Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

'I just can't stop': Cyclist dies after confessing he was addicted to riding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

'I just can't stop': Cyclist dies after confessing he was addicted to riding

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-22, 11:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Nothing in excess is healthy.
Well except for liquor and cigarettes those are perfectly safe in large quantities
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-02-22, 12:46 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts

...so am I the only one who felt badly for the guy on reading this? I can remember a time in my life when I was so intent on maintaining a certain level of fitness (for my job...which was pretty physical), that I did some pretty stupid stuff and managed to achieve some chronic overuse injuries that took years to clear up. Some of them never did. I agree that in preference to riding an indoor trainer I would choose to be beaten with a softball bat. But I do have some empathy to the addictive exerciser.

Originally Posted by Billy Noonan
If I had known I was going to live so long, I’d have taken better care of myself. *

*https://quoteinvestigator.com/2020/02/04/care/
Old 12-02-22, 02:33 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
I have to wonder what his fluid intake habits were.

This sounds like it may be a classic case of chronic low level dehydration. Regulatory signals for our autonomic functions need adequately wetted pathways in order to reach their target and do their job properly.

Last edited by streetsurfer; 12-02-22 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-02-22, 06:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo

Isn't it more like 40 miles per day? Doesn't contradict your point though. What killed him was his reluctance to pay attention to his heart, not the cycling "addiction"

Although, I'd have to say it must have been a huge addiction to compulsively ride that much indoors regardless of whether it's 24 or 41 miles. Yeah, I might understand it for a serious competitor trying to maximize fitness for competition or some other event. But just because someone likes riding?

I made the math correction above--it was 40 miles per day, for some reason I converted to miles twice!

On an indoor trainer, that 40 miles is probably about 2 and a fraction hours per day. That's a bit, but it doesn't seem to me like the crazy amount it's being portrayed here. The craziness is ignoring the chest pains, and I'm curious to know if he was overdoing HIIT or something where he might have been deluded into thinking that was normal.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-02-22, 06:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer

...so am I the only one who felt badly for the guy on reading this? I can remember a time in my life when I was so intent on maintaining a certain level of fitness (for my job...which was pretty physical), that I did some pretty stupid stuff and managed to achieve some chronic overuse injuries that took years to clear up. Some of them never did. I agree that in preference to riding an indoor trainer I would choose to be beaten with a softball bat. But I do have some empathy to the addictive exerciser.

*https://quoteinvestigator.com/2020/02/04/care/
Not sure what our empathy is worth, but I think that someone who dies 3 days after telling a reporter that he's consciously ignoring heart symptoms is an unfortunate object lesson. Frankjy, I think the cycling component here is incidental. He could have had these symptoms climbing a flight of stairs or running to catch a train.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-02-22, 07:07 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
A guy who had previously raced with the club I race with on Zwift died of a fatal cardiac event during a race 4-ish months ago. A note briefly went around to all the older guys on the team about "is there someone there with you when you ride in case something happens?" I think most have already moved on from that by now though.
Old 12-02-22, 07:47 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 256 Posts
There has been quite an increase in heart related deaths in younger people the last couple years according to the stats released by insurance companies. I wonder what could have possibly caused it.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 12-02-22, 07:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by streetsurfer
I have to wonder what his fluid intake habits were.

This sounds like it may be a classic case of chronic low level dehydration. Regulatory signals for our autonomic functions need adequately wetted pathways in order to reach their target and do their job properly.

Sorry, but that's just total BS speculation on your part. I could just as easily speculate he was suffering from hyponatremia, literally the opposite problem.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-02-22, 09:54 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
He averaged "more than 2,000km of cycling per month, much of it on indoors on a turbo trainer."

I'm surprised he didn't die of boredom.
I ride indoors sometimes during the winter when the temp starts dropping below 10 degrees. You'd be surprised how easy it is to ride indoors once you fire up the Metallica and other similar music on your favorite play list. I have a station created on Pandora called Avenged Sevenfold radio...Practically every song that comes on has a tempo that is great for biking indoors.
Likes For prj71:
Old 12-02-22, 10:05 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Snark aside, he was averaging about 24.4 miles per day. I seriously doubt the riding was what killed him.

Ignoring chest pains is a pretty stupid thing to do.
2000 km/month = 1242 miles/month. Times 12 = 14,900/year or 40.8/day.

His heart knew he didn't have a life?
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-02-22, 10:36 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Not sure what our empathy is worth, but I think that someone who dies 3 days after telling a reporter that he's consciously ignoring heart symptoms is an unfortunate object lesson. Frankjy, I think the cycling component here is incidental. He could have had these symptoms climbing a flight of stairs or running to catch a train.

...and he could have visited the top cardiologist local to him, after waiting three months for a new patient appointment, and dropped dead on the trip home. The cycling component is only the reason it showed up in the cycling publication where it read it.
Old 12-02-22, 11:42 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
PubMed defines Exercise Addiction, “The findings suggest that an individual who is addicted to exercise will continue exercising regardless of physical injury, personal inconvenience or disruption to other areas of life including marital strain, interference with work and lack of time for other activities. 'Addicted' exercisers are more likely to exercise for intrinsic rewards and experience disturbing deprivation sensations when unable to exercise”

Hopefully this doesn’t sound too familiar to most of you/us. It certainly defines the subject of this thread.

