Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Origami Swift - Thoughts, Ideas For a New Version of a Classic

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Origami Swift - Thoughts, Ideas For a New Version of a Classic

Old 09-16-22, 08:44 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
A couple more photos.

Likes For Pinigis:
Old 09-16-22, 08:49 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
A couple more photos.

You know I gotta ask,...weight limit? (I want the Bull, but this is still 🔥🔥🔥🔥&#128293
Old 09-17-22, 03:11 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
Personally I don't like the painted wheels. It makes it look like a cheap department store bike. But I don't see trading my current Xootr for this one (unless the new one is bigger), so that's just a peanut gallery comment.
Likes For seat_boy:
Old 09-17-22, 03:24 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Nice bike for sure. As others mentioned...bottle mount on top tube and stem, allow for at least 2.0 inch tires, no matching rim color, rack is fine..some will remove it, 406 tires are most common and most easily acquired?, quick release on stem is black yet silver on seat post..all should be black? It makes me want to sell the zootr and get this one.

I would probably change the chain ring to 40T for below 20 gear inches.

Last edited by BikeLite; 09-17-22 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-17-22, 06:56 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by tds101
You know I gotta ask,...weight limit? (I want the Bull, but this is still 🔥🔥🔥🔥&#128293
weight limit 300 pounds
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 09-17-22, 07:08 AM
Tall_Xootr

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
A 300 lb Weight limit is great.

Could you please give the specs for rider height?
Old 09-17-22, 08:17 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Black or silver wheels please. Painted wheels look like « this is my son’s bike »

A few question:

1. what brakes? Disk, v brakes, both?
2. Available as a frame only so we can decide on components or reuse ones we have?

Last edited by jfouellette; 09-17-22 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-17-22, 09:28 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
A couple more photos.

Thanks for posting these extra photos, Paul. The bike looks great! And much much prettier without the rack

Like seatboy I'm not over the moon with the green wheels on the green frame. It reminds me of the plastic "Green Machine" big wheel toy I had when I was five, or at least evokes a department store kid's bike that drank a little too much of the Incredible Hulk's radioactive juice. Although green wouldn't necessarily be my personal first choice for an initial production colour, I think black rims would look perfectly good with it. Surely you have some black wheels in the shop you can slap on the bike to see? We discussed anodyzed finishes a few weeks back. If you want a bit of colour to to compliment that green maybe metallic gold, red or even orange might look good? But again, with this green black wheels will look as good as just about anything else.

Regarding the rack I think it's cool you're designing one specifically for the bike. Schwinsta suggested it could act as a stand when the bike is folded which I think is an interesting idea. However, I hope that the Swift isn't ultimately presented as a pack mule. Personally I've always thought Xootr missed the mark by not emphasizing the potential performance of the bike. Yes, the Swift is wonderfully versatile, but at the end of the day it's a speedy fun bike to rip around on. A folding bike that's also capable of comfortably covering long distances at good speed. In my opinion it's a pretty looking machine which derives its good looks from its graceful simplicity. It's said that if you have a high performance bike which might get targeted by thieves, one of the surest ways to ugly it up and make it less appealing to them is to add a rack. While I appreciate the option of having a rack in case I ever need to carry camping gear or add panniers to carry documents (or dissuade thieves) when I go to work, etc, to me the Swift's default is that it's the folding bike equivalent to a sports car. To my eye the rack detracts from tthe bike's core aptitudes like a trailer with a large motorboat hitched to a Porsche 911 laden down with a heavy roof rack would detract from that car's core purpose. Possible, yes. It might even work well if the situation required it But aesthetically it's not great and it de-emphasizes speed and fun for utility. Origami already has plenty of great options for commuting and carrying stuff in its stable of bikes. Maybe the Swift is the sports car bike model? I say, keep it generally naked in the promo pictures anyway.

Ok. Having said all this I essentially love what I'm seeing and the bike looks lovely and I'm excited for the day I can ride it!

Last edited by joey buzzard; 09-17-22 at 10:15 AM.
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 09-17-22, 10:17 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Thanks for posting these extra photos, Paul. The bike looks great! And much much prettier without the rack

Like seatboy I'm not over the moon with the green wheels on the green frame. It reminds me of the plastic "Green Machine" big wheel toy I had when I was five, or at least evokes a department store kid's bike that drank a little too much of the Incredible Hulk's radioactive juice. Although green wouldn't necessarily be my personal first choice for an initial production colour, I think black rims would look perfectly good with it. Surely you have some black wheels in the shop you can slap on the bike to see? We discussed anodyzed finishes a few weeks back. If you want a bit of colour to to compliment that green maybe metallic gold, red or even orange might look good? But again, with this green black wheels will look as good as just about anything else.

Regarding the rack I think it's cool you're designing one specifically for the bike. Schwinsta suggested it could act as a stand when the bike is folded which I think is an interesting idea. However, I hope that the Swift isn't ultimately presented as a pack mule. Personally I've always thought Xootr missed the mark by not emphasizing the potential performance of the bike. Yes, the Swift is wonderfully versatile, but at the end of the day it's a speedy fun bike to rip around on. A folding bike that's also capable of comfortably covering long distances at good speed. In my opinion it's a pretty looking machine which derives its good looks from its graceful simplicity. It's said that if you have a high performance bike which might get targeted by thieves, one of the surest ways to ugly it up and make it less appealing to them is to add a rack. While I appreciate the option of having a rack in case I ever need to carry camping gear or add panniers to carry documents (or dissuade thieves) when I go to work, etc, to me the Swift's default is that it's the folding bike equivalent to a sports car. To my eye the rack detracts from tthe bike's core aptitudes like a trailer with a large motorboat hitched to a Porsche 911 laden down with a heavy roof rack would detract from that car's core purpose. Possible, yes. It might even work well if the situation required it But aesthetically it's not great and it de-emphasizes speed and fun for utility. Origami already has plenty of great options for commuting and carrying stuff in its stable of bikes. Maybe the Swift is the sports car bike model? I say keep it generally naked in the promo pictures anyway.
!
Just to set my view and desires, I am not pro rack, unless it is optional. I do not have or need a rack on my Xootr Swift. That said, racks that work on Swift are not that easy to find if you include the ability to fold the bike with the rack attached. On many, perhaps most racks interfere with the seatpost sliding through in the locked folded position. So having the rack as an option is a good idea and if the bike will stand on it, so much the better. I am sure many will want to put panniers on the bike, at least at times.
Old 09-17-22, 11:17 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
« It's said that if you have a high performance bike which might get targeted by thieves, one of the surest ways to ugly it up and make it less appealing to them is to add a rack. »

It didn’t for me. They stole my bicycle even with a rack. As for focusing on a speed machine for this bike, I think it s important to have the necessary braze ons and eyelets to offer the ability to add mudgards and rear rack if the user want s them. Folders are designed for practicality. There are already so many performance bikes available.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 09-17-22, 02:31 PM
stargazer48

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I owned the Original steel framed Swift folder and loved riding it while I had it. I was wondering anyone owned both the Swift and Xoofr and did they have a similar ride?
Old 09-17-22, 03:12 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by stargazer48
I owned the Original steel framed Swift folder and loved riding it while I had it. I was wondering anyone owned both the Swift and Xoofr and did they have a similar ride?
I was reported to the forum, I think reliably, that Peter Reich, the bike's designer, that he could not tell the difference in the ride. It was in the long Swift thread.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 09-17-22, 03:22 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
I owned the Xootr Swift, and I loved it. I sold it, and I'm regretting it till this day. The ride was exactly like my full size bikes. I so miss it. 😭
Old 09-17-22, 04:27 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Yes! Looking good

Vanity stuff:
I'm against the super-serif Swift decal too. I don't like it in two places, which seems a little Ali-Express. I like your font for Origami, it reminds me of 1990s Cannondale. But it's really heavy here. Maybe 7/8 this thickness and overlay Swift right and lower than Origami in the same font with a negative-space border... or maybe kanji... or maybe something entirely else, just not this flouncy little thing that looks like it came from MS Word twenty years ago.

I'm sure that's not correct...

I like the color. The color matched rims though make it resemble a Walmart kid bike, especially since they don't quite match. It kind of says "I am a painted steel rim". Go for black.

The gloss finish on the steer tube doesn't match the satin on the other black parts. Seat clamps stand out being silver.
Functional stuff:
Did not realize it had welded seat clamps. On aluminum?

Rear brake hose routing looks like it's a risk of pinching in the folded NDS photo.

I like the budget targeting of the build. Functional not fancy. Not sure about SB8's, really depends on your market

Definitely do sizes. It's only the boom length for this thing, not six or nine tubes to cut like a diamond frame
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-17-22, 04:37 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Just goofing around

Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-17-22, 10:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Yes, there will be a line drawing of an origami paper figure of a swift on the production model. I just didn't have it ready in time for the decals to be produced. I will be adding these to our other models as we go.
Something I learned recently because a kid of mine went through an origami folding phase. People who do it seriously as a hobby are careful about attribution of designs that aren't ancient or standard. A crane is something no one will blink at, not so sure about a swift. Since it's a 2D illustration you can take some liberties, make it sort of stained glass or stealth fighter looking and it doesn't have to be something that could really be folded.
Old 09-18-22, 02:06 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
« It's said that if you have a high performance bike which might get targeted by thieves, one of the surest ways to ugly it up and make it less appealing to them is to add a rack. »

It didn’t for me. They stole my bicycle even with a rack. As for focusing on a speed machine for this bike, I think it s important to have the necessary braze ons and eyelets to offer the ability to add mudgards and rear rack if the user want s them. Folders are designed for practicality. There are already so many performance bikes available.

