Old 12-02-22, 02:48 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 1,771 Times in 805 Posts
Weekly rides - Phoenix metro area

I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread on weekly rides in the Phoenix Metro area.

And in enlightened self-interest, I'll post the one I lead first.

For almost 60 years, there has been a Sunday morning ride departing from Granada Park in Phoenix and riding to a nice restaurant for breakfast and back (or maybe an extended ride afterward). Founded by Gene Berlatsky and sponsored by the Arizona Bicycle Club for decades, these rides are now a part of the Phoenix Metro Bicycle Club slate of weekly rides.

In the summer, (April thru September), we leave at 6:30 AM sharp. In the winter (October thru March), we leave at 7:30 sharp.

There are typically two consistent groups: the "3s", which is led by Mike Henningsen and ride at 14-16 mph, and my "4s" group, which rides at a relaxed 11-13 mph (the restaurant isn't running away from us, so we're not chasing it down). Mike posts a list of ride destinations on his blog at https://pmbc-granada.blogspot.com/

PMBC membership is recommended but not mandatory (for the initial ride). Club insurance does require the wearing of CPSC-approved helmets.

Granada Park is at 20th Street & Maryland Avenue in central Phoenix. Maryland is halfway between Bethany Home and Glendale Avenues, and 20th St is just east of the SR 51 freeway. It's easily reachable via bicycle via the Arizona Canal path or Maryland Ave. If driving or riding on other streets, riding south on 20th St. from Glendale or north on 18th St. from Bethany Home will get you there.

Hope to see you on a future ride!
Old 12-03-22, 06:57 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 329 Posts
One of these days I will make it to the Granada ride, but probably not tomorrow. The rain is supposed to be tapering off by then but the Spoke is calling.
Old 04-20-23, 08:36 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
How many miles average?
Old 04-20-23, 11:51 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 1,771 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by dbf73
How many miles average?
Both groups will typically ride for an hour or so to breakfast - the 3s covering 10-13 miles, the 4s covering 8-11 miles. Then a similar duration back to the park, with optional extended rides depending on interest & weather. We've had some riders recently extend the after-breakfast jaunt to 30 miles or more while the weather has been nice.
Likes For RCMoeur: