Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Keeps You From Riding More?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-25-22, 09:33 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts

Life gets in the way for most of us, keeping us away from our passion/fitness/relaxation regime. What keeps you off the bike more than you want and are there any changes you can make to get more seat time?

For me, its the change in the weather. We have entered the rainy-cool season in the Pacific North Wet. Will get out the fendered bike on the wet roads, but being caught in downpours and then cleaning/relubing the bike afterward is exactly not my kind of fun. (OK, I’m lazy). OTOH, I do have ZWIFT but an hour is about all I can bear/bare/baer, stand.

Even though you may have good weather all year, are there things keeping you from your ride?

Last edited by rsbob; 10-25-22 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Edit: Yes SoCal people, I know you can cycle all year.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-25-22, 09:35 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Life gets in the way for most of us, keeping us away from our passion/fitness/relaxation regime. What keeps you off the bike more than you want and are there any changes you can make to get more seat time?

For me, its the change in the weather. We have entered the rainy-cool season in the Pacific North Wet. Will get out the fendered bike on the wet roads, but being caught in downpours and then cleaning/relubing the bike afterward is exactly not my kind of fun. (OK, I’m lazy). OTOH, I do have ZWIFT but an hour is about all I can bear/bare/baer, stand.
Cold and rain.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 10-25-22, 09:39 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Cold, rain and wind.
Long hours at work; I come home and it's already starting to get dark this time of year.
Other hobbies take up a lot of time.
My mom died in January, and taking care of her finances, her taxes and her other assets such as the house have taken up a lot of time this year.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 10-25-22, 09:48 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts
My current "normal" schedule is 4 days per week (Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun) on the bike, and I'm not really itching for more. Right now, I'm bumping up against the shortening daylight hours on week days, and very soon my Tues/Thurs evening sessions will become all Zwift. On the weekends, I ride in the morning. If it's raining or cold, it's a no-go. I also get hit with the occasional lack of motivation, and decide that napping on the couch with my dogs is much more appealing.

Last edited by Eric F; 10-25-22 at 11:04 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 10-25-22, 09:51 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
BF keeps me from riding more. Maybe I should rethink my life choices.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-25-22, 10:02 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Since the weather is turning wet/cold/windy I've upped my normal 25 miles outdoor ride to 30+ indoor on the trainer. I combine kindle reading time with riding time indoors and it's all good. The GPS comes off and the custom kindle mount goes on. The fendered bike is set up and ready to go if I feel adventurous though.
Old 10-25-22, 10:09 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Cold, rain and wind.
Long hours at work; I come home and it's already starting to get dark this time of year.
Other hobbies take up a lot of time.
My mom died in January, and taking care of her finances, her taxes and her other assets such as the house have taken up a lot of time this year.
i wasn't going to bring this up but since you did...my mom just passed away 9 days ago. you know how i am feeling and i am beginning to go through all those details as well. it is a slow and hard process. keeping my dad sane is just as difficult. his whole house reminds him of her.

so i ride in the garage when i can.
Likes For spelger:
Old 10-25-22, 10:23 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Weather & Time. Either have one working against me at any given day.
Old 10-25-22, 10:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
The crazy cost of healthcare in the U.S. It’s the only thing keeping me working.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-25-22, 11:38 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

Even though you may have good weather all year, are there things keeping you from your ride?

for me it's work..when not working its easy for me to ride on most days

And have been meaning to tell you this..since you changed your picture I'm getting a different vibe from your posts (more positive??)..not sure what changed other than your pic (probably nothing)..just wanted to say
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 10-25-22, 11:44 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The crazy cost of healthcare in the U.S. It’s the only thing keeping me working.
Ain't that the truth. My annual mileage more than doubled when I semi-retired at 54, and I'm now fully retired this year at 59. It was all possible, in part, because I have a younger working wife who carries me on her health insurance.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-25-22, 11:46 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
For me, I think it's mostly just adulting. (Note: This is not the same thing as adultery! I've never gone there.) So let's see...

- I have a full time job (40-ish hours per week)

- A second job, mostly on weekends

- My family--only one teenage son still at home, but there's always something, and our three adult daughters still need help with stuff from time to time

- I am active in my church and community--not lots of hours, but some volunteer service here and there

- Last January, I got sick (that dang 'Rona). It only really kept me down for about a week, but I didn't get my full energy and strength back for a couple months

- Around the same time I was going through this, my wife started treatments for breast cancer.

-- She was diagnosed last December, and starting in January underwent two surgeries, then chemo, radiation, and a bunch of other stuff.

-- Caring for her took up most of my time, and I also took on her share of the routine errands, housework, etc.

-- She's now slowly returning to normal health and activity, but...

- I'm sick again, for about the past month. Nothing serious, just a nasty, persistent cough. Probably bronchitis. I've been to the doctor twice, but there's not much he can do about it.

-- Just coming out of it now, and I hope to start riding again, however...

- Now it's getting cold and wet here, and days are short (I don't really like riding in the dark)

- My extended family relies on me somewhat. My dad passed away April of last year, so I'm trying to be there for Mom. I've also tried to help my brother as often as possible, as he faced some really tough challenges lately.

- I have the kind of house and cars that seem to require frequent maintenance or repairs. I do most of these myself. I'm pretty handy, but it often feels like treading water.

- When I get a chance to exercise, I have to choose between running and biking, as I enjoy both. My dog likes it when I choose running, because she can usually go with. When I ride, she usually cannot.

- That's about all I can think of. Whenever I'm caught up on this stuff, I can ride as often as I wish!

Thinking through that was kind of cathartic. I've been irritated lately that I don't get out to ride very often (sometimes not at all for a week or longer). I have several nice bikes just sitting in the garage, and I think it makes them sad to not get ridden. Thinking through it to identify what's stopping me, I don't feel so bad. I mean, it's not like I'm just being lazy. Okay, sometimes it's that too. But mostly it's all the stuff we usually lump together in the category of "life."

I relish the great outdoor adventures and find they recharge my soul, even when they're sort of few and far between. Besides the little local rides that I try to fit in at least weekly, this year I've been on two or three really good, long bike rides, entered a couple races, and done a few great hikes/trail runs. That's about a half dozen cool experiences in one year; what have I to complain about?

Last edited by Broctoon; 10-25-22 at 12:43 PM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 10-25-22, 11:48 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Work, time, other hobbies. This weekend I have the Marine Corps Marathon. Training for a fall marathon starts in June. Once you get into the long runs, not much bike riding till after the marathon is finished.
Old 10-25-22, 11:56 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Broctoon
-- She's now slowly returning to normal health and activity, but...
Glad to see this line.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-25-22, 12:10 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
house chores. Without them, I'd prob ride two additional days per week.
Old 10-25-22, 12:11 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Work and weather mostly. Getting dark way earlier. I also have alot of other summer hobbies that require good weather. I have four motorcycles and 4 bicycles so I need alot of good weather for my 2 wheeled pursuits. I did manage 1500 miles per year the last two years.
Old 10-25-22, 12:15 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Some of us are working adults working 40-50 hours or more plus time for food preps, shopping, cleaning, chores around the house, family, etc, does not leave much extra time for riding during the week except commute time to and from work for riding. Otherwise; Weather, winds, cold, rain, being dark outside both way (when going to work and when riding home from work these days) don't matter, do not bother me. NO TIME. Lack of Time. Understand?

Last edited by Eds0123; 10-25-22 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-25-22, 01:03 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
Ain't that the truth. My annual mileage more than doubled when I semi-retired at 54, and I'm now fully retired this year at 59. It was all possible, in part, because I have a younger working wife who carries me on her health insurance.
Nice. I will be 58 in March. Single. I have good, relatively inexpensive benefits through work, including health, dental and vision. That's a tough nut to give up. Assuming I can make it to 60, I am leaving, health care costs be damned. I can receive a full pension at that point, and I will get an enhanced benefit until I am able to apply for Railroad Retirement at age 62, albeit a reduced RR benefit. One thing I have added to my to-do list this fall/winter is look into what health care would cost on the "open market" and what my RR benefit will be because I really don't want to work anymore. Fortunately, I have no dependents and no debt at this time, and don't expect to have any of either in the future.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-25-22, 01:14 PM
Koyote

Nice. I will be 58 in March. Single. I have good, relatively inexpensive benefits through work, including health, dental and vision. That's a tough nut to give up. Assuming I can make it to 60, I am leaving, health care costs be damned. I can receive a full pension at that point, and I will get an enhanced benefit until I am able to apply for Railroad Retirement at age 62, albeit a reduced RR benefit. One thing I have added to my to-do list this fall/winter is look into what health care would cost on the "open market" and what my RR benefit will be because I really don't want to work anymore. Fortunately, I have no dependents and no debt at this time, and don't expect to have any of either in the future.
Good luck with it! I am very happily retired. I volunteer in the community, help my wife's organization (pro bono), our house is now consistently clean and other chores are easily covered, I ride 7k-8k miles per year, and I hit the local brewery taproom every Friday afternoon. It's a great life.

Oh, and on-point with this thread topic: given the reduced time constraints, it's easier than ever for me to ride around town on my SS commuter bike. It always makes me feel good to use the bike instead of a car.
Old 10-25-22, 01:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts

Restraining orders.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-25-22, 01:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Encroaching dusk.

Come November 6, it will no longer be possible for me to do a post-work outdoor ride, so I'll be riding in the garage during the week.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-25-22, 01:29 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
Good luck with it! I am very happily retired. I volunteer in the community, help my wife's organization (pro bono), our house is now consistently clean and other chores are easily covered, I ride 7k-8k miles per year, and I hit the local brewery taproom every Friday afternoon. It's a great life.

Oh, and on-point with this thread topic: given the reduced time constraints, it's easier than ever for me to ride around town on my SS commuter bike. It always makes me feel good to use the bike instead of a car.
I took last Friday off before my overnight bike trip. Had nothing pressing to do but take the cat to get his nails clipped. It was so relaxing. Rode to my favorite local market then grilled dinner in the late afternoon. It was so relaxing.

One thing that is pushing me over the edge is the looming reality that in a few weeks I am going to have to start driving about 17 miles to work each way every day because we are closing our office that is 2 miles from my house. I am currently going to that office twice/week. I have considered riding, but there is a choke point that makes it really unsafe. Years ago, I used to ride over there, but we moved to a slightly different location. The last couple of miles are really bike-unfriendly. I may still change my mind. My car, which I bought new in early July of 2016, has only about 18,300 miles on it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-25-22, 01:30 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Pain and I hate my bike.
Old 10-25-22, 01:32 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Pain and I hate my bike.
Cue rydabent to tell you what your problem is.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-25-22, 01:36 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Cue rydabent to tell you what your problem is.

I have one of those, just don't feel like riding it.

Will eventually get something I like or neck surgery, not sure which first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.