Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Tubeless: The "What is your sealant of choice?" thread!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-22, 06:57 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts

Alrighty tubeless people, it seems Big Tubeless finally got to me and I recently switched one wheelset over to tubeless. A few questions for the long time tubeless aficionados out there:

- What sealant brand(s) do you use?
- What sealant brand(s) have you found no so good for higher pressure road use?
- How much sealant are you putting into your road tyres?
- How often are you having to replace sealant?
- Have you successfully used a "tyre plug and CO2" to fix a bigger hole?

I've gone with Stan's sealant simply because that was what the bike shop had in stock at the time. Hopefully it does the job!
Old 10-13-22, 07:08 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Been using the pink one, Muc off? Works well. Before that, orange seal has been my main for a while, again, no issues. I have also used stans in the past, but it was the most notorious for "stans monsters".
Likes For garciawork:
Old 10-13-22, 07:18 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Orange seal endurance. Use a dipstick to check for adequate sealant.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 10-13-22, 07:36 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I used the Bontrager stuff, but it clumped up too much, so I moved to Orange Seal Endurance and like that much better.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-14-22, 12:48 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
In the last couple of years I have been using WTB sealant. Prior to that, I mostly rode tubeless without sealant
Old 10-14-22, 06:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Friends don't let friends use Stan's. Hell, even anonymous Internet people don't let other anonymous Internet people use Stan's - you'll just end up bashing road tubeless a year from now, if we let that happen.

With road tires/pressures, my general rule is that you want a sealant with particulate to help clog up punctures.

I use Orange Seal, regular or Endurance.

I usually put in 1.5-2oz in 28mm tires on wide rims.

How often you need to top off depends on a number of factors. Folks in hotter and drier climates report that they need to tend to it more frequently. Also, the more frequently you puncture, the more quickly you'll exhaust the supply in your tires; at the outset of the road riding season in my area, there's a lot of grit and debris on the road, and I tend to go through sealant faster.

Oh, and I've found that, even if the sealant still looks good after 6 months in your tires, the effectiveness may suffer. My running hypothesis is that the previously mentioned particulate gradually sticks to the inside of the tire carcass, rather than flow freely to punctures, at which point you're basically running Stan's. I had a puncture this year that should have sealed but didn't. I had checked the sealant a few days prior and it looked good, even though it had been a couple thousand miles. When I got home, I put in a fresh dose of sealant and inflated - the puncture sealed within a second or two.

​​​​​
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-14-22, 06:11 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,796 Posts
I just went from Orange Seal Endurance to Orange Seal regular. Their own website chart says the regular one plugs slightly larger holes and lasts longer. Waddi miss?
Old 10-14-22, 06:23 AM
WhyFi

Oh, and for any discussion involving sealant maintenance, I'd be remiss if I didn't link mention sealant syringes and tubeless valve stems that can pass the plastic needle - it makes adding/removing sealant trivial. There are a few syringes on Amazon (they're rebranded medical equipment), but this is the one that I've used - https://www.amazon.com/Tubeless-Seal.../dp/B07WR9MMDW For valves, I think that all of the machined, lightweight aluminum ones will pass the needle (the steel ones often narrow or have some kind of internal obstruction); I generally use Muc-Off because they're available locally.
Old 10-14-22, 06:26 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I just went from Orange Seal Endurance to Orange Seal regular. Their own website chart says the regular one plugs slightly larger holes and lasts longer. Waddi miss?
If you don't often get punctures large enough to warrant regular, the service interval with Endurance is longer.
Old 10-14-22, 08:13 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Been using Orange Seal Endurance for 3 years and only once did I have a puncture that it could not seal. For that, I used my DynaPlug kit to plug the hole, and it worked fine.

You mentioned high pressure on tubeless road tires. No need for high PSI. I run at about 70psi and it works fine. Others will have different recommendations. I’m not sure there is a correct psi…it’s a personal thing based on many factors.

