Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

To update Di2 components to latest software version or not

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-05-22, 03:22 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

Checking the front and rear derailleur in the E-Tube app shows there are software updates for both. Having been around non-bike related technology for years, I know the perils of updating stable systems to the latest and greatest versions. I also know Shimano has a hit-and-miss approach at times with software. So...

If my bike is working fine, is the risk of updating to the latest software versions worth it? Or should I stick with the 'if isn't broken, don't fix it" approach?

BTW these are minor updates for both. Going from versions 4.0X to 4.0Y for example. Not major whole release updates.
Old 08-05-22, 03:32 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You plugging it in to do the update or via the app? I would only do it if I can plug in via the PCE02.
Old 08-05-22, 03:40 PM
NoWhammies

No, I am doing the update via Bluetooth. From my iPhone to the rear derailleur. The Shimano 12 speed Di2 setup does not require the EW-WU111.
Old 08-05-22, 05:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I would go for v.latest unless I knew of a problem with it. Which is what you're asking. 🙂

I'm guessing the software for each trim level and generation is different, which one do you have?
Old 08-05-22, 05:08 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
I did a firmware update in 2015, mainly because I wanted to see if I could do it with a virtualized Windoze running in Mac OS X. It worked. I decided to quit while I was ahead, and haven't done so since.

Unless something is malfunctioning, or you want to add a component, there really isn't an imperative to do it. Even if the probability of bricking it is small, it would fsck to have to pay someone to unfsk the system.

I'm assembling a bike for someone else at the moment, and will have to do firmware updates on her system, since I am mixing generations of components. I can hardly wait.
Old 08-05-22, 05:11 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Update if you don't mind needing a backup plan in case it bricks, like taking it in to the LBS.

I've done some Di2 upgrades over Bluetooth that didn't take, luckily didn't brick. Then I went a super long time not touching it because everything worked, until I had some RD issues and chose to try updating using the wired connection. That issue ended up being something much simpler to resolve, but I won't risk bricking by trying over wireless anymore when wired is an option.
Old 08-05-22, 06:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
There was a period where updating via BT was a problem as the WU111 unit would partly update then lose the connection mid update, which would subsequently fail and brick the system. Don't know if they fixed that. Ive had 2 Di2 systems for several years and have never updated as my attitude is don't fix what ain't broke. The systems do what they are supposed to do, shift perfectly and I'm not messing with that.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 08-05-22, 06:54 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
There have been hundreds of thousands of updates done to Di2 systems since 2015, 99% without issues. If you are a hammer everything looks like a nail. If you look for people who say its a bad idea trust me you will find them, ask and you will find tens of thousands of people who still believe the world is flat. I check from time to time if an update is available if so I update it via Bluetooth without issue. If given a choice I set all my devices to auto update and haven’t a regret.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-05-22, 07:14 PM
NoWhammies

Thanks for all the advice folks. I guess in the end it comes down to what my risk level is. Still not certain what I'll do. Trouble is I did not buy the bike from the LBS so if I do brick the system, I am taking it into the shop without any support. And I HATE that feeling/doing that.
Old 08-05-22, 08:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
There have been hundreds of thousands of updates done to Di2 systems since 2015, 99% without issues. If you are a hammer everything looks like a nail. If you look for people who say its a bad idea trust me you will find them, ask and you will find tens of thousands of people who still believe the world is flat. I check from time to time if an update is available if so I update it via Bluetooth without issue. If given a choice I set all my devices to auto update and haven’t a regret.
Maybe so, but I'd still ask if there's something along the lines of 'release notes' that cover what the update is supposed to gain you in the way of additional functionality or fixing something you weren't aware of being less than optimal. It's not like we're talking about an internet facing application that needs to work with anything else except itself.
Old 08-06-22, 01:18 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Thanks for all the advice folks. I guess in the end it comes down to what my risk level is. Still not certain what I'll do.
If it helps, I am running the very latest firmware on my 12-speed Di2. No idea what the update added/fixed, but everything still works and there were no dramas.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 08-06-22, 08:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
If it helps, I am running the very latest firmware on my 12-speed Di2. No idea what the update added/fixed, but everything still works and there were no dramas.
FWIW, you can get a very general description of what each firmware update does here: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/e-tub.../firmware.html
Likes For Sy Reene: