Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Local bike shops that steal your parts..

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Local bike shops that steal your parts..

Old 11-02-22, 08:04 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
I work at a shop as a wrench and our policy is to give the customer his old parts...such as stem, handlebars, etc. when we change/upgrade them. Chains that are stretched, worn cassettes, freewheels, etc. go in the scrap barrel. I've had a customer ask for a chain back here and there. I always ask why, just curious, and they usually say they are going to use them for a project...bracelet, art project, etc...always a cool use and much better than going in the scrap barrel.
Fortunately I don't remember ever having heard a complaint about a part being replaced with an inferior part...basically stolen IMO...I've worked in 3 shops for near 30 years so I'm very pleased to state this.
We have replaced a high quality part with a lesser quality part generally due to that is all that's available or the customer can't afford or won't spend the money on the exact replacement but the part needed replacing for failure of some sort and in general we ask if they want the old part back.
It really sucks to not trust a shop you bring your bike to.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 11-02-22, 08:22 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by afrowheels
...today I noticed that one of my XT brake calipers had been switched for a no-name brand grey plastic piece of crap. Hard to put into words...
If not by accident then all I can say is...

Rats!!!

Old 11-02-22, 08:33 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
If not by accident then all I can say is...

Rats!!!

You don't cuss much, do ya?
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 11-03-22, 07:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
"Jiminy cricket" gives you so many more consonants to indicate your disgust than "rats."
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-03-22, 07:58 AM
McCycle

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I was on a road bike before I had a motorcycle. Seemed like a natural transition at the time.

Not having ridden either in years, about a decade ago I was thinking about getting a motorcycle. And ended up getting a road bike instead. I joked that it satisfied the desire.
The same works in reverse. After finally giving up motorcycles by way of selling my last one and not being able to replace it, then deciding I was better off without one anyway - one of the few things a partner will nearly always agree on - my interest in bicycles has rekindled tenfold.

Last edited by McCycle; 11-04-22 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-04-22, 11:05 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by McCycle
Highly relevant, as it relates to someone willing to steal/swap out your bikes parts for theirs in broad daylight.
Motorcycle parts, in broad daylight, outside, not a business, not a bicycle, not a bike repair shop, not a person paid to perform repairs or service on your bike, as in bicycle. Verdict: NOT RELEVANT
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-04-22, 02:20 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Motorcycle parts, in broad daylight, outside, not a business, not a bicycle, not a bike repair shop, not a person paid to perform repairs or service on your bike, as in bicycle. Verdict: NOT RELEVANT
Considering the topic starter, I think it's very relevant. Maybe because I can relate to his experience. You must be having a bad day, is it the weather? Oh excuse me, that's off topic and not relevant.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 11-04-22, 02:48 PM
McCycle

Human nature, it's all around us.

I trust other humans no farther than I can throw them. "Locks keep honest folk honest" and all that.

Btw, it's not paranoia if they're really out to get you, and your bike parts.

Living in a U District years ago, the area was mad about bikes, and stories of bike thefts were legendary.

Dudes I rode with had one stolen right out from the entrance hallway inside one of those grand old houses, foot chase ensued, thief got away.

High end MTB's.

In one case just a few alleys down, someone with a very secure garage and very xpensive MTB inside had his garage roof ripped open in the night, big enough to get a bike out. The cost of the roof damage probably exceeded the cost of the bike.

I always wondered how you got on a list for a hit like that?

I mean how many people know you have a $2500 Klein, besides the bike shop that sold it to you.

So the world is made of good people and bad people, and it's the same all over, in bike shops, out of bike shops, here.
Old 11-04-22, 02:51 PM
McCycle

Originally Posted by SpedFast
is it the weather?
I've never seen winter come on this fast.

2-4" of snow last night + 60 mph wind gusts, then 2-4" more tomorrow night, then 9º Monday night.
Likes For McCycle:
Old 11-04-22, 04:10 PM
McCycle

This was 2 days ago, had a feeling it might be a last ride for a while.

Basking in the fall colors just two days ago, the leaves are still on everything and have just started turning colors. Untimely snow can wreak havoc on trees and shrubs.
Likes For McCycle:
Old 11-04-22, 08:01 PM
phughes

Considering the topic starter, I think it's very relevant. Maybe because I can relate to his experience. You must be having a bad day, is it the weather? Oh excuse me, that's off topic and not relevant.
I'm having a great day, but his post really isn't relevant. I'm glad you got something out of it, but it doesn't relate to people in a business swapping parts whilst repairing your bike. Just making an observation. Have a nice day.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-04-22, 10:40 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
dearest mods,

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Photoshopped felts on Facebook off the shoulder of Rapid City.
I watched Squiggles in the dark micturate beyond his Zombieslayer.
All those moments will be lost in time... like melodeon notes in the rain...

................Time to close this thread.
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 11-05-22, 05:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Someone gets it. It’s why I’ve updated my iggy list.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-05-22, 07:35 AM
McCycle

Are posts about topic relevancy in any way informative to anyone.

How can one person decide what's relevant or not for others?
Likes For McCycle:
Old 11-05-22, 12:34 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by McCycle
Are posts about topic relevancy in any way informative to anyone.

How can one person decide what's relevant or not for others?
It isn't that your post isn't something people may want to consider when out and bout, it is just that is is not the same type of situation that the OP was talking about. Don't get all bet out of shape over the fact people don't see the relevancy. When someone pays a business to perform service, they expect their bike to be returned with their own parts. You are trusting the shop with your property.