I use a Kom Cycling sealant syringe to inject/extract sealant into the tires. There are lots of brands of syringes on Amazon but the Kom works great. Be sure to put the valve in the 12 o’clock position and let the sealant flow down to the bottom (i.e. 6 o’clock position) of the tire before removing the valve core and extracting or topping off sealant. Once you remove the valve core and all the air escapes, move the valve down to the 6 o’clock position to inject/extract sealant. Then install the valve core and inflate the tire Don’t ask how I discovered this now-obvious hint. If you follow this hint and use a syringe, injecting/extracting sealant can be done mess-free. Once the sealant is in the tire, rotate the tire around slowly a few times to get the sealant distributed inside the tire.

2 -3 ounces of sealant when there is none in the tire is plenty. I usually put in 2 ounces, and inject a bit more every few months to keep the level up. I store my road bike for the Winter months since I have another bike permanently mounted on my trainer. Prior to storing the road bike, I use the syringe to extract all of the sealant, and then inject a dose of new sealant in the Spring when outdoor riding starts up again.

Last edited by oldwinger14; 10-14-22 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Addt’l info inserted
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 10-14-22, 08:24 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I’ve also been using Orange for the last at least 5 years I’d say, never had an issue with it.

like Whyfi mentioned, I’m one of those in a hot dry climate. I generally forget to put new sealant in and am often puzzled for a moment or two when I go into my garage at 105 degrees to find a semi soft tire, then remember that I can’t remember when the last time I put sealant in lol. I use about 1.5 oz but as mentioned it evaporates easily in summer within 3 mths requiring additional. I probably add 1oz or so, but unlike everyone else I haven’t gotten a syringe yet, keep meaning to though. I just use the plastic tube that goes over the valve and squeeze the bottle a couple times. Works fine but I’d definitely do the syringe thing (and will eventually).

i carry a plug kit on my rides but haven’t had the chance to use it yet. Seems relatively straightforward though!

good luck and have fun!
Likes For robbyville:
Old 10-14-22, 08:45 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4397 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Alrighty tubeless people, it seems Big Tubeless finally got to me and I recently switched one wheelset over to tubeless. A few questions for the long time tubeless aficionados out there:

- What sealant brand(s) do you use?
- What sealant brand(s) have you found no so good for higher pressure road use?
- How much sealant are you putting into your road tyres?
- How often are you having to replace sealant?
- Have you successfully used a "tyre plug and CO2" to fix a bigger hole?

I've gone with Stan's sealant simply because that was what the bike shop had in stock at the time. Hopefully it does the job!
I've been using Muc-Off sealant recently. I think it's pretty good and lasts a good 6 months. I would be tempted to try the new Silca sealant next.
On 30mm wide road tyres I use approx 70 ml per tyre. A bit more than recommended.

I have successfully plugged large holes on the roadside with a Dynaplug kit. I use a mini-pump rather than CO2 to re-inflate. It doesn't get much use!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-14-22, 02:12 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3134 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 1,027 Posts
I’ve been high-pressure road tubeless since ‘14 and used many brands of sealant. I’ve also had as many as many as 5 bikes and 6 wheelsets tubeless concurrently, but now only keep 4 bikes tubeless all the time, including lower pressure 650b x 48.

The net of that experience is that I’m not much fussed with sealant, and will basically run whatever, although my favorite is Panaracer SmartSeal.

I also like Bontrager quite a lot, and Stan’s is fine by me. I do not like Joe’s Eco (do they still make it?) nor do I like OrangeSeal, which I find both messy and tends to clump into “boogers” all over the bead and casing.

I have a big jug of SealSmart, but will probably shift to Silca sealant next, since I find them thoughtful about the stuff they put their name on and trust them to do good stuff.

Although I carry both Stan’s Darts and some UK brand of “bacon strip” plug tool, I’ve never had to use them, so my only thoughts there are to pack one and skip the spare tube.

