Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer solo rides to group rides, and why?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you prefer solo rides to group rides, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 05:28 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
We definitely agree that "solo" is one, and only one. What do we call two "solo" riders riding next to each other?
That'd be a duo... a group of two.

Yes, I'm new(ish) here, but I've spent way too much time over way too many years burning through my work days on other discussion forum sites. Every site has that pedantic guy.
And I'm typically not fond of that guy, but pointing out that a group consists of two or more isn't pedantry - it's a basic definition.
Old 03-08-21, 05:31 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

Do you prefer solo rides to group rides

Yes.

and why?

Fewer people.
Old 03-08-21, 07:04 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I prefer group rides. When I opened this tread I was not prepared for how unusual an opinion that would be on this forum.

I got into cycling because there was a cycling club in my school and we would go on day-long rides, and week-long summer trips.
I fell away from cycling in my 20s because it was easier to find a rugby club than a group ride; I still cycled to training and games (and work) as much as possible, and would go on solo rides from time to time, but most of my sporting effort in that time was put into the rugby club.
In my 30s, I got into a work group ride, and a local Saturday group ride, and I still from time to time meet up with people from those groups.

I've always been happy to do solo rides, but the social aspect of cycling has always been an important part of the sport to me. Part of that must surely be that I enjoy talking about the technical side of the sport, and where better to talk about that than on a group bike ride? If you can't talk about bikes on a bike ride, your only other outlet for that is to argue about disc brakes and tire widths with strangers on the internet.

Like with every other athletic endeavour, I've been on group rides where I wasn't strong enough to keep up. On other (much fewer) occasions, I've been on group rides where I had to wait for the rest of the group. I don't mind either of these situations; the former makes me stronger, the latter makes those I'm with stronger and ultimately all of us will be better prepared to ride together next time, and the only question when I decide whether I want to ride with that group again is did I enjoy their company?

The most important part of group rides is remembering that the group ride is not all about you riding along at the exact pace you want to go.
Old 03-08-21, 07:52 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts

Do you prefer solo rides to group rides

No.

and why?

More people.
Old 03-08-21, 08:05 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyx
Does anyone out there prefer solo rides, and avoids group rides. Why do you have that preference?
i love riding solo. It’s my alone time, kinda like meditation for me. Plus I don’t like talking and riding as I use this time to push my body to get a really good cardio workout.

Last edited by jay4usc; 03-08-21 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-08-21, 08:29 PM
Thelongwayhome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So low

I ride solo

dont get me wrong, I love how a group ride can push me to go faster and harder than I might on some solos.

I personally just prefer solo.
I like the solitude and freedom and adventure of being way out there with no lifeline.
I like getting lost
i like having a mechanical and being forced to walk 10 miles home or if it’s too far back home trying to find another way out of the mess I’d gotten myself into
i like alone

And...nothing personal....But I don’t want to belong to a “club”
I may be alone in this opinion, but I don’t choose my friends based on cycling
id rather choose them based on a deeper and more meaningful connection.
(and yet, here I am on a bike forum, yes I understand the implications)
ive had some great friends who ride....but I’ve also met a lot of not so great people who ride
and I don’t want to risk being stuck in a group with the latter.

I like alone
Old 03-08-21, 08:30 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Most of my rides are solo. I do a Monday group ride (pre-Covid) during the late spring to early Fall. I enjoy both riding in a group and solo.
Old 03-08-21, 09:56 PM
Horgan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone out there prefer solo rides, and avoids group rides. Why do you have that preference?
I prefer solo rides as I now ride to see, stop, and admire my surroundings. Like I don't hike anymore, I saunter. Take it all in. But nothing wrong with riding with friends. As long as you are riding!
Old 03-08-21, 10:17 PM
sleuth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SOLO: always and forever.
Old 03-09-21, 07:28 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I prefer group rides if someone else is organizing it. I've organized my share of group rides, but sometimes I just feel like showing up without thinking about it.
Old 03-09-21, 11:44 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Too often group rides that say they are a no drop ride turns out dropping one or two slower riders. I always drop back and ride with them. BTW it is a good way to make new friends.
Old 03-09-21, 11:57 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I appreciate the rides where the unspoken rules are to be self-sufficient (food, water, flats and mechanicals) and to know your way home. Obviously if there's a crash, the group will stop, but if it's just people getting dropped.... well, thanks for coming out, we'll see you next week. No hard feelings.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-09-21, 12:53 PM
siclmn

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
The worst rides out there are with bicycle clubs which are corporations. Namely one in Seattle Washington . You start out by standing there while the leader talks for 10 to 15 minutes. Nobody listens or cares but you have to take it because it's part of the regime. Then you must listen to him spout off instructions from the front during the whole ride. Nobody can hear him and there will be a loud mouthed person in the rear of the group for the whole ride yelling out instructions for the whole ride too. Nobody says anything because it is how it is done. They are controlling the group and they are getting off on it. It is the high point of their life. They call out every car back and slight irregularity in the road for hours. It is non stop verbal diarrhea. I would rather bang my head against a tree.
What I do is ride with a small group of friends. We can talk and just an occasional "car back" and no instructing us how to ride.
Old 03-09-21, 02:45 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by siclmn
The worst rides out there are with bicycle clubs which are corporations. Namely one in Seattle Washington . You start out by standing there while the leader talks for 10 to 15 minutes. Nobody listens or cares but you have to take it because it's part of the regime. Then you must listen to him spout off instructions from the front during the whole ride. Nobody can hear him and there will be a loud mouthed person in the rear of the group for the whole ride yelling out instructions for the whole ride too. Nobody says anything because it is how it is done. They are controlling the group and they are getting off on it. It is the high point of their life. They call out every car back and slight irregularity in the road for hours. It is non stop verbal diarrhea. I would rather bang my head against a tree.
What I do is ride with a small group of friends. We can talk and just an occasional "car back" and no instructing us how to ride.
I think that there is a very strong possibility that I may have rode with this group at times although I am a member of no bicycle clubs in Washington state. Yes, I have experienced this type of group dynamics but each group ride is different depending on the people present. The general ride leader instructions at the beginning are pretty much as stated. After that, on the ride, is where it differs depending on the group. The yelling of "car back" starts off but after awhile into the ride people are tired and there is less "car back" being spouted. I have noticed that if it is a small group and most of them are "regulars" they whip through the opening comments pretty d@mn fast and then go ride.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 03-09-21, 06:58 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Like W.C. Fields and alcohol, I only ride when I'm alone or with someone.
Old 03-09-21, 08:15 PM
FSOG Rich

Bikes: 1974 Peugeot UO-8, Litespeed Tuscany, 1974 Raleigh Tourist, Trek Town bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
mostly solo. Main reason is that I'm too slow for most "serious" groups and too fast for most "recreational" groups.
Likes For FSOG Rich:
Old 03-10-21, 09:55 AM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Solo outside - I predominately do two hour rides where I leave from my house with timing driven by weather, traffic and how I feel. I like to set my own pace and effort and also feel riding in groups requires keeping track of more variables than solo. I'm also more of an introvert.

Solo, group and racing inside when the weather and timing drive the decision - if Zwift counts
Likes For Steeler_fanatic:
Old 03-10-21, 10:09 AM
RodJB

Bikes: 1994 TEAM MARIN - 1995 MARIN ELDRIDGE GRADE

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like company on a ride but 99% of the time I'm solo. I wouldn't like a group ride where everyone is drafting the person in front, I wouldn't be comfortable riding so close or having someone so close behind me.
Old 03-10-21, 10:27 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Group riding is tricky. I only ride in road groups that I know well. I only ride with people with similar experience levels, similar fitness and similar respect for the rules when compared to me. I'm very picky about who I like to ride with as I've learned some hard lessons. I generally like well organized groups of experienced cyclists (usually masters racers or ex-racers) who ride fast and like to attack each other. I only ride with people who know how to ride a tight paceline, know not to let gaps open and work hard to not get dropped. I like rides that challenge me and I like fellow riders that challenge me. I don't like to ride with groups that are too "recreational" as I get itchy and bored. I have nothing against those groups at all, it's just not for me. I generally like to stick to well-known routes on the road in groups where I know everyone knows where to go, where the potholes are and when to be cautious.