My point wasn't that a rack is a foolproof theft prevention device, rather that adding one makes an attractive fast bike look less appealing generally.

I'm not against having a rack, I just don't think that it suits the Swift to have it on there as a default. As somebody else recently pointed out this frame has braze ons and mounts all over it (which I think is great, btw). There's plenty of practicality and versitility already built into this bike. It really comes down to what to emphasize. The rack just isn't aesthetically pleasing and it's certainly not for everyone who will want this bike.

This Swift is a fast riding folder. Many of the people who love the bike are won over by its ride quality and performance. Its good looks don't hurt either. If performance wasn't important to me I'd probably settle for something more along the lines of a Dahon Boardwalk. Practical though a Swift might be, it's practicality isn't what makes the bike unusually good. Its ride quality and performance on the other hand are stand out characteristics and in my opinion these should be emphasised when selling it. Other folders that offer high performance such as Tyrell, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Moulton, Pacific Reach etc all cost a lot more money. The Swift is a very simple and yet effective design. In a screwed up world where quality road bikes cost thousands and people are being squeezed into ever smaller apartments by increasing rent and property prices, how refreshing to have a little bike that can occupy so little space in a room, ride on a train or a metro or in the back of a car and then in seconds unfold into something very pleasurable and sporty to ride. And it doesn't even break the bank. A small bit of affordable bliss!

I think that's a great niche to fill, actually.
​​​​

​​​​
​​​​
​​​​

Last edited by joey buzzard; 09-18-22 at 08:15 AM.
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 09-18-22, 02:32 AM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 353 Posts
His point was the one I made earlier; that rack makes the thing look hideous.
Old 09-18-22, 04:48 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
From the welds, it looks like it's a steel frame, not aluminum.

And yes, really hoping for sizes. At least two or three.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I'm sure that's not correct...
Functional stuff:
Did not realize it had welded seat clamps. On aluminum?

Rear brake hose routing looks like it's a risk of pinching in the folded NDS photo.

I like the budget targeting of the build. Functional not fancy. Not sure about SB8's, really depends on your market

Definitely do sizes. It's only the boom length for this thing, not six or nine tubes to cut like a diamond frame
Old 09-18-22, 11:34 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

hrmmm hope that means chromoly

Can someone tell me if my understanding is correct about what is going on at the upper headset, or explain to me if I've got it wrong? As I understood it from reading in the old Swift thread, the steerer is tapered 1-1/8 to 1, the upper headset is threaded, and the steerer protrudes enough that the extension can clamp on with a 28.6 QR seat clamp. Is that right?
Old 09-18-22, 12:20 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Thanks.
Three questions:
  • What is the weight of the frame and fork?
  • What is the weight of the complete bike (sans rack)?
  • What is the bike's wheelbase?
I will have to weigh a frame alone, we didn't do that yet.
The bike as shown, without the rack, is about 28 pounds.
The wheelbase is 39.75"
Old 09-18-22, 12:23 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Just to set my view and desires, I am not pro rack, unless it is optional. I do not have or need a rack on my Xootr Swift. That said, racks that work on Swift are not that easy to find if you include the ability to fold the bike with the rack attached. On many, perhaps most racks interfere with the seatpost sliding through in the locked folded position. So having the rack as an option is a good idea and if the bike will stand on it, so much the better. I am sure many will want to put panniers on the bike, at least at times.
The rack sits up high so that it doesn't interfere with the seat post when folding. We are redesigning the rack (thanks to feedback from the forum) to improve the aesthetics and to see if we can use it as a stand in the folded position.
Old 09-18-22, 12:25 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by tds101
I owned the Xootr Swift, and I loved it. I sold it, and I'm regretting it till this day. The ride was exactly like my full size bikes. I so miss it. 😭
Time to remedy that error.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 09-18-22, 12:27 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
His point was the one I made earlier; that rack makes the thing look hideous.
I really appreciate the feedback, and it doesn't hurt my feelings. We are working on redesigning the rack to be more attractive and more functional.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 09-18-22, 12:29 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by seat_boy
From the welds, it looks like it's a steel frame, not aluminum.

And yes, really hoping for sizes. At least two or three.
It is chromoly. We aren't looking at different sizes yet, but that is a good idea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.