involved forum, anything about road bikes should be in the road forum, anything about hybrids should be in the hybrid forum, etc etc etc.
Its easier to not swim upstream.
Alright man my bad I'm new to the forum and thought it fit to post in general. Thanks for all the info guys I'm going with a 48T chainring and 18T cog.
Old 07-06-22, 03:59 PM
bikethis

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Toby_Queef
That should be nice and easy on my knees
Is that supposed to be a bad thing? Or is that sarcasm

Last edited by bikethis; 07-06-22 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-06-22, 08:23 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Is that supposed to be a bad thing? Or is that sarcasm
48/18 is more typical for single speed on a 700C road bike. About 72 gear inches. It’s at the upper end of what I would use in our moderately hilly terrain.

Something more like a 2:1 ratio or less and about 50 gear inches or so would be more typical for a SS MTB, assuming it’s to be ridden on single track. The recommendation for 34/18 on 27.5 wheels is right about there at just over 50 gear inches.

Otto
Old 07-07-22, 01:36 AM
bikethis

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Toby_Queef
That’s a huge gear for a single speed

Should probably contemplate more like a 34 x 18

But depends on how big your wheels are

And I would ditch the rear derailer and go with the tensioner also. Especially if you’re talking about saving a couple of grams

Or else why not just convert it to a one-by drive train
Hey many thanks for this. I'm definitely going to buy a dedicated tensioner and downsize on my chainring to a 34T.
Old 07-10-22, 05:34 AM
bikethis

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Updating this thread incase anyone stumbles accros it from Google. A 34 tooth chainring with an 18 tooth rear cog is WAY too easy to pedal. I'm not sure why people are recommending this ratio, maybe I just ride differently? The terrain where I live is flat and then some uphill but there's barely any resistance whilst pedaling. If you're like me and like to really work yourself with not sitting down and constantly powering through uphil gradients, then definitely go for a higher toothed chainring. I'm ordering a 40 tooth and will update further with the results.
Old 07-10-22, 06:32 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Updating this thread incase anyone stumbles accros it from Google. A 34 tooth chainring with an 18 tooth rear cog is WAY too easy to pedal. I'm not sure why people are recommending this ratio, maybe I just ride differently? The terrain where I live is flat and then some uphill but there's barely any resistance whilst pedaling. If you're like me and like to really work yourself with not sitting down and constantly powering through uphil gradients, then definitely go for a higher toothed chainring. I'm ordering a 40 tooth and will update further with the results.
I would recommend starting out with a gear ratio of around 63 - 65 gear inches...To achieve this ratio you will need a 42 or 44 chainring up front and a 18 tooth rear cog....34 x18 ratio which you have right now is good for singletrack and off road use and is way too low for pavement use.

Last edited by wolfchild; 07-10-22 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-10-22, 06:33 AM
bikethis

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I would recommend starting out with a gear ratio of around 63 - 65 gear inches...To achieve this ratio you will need a 42 or 44 chainring up front and a 18 tooth rear cog....34 x18 ratio which you have right now is good for singletrack and off road use and not for pavement.
Thanks, the problem is my chainring is very close to hitting my frame, so I'm afraid if I go any bigger than the 40T, then my chainring will start griding against my frame!
Old 07-12-22, 05:39 AM
bikethis

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Update: I am now using a 42T chainring and 18T rear cog and the pedalling is much better. It's actually still a little bit too easy, so I'm downsizing the rear cog to 14T.

So in the end, I went with 14 teeth on the rear cog and 42 teeth on the front chainring.

Thanks all for the guidance.
Old 07-14-22, 11:12 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The time to determine the gears you wanted should have been before you removed the multi-gear system.