I'm a member of two large local groups that are both very active, I've been riding with most guys in those groups for a decade or so. We generally don't let new riders join these groups unless someone we trust vouches for the new person. Some local groups I actively avoid as I've ridden with them and not liked the rides. I like riding on the road alone, but I definitely feel a little exposed when I do so. I ride on the excellent gravel path networks here in northern Illinois alone all the time and I ride singletrack alone all the time.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 03-10-21, 10:49 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
Originally Posted by RodJB
I like company on a ride but 99% of the time I'm solo. I wouldn't like a group ride where everyone is drafting the person in front, I wouldn't be comfortable riding so close or having someone so close behind me.
To me, being in a tight pack where you are moving down the road faster, with less effort, than you can by yourself is one of the magical experiences of cycling.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-10-21 at 12:20 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-10-21, 11:40 AM
RodJB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To me, being in a tight pack where you are moving down the road faster, with less effort, than you can by yourself is on of the magical experiences of cycling.
To be honest, I've never rode in a tight pack as I've never felt comfortable in that situation. However, I do like company on a ride & prefer someone with similar abilities so they're not holding me back. I like to try to hold as good a pace as I can maintain & don't like to feel I'm holding anyone else back.
Old 03-10-21, 11:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
To be honest, I've never rode in a tight pack as I've never felt comfortable in that situation. However, I do like company on a ride & prefer someone with similar abilities so they're not holding me back. I like to try to hold as good a pace as I can maintain & don't like to feel I'm holding anyone else back.
That's another nice thing about a tight pack: the draft allows people in the same neighborhood of fitness to work together - you don't need to be perfectly matched. If you're not quite as strong as some of the others, you take a shorter pull up front, but you still contribute and you still benefit.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-10-21, 11:50 AM
RodJB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's another nice thing about a tight pack: the draft allows people in the same neighborhood of fitness to work together - you don't need to be perfectly matched. If you're not quite as strong as some of the others, you take a shorter pull up front, but you still contribute and you still benefit.
A friend I used to ride with a lot has progressed to group rides and loves it. We haven't been on a ride for a long time... Maybe once I get my bike tuned up and get back in better form, I'll maybe try it...
Old 03-10-21, 12:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
There is a skillset to pack riding, and some basic rules/guidelines for the safety of yourself and others, but these are all things that can be learned and developed with experience.

If I'm riding with a friend or three, I agree that everyone being of fairly similar level is preferred. We might ride fairly hard at times, but it's mostly social, and good for endurance base miles. However, nothing boosts my fitness like fast group rides that stretch my limits and push me out of my comfort zone. Sometimes that means I'm suffering like crazy just to find a place to hide out of the wind. These are rides that demand that you have competent pack skills, and don't stop to wait when some gets mercilessly ejected from the rear of the group.
Old 03-11-21, 10:01 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
My favourite rides are on my Single Speeds and Solo. I ride where I want and at whatever pace that allows me to enjoy the "scenery".....
Single speed is pretty much my favorite kind of ride, and I do like to ride as alone as well. Talking mountain bike as here (although I commute on a single speed).

My usual riding partner is my wife, who also single speeds. I got into it first and after a few years I built her a nice one. Eventually she became a real single speeder. She's a monster now. Amazes me.

We did a 30 mile 3800' ride today on single speed and single track.

I do prefer riding alone, but it doesn't happen as frequently as I would expect.

One thing I don't like about groups is all the dust that gets kicked up and inhaled. If you night ride you can really see it. Maybe it's just me, but even before the pandemic I didn't like getting in the slipstream of others, but I tolerate it. For example, a sweaty person expectorating and blowing their nose out front.

In high school I hated wrestling, even though I was good at it, because I don't like grappling with strange sweaty dudes.

But yeah, the solitude is precious on a solo ride. It doesn't have epiphanies or PRs usually, but it can happen.

It's just nice to sort of not think about anything and take time off. There's so much stuff going in life and working and cohabitation that a solo ride is what I crave sometimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.