Now, if you had sent your motorcycle to a shop to have them perform a repair, and while doing so they swapped your engine guards for a cheaper set of engine guards, it would be more relevant. It's about being able to trust the shop working on your bike. Of course I believe that the vast majority of bike shops are trustworthy, and what the OP experienced is an anomaly, but still, that is what the thread is about.

The OP didn't park his bike at a bike fest, and find someone was trying to swap their Selle Anatomica with the his vastly more superior Brooks B17...

But other than that, welcome to the forum, you will find it a great resource, and yes, many threads get derailed, and most do drift, but that doesn't mean people won't acknowledge it. I ride a motorcycle too, in fact my motorcycles get used more than my cars, but we are talking bicycles here.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-05-22, 01:18 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Before seeming to cast a dark cloud of suspicion over our local bike shops, the OP should probably have mentioned he appears(from his statement in another thread) to be in Bogota, Colombia.
There you go. I saw some crazy stuff on YouTube before, about that place. Not somewhere I'd want to tour alone. 😋😉
Old 11-05-22, 02:18 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
There you go. I saw some crazy stuff on YouTube before, about that place. Not somewhere I'd want to tour alone. 😋😉
i think he's still in england (based on another poster's find of the bike shop label), getting this bike set up for a souf' american tour. he did say somewhere he's in a developing country, but that may have been alleged british humour.

in his other thread, OP talks about taking the bike plus parts, picking up some more in the US, and then having a shop in bogota do the handlebar and component switch.

So the update on this is that it hasn't worked out so well because of postal issues. I got the 9-speed cassette and new front ring, but the Gevenalle shifters have not arrived and probably never will (sent by RoyalMail initially but then to my local very unreliable postal service). So my current plan is to take the bike through as it is along with the cassette and ring, then try to pick up the shifters in the US en route, get some handlebars in Colombia and rebuild the bike myself or get a local workshop to help me out once I get to the other side! Downside obviously being that I will have to take extra components as luggage and then abandon or ship home the ones that get removed.
Old 11-06-22, 02:34 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Inventory your bike with a list and video. When the lbs does this again, press charges.
Old 11-06-22, 06:16 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I toured in Colombia 4 years ago. I had no problems at all. None of the touring cyclists I met reported any issues, either. Beautiful country with friendly people. The cycling was not easy, however, due to terrain & altitude in the Zona Cafetera, the region I toured in. I had visited Bogota and the region north of it a few years earlier, no biking except for a day ride on a rental one day. No problems on that trip, either. There are a few parts of Colombia I would probably avoid, however.
Likes For axolotl:
Old 11-08-22, 08:07 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
You don't cuss much, do ya?
"Rats" IS a four-letter word...
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 11-08-22, 08:22 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I worked in multiple shops and never saw anything like this happen. Not saying it has never happened, but it is certainly not common.

I have, however, been accused and seen others accused of stealing parts and accessories due to misunderstandings or misrememberings - either the customer thought they left an accessory on their bike that they did not (always tried to remove and hand everything back before we put the bike in the big pile awaiting repair) or they left it at home, or a worn or broken part was thrown away instead of returned or offered to the client. I have not met the LBS employee who sees a worn (or even partially worn) chain or brake lever or tire and licks their lips and whispers 'SCORE!' under their breath.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 11-08-22, 08:25 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Part ii - correction

There was more than one occasion where the shop I was working at (me? someone else?) DID remove an accessory to complete the repair and forgot to put it back on, which was where the 'give every accessory back to the customer before they leave the bike' police came from. The item I can recall this happening with was under-saddle bags that made the seatpost impossible to clamp in the repair stand, so was put aside while the work was done. I think it may have happened with a computer or two as well.
Old 11-16-22, 04:19 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 199 Posts
I used to have a shop in town that stole parts all the time, from myself and others. The first time it happened to me I took my bike in to swap headsets, they took off the Stronglight Comp headset, I told them I wanted it back so they put it in a bag and I took it home and stuck in storage, 5 years or so later I took the bag out to use the headset for a project and turned out they put in a cheap Tioga headset. I heard other complaints from other riders since I discovered my problem.
Old 11-17-22, 03:37 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Almost as bad, or perhaps worse, is when a shop damages your bike a LOT. I was riding through Toronto Canada and noticed that my driveside crankarm was a bit too close to the frame. I stopped at a shop and asked them to adjust the crankarm by putting a thing shim between the bottom bracket cup and the frame. They said they'd do it and to come back in an hour. I came back only to find that instead of putting in a shim they simply HAMMERED the chainstay until there was more clearance for the chainringI

A Columbus SL frameset with Dura Ace AX components. I was NOT a happed camper and grabbed my bike and left without paying them a cent.

I sure do wish I could remember the name of that shop.

Many decades ago I had a shop remove a freewheel and chain and install new ones. I told them I wanted to old ones for another bike. When I went to get my bike I discovered that they'd removed the freeewheel with the hammer and punch method and had wrecked the slots completely. It was a Suntour freewheel. The chain looked like it had been removed with two screw drivers - one through each link and the chain twisted until it broke apart. needless to say that chain was useless.

Cheers

Last edited by Miele Man; 11-17-22 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-17-22, 12:11 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 199 Posts
All you did was leave the shop without paying? I would have called the police for them purposely damaging the bike's frame, and then took them to small claims court to get compensated for the damaged frame. When I would have gone to court I would taken another bike ship mechanic with me to explain to the judge how that was a bad thing to do and it ruined the frame. Sorry, but I would not have put up with just not paying them and leaving.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.