Also, pack both CO2 and mini-pump; sometimes you just need a little pressure so there’s no point in bustin’ a gas cartridge for that.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 10-14-22, 02:20 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
After reading the various reviews and comments here, I have been using Orange Seal for the past couple of years. Does the job well. No complaints.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 10-14-22, 03:58 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Friends don't let friends use Stan's. Hell, even anonymous Internet people don't let other anonymous Internet people use Stan's - you'll just end up bashing road tubeless a year from now, if we let that happen.​​​​​
Interesting. What's wrong with Stan's sealant? It seems a popular choice with good reviews. I didn't have a choice this time, but will next fill.

Originally Posted by oldwinger14
You mentioned high pressure on tubeless road tires. No need for high PSI. I run at about 70psi and it works fine.
Haha yeah I probably should have been clearer. I meant "road pressure" I guess, rather than the 15-20psi I run in my MTB tyres. 🙂
Old 10-14-22, 04:01 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Another vote for Orange Seal but I have put Orange Endurance in one set of wheels that I have.

BTW. I just replaced a front tire, a Schwalbe Pro One TLE that had at least 6,000 miles on it. After topping off the sealant every couple months, the inside of the tire looked something like Alien afterbirth.

Old 10-14-22, 04:52 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4943 Post(s)
Liked 8,083 Times in 3,824 Posts
I use Orange Seal Endurance on my road and MTBs. I was having some valve clogging issues on my MTB, and switched to Muc-Off vale stems, which are quite nice.
Old 10-14-22, 05:07 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Interesting. What's wrong with Stan's sealant? It seems a popular choice with good reviews. I didn't have a choice this time, but will next fill.
I've never used it myself, but complaints on the forum about road tubeless, not sealing at road pressure, almost always circle back to Stan's. I think that it's the lack of particulate; even with MTB and gravel, you'll see many Stan's users recommend mixing in glitter to plug up punctures.

There was one guy that thought it was standard operating procedure to: get a puncture, limp home at 20psi, take the tire off and patch it internally, and then remount. Every single time. That just blew my mind... and many others didn't even get results that good.

Most of the time, you shouldn't even notice a puncture.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-14-22, 05:13 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Orange Seal by a mile.. forget the rest seriously
Likes For spdntrxi:
Old 10-14-22, 05:20 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
That you're wrong.

Orange Seal states that Endurance is supposed to last significantly longer and works in colder temperatures than Regular. I've only used Endurance, had one noticeable leak that took a while but eventually sealed. Might consider using Regular next season, or mix them together, since Endurance lasted so long for me that I might not need to top off Regular as much as I initially was concerned about.

Years ago, a friend had Stan's that didn't seal and was going to swear off tubeless when I tipped him off about OS. He switched and hasn't had any more issues until his sealant dried up.
Likes For surak:
Old 10-14-22, 05:54 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Well, now I have a mixture of Panaracer, Orange Seal Endurance and Orange Seal regular sloshing around. I have another wheel-set with the same tires and tubes. I think the tubes at this point are lighter than all of the solid + liquid latex, and the ride is indistinguishable. (Jan Heine claims tubeless is actually slightly slower.) About the only significant advantage I can see is that I get to run Peaty's valve stems that match my Chris King hubs.

I'll wear out these tires doing tubeless, but I am seriously thinking of going back to tubes. Maybe I should follow Jan's suggestion and add a little sealant to the tubes. I would probably find tubeless more compelling if I lived in goathead territory.
Old 10-14-22, 06:21 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I use Orange Seal Sub-Zero in all my bicycle tubeless tires, so that I only have to stock one kind of sealant.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 10-14-22, 08:10 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by surak
I must have misread the chart (it was a different one from what you linked, but it, too, says the same).
Old 10-14-22, 08:11 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

As far as I can tell, all the Latex sealant that doesn't involve ammonia is interchangeable; the main difference seems to be what particles they use,
Old 10-14-22, 11:56 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
standard orange sealant in both the roadie and gravel bikes.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.