I did have a bit of this in my early 30s when I had a bad marriage and didn’t like my job. As a result I buried myself in being on the bike when I was not working or asleep. Now I love my job (retired) and my spouse - and can get as little or much of cycling as I want and still live life.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-02-22, 11:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

My math was wrong, though, he was averaging about 40 miles a day.
I made the math correction above--it was 40 miles per day, for some reason I converted to miles twice!
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

I'm going to have to edit that post to take out the bad math as I really don't want to acknowledge it more than 3 times, and I actually was the first one to correct the error.

Still don't think it's enough time for it to be a health hazard wothout some other complicating factor.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-02-22, 01:25 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
...and he could have visited the top cardiologist local to him, after waiting three months for a new patient appointment, and dropped dead on the trip home. The cycling component is only the reason it showed up in the cycling publication where it read it.
I would think if someone walks into an emergency room with chest pains, they would run some tests to determine if there was an issue. If it were serious, you would most likely get admitted, or a referral to speed things up. Might not be the top cardiologist, but better than nothing.

And they are obligated to uphold the hippocratic oath, which according the the internet in its original form is...
I swear by Apollo Healer, by Asclepius, by Hygieia, by Panacea, and by all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will carry out, according to my ability and judgment, this oath and this indenture.

Probably not as good as the Dalai Lama, but at least you've got that going for you.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-02-22, 01:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Probably not as good as the Dalai Lama, but at least you've got that going for you.
"Hey, Lama, hey! How about a little somethin', you know, for the effort, you know?"

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-02-22, 01:40 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
PubMed defines Exercise Addiction, “The findings suggest that an individual who is addicted to exercise will continue exercising regardless of physical injury, personal inconvenience or disruption to other areas of life including marital strain, interference with work and lack of time for other activities. 'Addicted' exercisers are more likely to exercise for intrinsic rewards and experience disturbing deprivation sensations when unable to exercise”

Hopefully this doesn’t sound too familiar to most of you/us. It certainly defines the subject of this thread.

I did have a bit of this in my early 30s when I had a bad marriage and didn’t like my job. As a result I buried myself in being on the bike when I was not working or asleep. Now I love my job (retired) and my spouse - and can get as little or much of cycling as I want and still live life.
I've wondered if some athletes become addicted to their own endorphins.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-02-22, 02:01 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I would think if someone walks into an emergency room with chest pains, they would run some tests to determine if there was an issue. If it were serious, you would most likely get admitted, or a referral to speed things up. Might not be the top cardiologist, but better than nothing.

And they are obligated to uphold the hippocratic oath, which according the the internet in its original form is...
I swear by Apollo Healer, by Asclepius, by Hygieia, by Panacea, and by all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will carry out, according to my ability and judgment, this oath and this indenture.

John
...I have been to at least one local ER as a patient. Not trying to get this tossed into P+R, but the first thing they asked me for was my insurance card.
Old 12-02-22, 02:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

...I have been to at least one local ER as a patient. Not trying to get this tossed into P+R, but the first thing they asked me for was my insurance card.

Not that it matters, but that wouldn't likely have been the case with the story in the OP as he was British.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-02-22, 02:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I've wondered if some athletes become addicted to their own endorphins.
..there are plenty of people who use exercise as a preventive for seasonal depression, or depression in general.
Endorphin response probably plays at least some role in exercise addiction, but I'm not sure if it's been quantified anywhere.
Old 12-02-22, 02:04 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Not that it matters, but that wouldn't likely have been the case with the story in the OP as he was British.
...but the cardiology appointment just got pushed out another 3 months
Old 12-02-22, 02:10 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

i ride about half of that a year. guess i only have to worry about half of my heart. now...which half?

seriously, 40 mi/day is a lot of riding. and way too much indoors. i once did a metric century indoors. never, never, never again.
Old 12-02-22, 02:16 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
That could be solved if hospitals offered their own cash back cards.

0.5% cash back for all visits.
1% cash back on all sutures.
2% cash back on all transplants.
Plus unlimited miles for all pickups and deliveries.

The first questioned asked will be, "What's in your wallet?"

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-02-22, 02:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by rsbob

...that's interesting. For me it was a completely soul crushing job, in Merced California ( a Central Valley town that experienced four straight months of overcast and fog every winter, back when climate was normal here.) My (now ex-) wife was living and going to school at Davis, so that wasn't swell. And I was the AFGE union guy for the Modesto district. I worked out a routine of cycling everywhere, running at night on the creek trail, and swimming laps and weight circuit training after work every evening, over at the community college. I only used the car for drives to Davis, which became les and less frequent.

It worked, because my next job was working for the Sacramento Fire Department. But I'm not sure how many more years I could have kept up that routine.
Old 12-02-22, 02:52 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
...so am I the only one who felt badly for the guy on reading this?
No. Not at all.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-02-22, 04:13 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Looks like obsession with fitness and trying to reach unrealistic performance standards can be just as bad for your health as eating too much fast food and being sedentary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.