Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Seattle to Vernal, Utah, 1120 Miles

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 11-23-22, 12:52 PM
M1T

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 32 Posts

In 2018, we did a nice diagonal route from Seattle to Boise (area), then east across southern Idaho. Then SE towards northern Utah across some of Wyoming. We didn't have much of a plan, and used Google Maps in cycling mode for the most part to pick the least busy roads. We stayed at cheap road-motels, camped, and used Warm Showers when possible.

The original plan was to end at my house in Crested Butte, Colorado, but the temps hit 105 in Vernal, so we rented a car and drove back. The friend with me had a mild heart attack, had a stent installed, etc., just a few weeks before we started and I didn't feel right about potentially ending him over completing a goal. One of these days, I'll ride the rest of it, but on FS and BLM backroads.

Flickr Album, Seattle to Utah

Last edited by M1T; 11-23-22 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-23-22, 02:04 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Nice photos. Not clear what the warning referred to.

How do you like the Soma Saga? I have one, and am still trying to decide...
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 11-23-22, 02:29 PM
M1T

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Nice photos. Not clear what the warning referred to.

How do you like the Soma Saga? I have one, and am still trying to decide...
I like the Soma for longer distance road and smooth gravel type roads. I think pretty much any modern touring bike will do, but this one fits me right and its solid as can be. I don't like the cantilever brake at all and if I didn't already have the rim brake SON hub wheel built, I'd add a disc up front.
For more off road type touring (rougher roads, some single tack, etc.), I ride the Pivot Les Fat. I some times think about selling one or the other, and if I did, I'd sell the SOMA as the Les Fat is capable on any road where as the SOMA is more pave road orientated. I've ridden the Les Fat hundreds of miles on paved roads, but the SOMA is not that suited for rough or sandy roads. Hope that makes sense. But for now, I'll keep them both.

The Global Warming thing was a goof (scroll down and read the full captions and it'll be clearer!).
Old 11-23-22, 02:54 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Thanks. I have the Soma Saga disc FWIW.

One entertaining feature is it fits 55mm 700c tires.
Old 11-23-22, 07:48 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Thanks. I have the Soma Saga disc FWIW.

One entertaining feature is it fits 55mm 700c tires.
Aha, I wasn't aware of that added tire clearance, on the disc version. My non-disc is supposed to take 700x47 tires, and I really don't doubt it. I have a 700x42 on the rear now, and it's really not a tight fit at all. 👍

Regarding cantilevers, mine came with Paul Touring cantilevers, and I think they're at least as good as any v-brakes I've ever used. 😎
Likes For stardognine: