Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Here I go again! Darn you CL!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Here I go again! Darn you CL!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-22, 01:28 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Yea, no headbadge holes and all I can see of the original paint is a smal flake of blue like the one in repechage posted. The fork crown and lugs look the same .
The rear wheel went ok and , yes, getting rotted fused rubber off was challenging. More so on the rear than the front. I found why the rear tire was flat though. Two spoke ends needed trimming as they protruded into the path of the tube. A little work with my dremmel tool took care of that. The FW was really tight, I’m glad I have a good bench / vise set up for that. The bench also has a heavy drill press mounted on it . I still managed to move the bench before said FW decided to give way, I was a bit concerned for a few seconds. The oxide coating(anti-rust) on the threads of the FW was like new so the threads on the DS of the wheel were great. Fresh grease everywhere, yay!

No dropped chain witness!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-09-22, 01:40 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Those Hubs and the early Shimano High Flange Dura-Ace hubs were excellent alternatives to Campagnolo.

they were both anodized vs raw aluminum so a bit easier to upkeep. The Suntour examples are very very close to the appearance of Campagnolo... and both came with chromed locknuts
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-09-22, 02:18 PM
Kabuki12

Yes, scary close to Campy! I noticed the anodize when I tried to polish them. I can get my Campy ones like a mirror but these resemble a Cinelli stem or most brake calipers. I can’t wait to try them out. They are going on my Mondia to replace the 27” Wienmans that are on it now. The PO was into dirt riding or something, it had 27 x 1 1/8” knobby tires on it when I acquired the bike. I put 27 x 1 1/4 and they barely clear. These will look much better and the bike will probably handle better. I believe in 1972 it would have come with tubulars.

Too big! But it really is comfy …
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-09-22, 07:08 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 463 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I did the "Darn you CL!" thing recently, though it was eBay this time with an unlabeled black frame being offered by a bike co-op in the Midwest. 12:15 AM on a week (aka work) night, surfing for 63-68cm frames across the country (for fun) and here is this tall no-name frameset with a catch-all title. Lugs looked very familiar, then I saw the seat stay caps. Yeah, PDG lugs and telltale Waterford seat stay caps--12 hours to go and no bids--had me slipping in a bid quietly with a still-low max bid. Snagged it, got it in a couple days ago and it's already been cleaned, waxed, touched up, and is now half built up. I can't believe I got it, and I can't wait to ride it.
By any chance was it black and from St Louis Bicycle Works? If so, I saw that and posted about it on one of the C&V forum threads (it was way too big for me). Weight of the frame for its size caught my eye.

If so, glad to see someone got it who can appreciate it. Based on the weight and size, I thought it just might be way better than run-of-the-mill.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 10-09-22, 10:13 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
By any chance was it black and from St Louis Bicycle Works? If so, I saw that and posted about it on one of the C&V forum threads (it was way too big for me). Weight of the frame for its size caught my eye.

If so, glad to see someone got it who can appreciate it. Based on the weight and size, I thought it just might be way better than run-of-the-mill.
You are 100% correct! I figured there had to have been a number of people who saw that and knew what that was in an instant. I didn't check the relevant threads around that time or before, so I didn't know who had eyes on it already. The low weight caught my eye, too. It's 2900g essentially on the nose. Stronglight headset that weighs just 74g. A 2900g lugged 66cm frameset is stupendously light. The only 66cm frameset lighter than that was my fully Tange Prestige tubed Land Shark Road Shark which had a 3cm shorter top tube, shorter chain stays, and a shorter axle-to-crown distance (it could only fit 23mm tires at absolute maximum). That makes me think that blow-for-blow, this OS Paramount is the lighter frameset per overall tubing measurement. The Land Shark was amazingly supple over crummy roads, almost carbon-like. Out of the saddle, it wasn't a killer, but there's no free lunch. I think this Paramount is much more the aggressor, just essentially as light. It's half built, and I intended to get a lot more done, but I spent time with a brother in town for much of the day, which was very much worth it. The Paramount will get done soon enough--I can't wait!
Old 10-09-22, 10:21 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
^^^ Nice! You should post a thread about that, I would love to see pics of the bike. I’m happy to know that I’m not the only one snagging deals, they ARE out there.
Thanks! I have been thinking about what to title it and such. I'm really glad I got it and looking forward to riding it. I've crabbed plenty lately about crummy Seattle roads and how a good frame and good tires have made that a tolerable if even pleasurable experience, but here I am liking an old '89 Cannondale SR. The Paramount will likely be complete before I make the thread, but for documentation purposes (like, it runs a 27.2mm seatpost just fine), I'll post about it. A younger guy (than me) that works at a local bike shop, pretty much as tall as me, used to have an OS Paramount that he regrets selling, even as he was offered a princely sum for it that he couldn't refuse. He raced on a carbon bike, but found he was a couple mph faster on this when checking Strava post-ride. Said there was a magic about it. That gives me even more motivation to finish it.
Old 10-10-22, 04:21 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 463 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
You are 100% correct! I figured there had to have been a number of people who saw that and knew what that was in an instant. I didn't check the relevant threads around that time or before, so I didn't know who had eyes on it already. The low weight caught my eye, too. It's 2900g essentially on the nose. Stronglight headset that weighs just 74g. A 2900g lugged 66cm frameset is stupendously light. The only 66cm frameset lighter than that was my fully Tange Prestige tubed Land Shark Road Shark which had a 3cm shorter top tube, shorter chain stays, and a shorter axle-to-crown distance (it could only fit 23mm tires at absolute maximum). That makes me think that blow-for-blow, this OS Paramount is the lighter frameset per overall tubing measurement. The Land Shark was amazingly supple over crummy roads, almost carbon-like. Out of the saddle, it wasn't a killer, but there's no free lunch. I think this Paramount is much more the aggressor, just essentially as light. It's half built, and I intended to get a lot more done, but I spent time with a brother in town for much of the day, which was very much worth it. The Paramount will get done soon enough--I can't wait!
As I recall, there were one or two folks who speculated that it might be a Paramount. I didn't (and don't) know enough about Paramounts to ID their frames by lugs, etc. I just thought it had to be damn nice at that weight.

Glad to see it's in the hands of someone who can appreciate it for what it is. Enjoy.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 10-10-22, 07:09 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
The OP's bike's seat stay caps don't look like a Raleigh to me, but maybe it's the angle. The lugs look like Bocama 30-somethings, as seen here. What's the seat post diameter?
Old 10-10-22, 09:05 AM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
The OP's bike's seat stay caps don't look like a Raleigh to me, but maybe it's the angle. The lugs look like Bocama 30-somethings, as seen here. What's the seat post diameter?
I will check it when I get home. The Seatpost is a steel , looks like chrome. plated with the reduced clamp area type. I'm really not sure myself as who ever did the crummy red paint job must have filled the head badge holes , but why? I spent most of the day yesterday getting the wheels ready for the Mondia. The frame is hanging in the garage waiting for me to harvest some of the parts that I can use. It has a neat set of English handle bars and I would like to keep the stem, maybe cranks.
Old 10-10-22, 07:35 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,809 Times in 820 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Sincere apologies if I got any drool on that hub.

Looks great.