Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

20" tire with similar performance to Paselas?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

20" tire with similar performance to Paselas?

Old 05-05-22, 10:49 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by seat_boy
No idea these even came in 451... mine are 406. I think small wheels need bigger tires, so I don't see much use for 451.

Well, there she be...

https://www.internet-bikes.com/en/19...-1-3-8-37-451/
Old 05-05-22, 10:59 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Originally Posted by seat_boy
No idea these even came in 451... mine are 406. I think small wheels need bigger tires, so I don't see much use for 451.

Well, there she be...

https://www.treefortbikes.com/Tioga-...g-Tire-451-ISO
Old 05-05-22, 01:35 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
The Greenspeed Scorcher are among the fastest tires available in ETRTO406 (and also ETRTO349).

They were developed for racing trike by Greenspeed for their race trike which has ETRTO349 and ETRTO406 wheels.

The Scorcher Kevlar version is the one with a good puncture protection. The Scorcher 120 is the fastest one and even this one has a decent puncture protection that I would rate similar to the one of the Kojak but its a much faster tire and has a rubber that last much longer.

Compared to the Continental Contact Urban, the Scorcher Kevlar is probably faster (I never tried the Scorcher Kevlar, I used the Scorcher 120 which is much faster), has probably a lower puncture protection and is much more expensive.
I guess I'm having a hard time believing that a tire that was developed in 2006ish can compete with tires in product lines that have seen continual development and technological advances.
Old 05-05-22, 03:45 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
The Greenspeed Scorcher 120 is from 2016

Old 05-05-22, 05:42 PM
willydstyle

I'm seeing a lot of poorly labeled and unitless columns here. What are the pertinent numbers and what are their units?
Old 05-06-22, 10:53 AM
unikid

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
These were recommended by somebody on recumbent bike forums:

https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/...onversion-pro/
https://shop.kendatire.com/Konversion-p/212484.htm

Looks like they make a Standard (60 tpi) and a Pro (120 tpi) version.
Old 05-06-22, 04:49 PM
willydstyle

Originally Posted by unikid
These were recommended by somebody on recumbent bike forums:

https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/...onversion-pro/
https://shop.kendatire.com/Konversion-p/212484.htm

Looks like they make a Standard (60 tpi) and a Pro (120 tpi) version.
Interesting. I usually don't even consider Kendas because I consider them to be a cheap brand, but those look potentially decent.
Old 05-06-22, 05:08 PM
joey buzzard

Originally Posted by willydstyle
Interesting. I usually don't even consider Kendas because I consider them to be a cheap brand, but those look potentially decent.

My Swift originally came with Kenda Kwests. I was surprised how well they rolled. They felt quite fast Puncture protection seemed ok (not outstanding, but not bad either). They didn't last forever and ever, but the again they were cheap to replace.
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 05-08-22, 06:53 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
In your thread that has photos of the bicycle, I can see that you probably have room for 50mm tires. If that observation is correct, I wouldn't even bother with the 37-45 width range. Schwalbe Big Apples are easy enough to obtain in the US and are a great tire for the 406 wheel.
Old 05-08-22, 07:45 PM
willydstyle

Originally Posted by Nyah
In your thread that has photos of the bicycle, I can see that you probably have room for 50mm tires. If that observation is correct, I wouldn't even bother with the 37-45 width range. Schwalbe Big Apples are easy enough to obtain in the US and are a great tire for the 406 wheel.
The rear fender has room for 50mm tires, but it's not really *wide* enough to fully cover a 50mm. The front fender is a lot tighter. That beings said it would be possible, though more work than most bikes, to fit some fatter fenders on this thing.
Old 10-18-22, 07:04 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I really like some of their mountain bike tires.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 10-18-22, 04:38 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 333 Posts
Don't knock a product because of its price. Knock it because of its quality. Kenda's are usually great value. I'm be ridden then for years without problems.

Don't know the answer to your original question, but I have answered it for myself. My answer was the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 42-406. I stocked up with four pairs before it was discontinued a few years back.
Old 10-18-22, 04:45 PM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by joey buzzard
My Swift originally came with Kenda Kwests. I was surprised how well they rolled. They felt quite fast Puncture protection seemed ok (not outstanding, but not bad either). They didn't last forever and ever, but the again they were cheap to replace.
I rode my 305er with Kenda KWest for four years, even toured with it. A very decent tire, tbh. When you factor in the price (I paid something like $3.50 cuz they are made in the island next door), they are true scorchers. I only changed then recently for yet another Kenda tire, the Kontact.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 06-25-23 at 08:02 AM.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 10-18-22, 04:49 PM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by Nyah
Big Apple killers: Maxxis Grifter 53-406 😉

Last edited by Ron Damon; 10-18-22 at 05:07 PM.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 10-18-22, 11:21 PM
kwantani

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
https://www.modernbike.com/panaracer-pasela-20-x-1.5-wire-bead-tire-black

Last edited by kwantani; 10-18-22 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-19-22, 03:26 PM
Jipe

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Its a low end BMX freestyle tire, not a road tire not comparable with the Big Apple !
Old 10-19-22, 06:36 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Its a low end BMX freestyle tire, not a road tire not comparable with the Big Apple !
Unfortunately, here in the good ole' US of A, it's about the same price as the Big Apple (at least on Amazon). Apparently, it's supposed to be just as good, if its high sticker cost is an indication. It definitely doesn't have the same lasting durability as a Big Apple. It is a high volume, smooth roller though (if reviews are accurate).
Old 10-20-22, 02:55 AM
Ron Damon

You, of course, would not know. But anyone who's owned it, ridden it and seen & felt the construction, you know, folks with real practical experience with it, would know different. It's actually a very well constructed tire made in Taiwan. And it ain't exactly cheap. Take it from me, one who's actually ridden both the Big Apples and these Grifters. Unlike you.
Old 10-20-22, 03:08 AM
Jipe

Originally Posted by tds101
Unfortunately, here in the good ole' US of A, it's about the same price as the Big Apple (at least on Amazon). Apparently, it's supposed to be just as good, if its high sticker cost is an indication. It definitely doesn't have the same lasting durability as a Big Apple. It is a high volume, smooth roller though (if reviews are accurate).
There are several versions of the Grifter with very different constructions, high end version are folding tires and have sophisticated construction, the tan wall is the low end one and the cheapest too (at least in Europe and US).

Anyway, all Grifter's are BMX tires not made for road cycling, Schwalbe offer the Billy Bonkers for BMX use.
Old 10-20-22, 03:43 AM
Ron Damon

There are several versions of the Grifter with very different constructions, high end version are folding tires and have sophisticated construction, the tan wall is the low end one and the cheapest too (at least in Europe and US).

Anyway, all Grifter's are BMX tires not made for road cycling, Schwalbe offer the Billy Bonkers for BMX use.
Mine is Kevlar folding, in fact. And I deliberately choose it for its 60tpi and tan wall.

Billy Bonkers? Yeah we got that here too. We've got most everything, including the Brompton exclusive 35-349 Marathon Racer. 🤣😂 I actually eschewed the BBonkers in favor of the Grifters for the latter's much closer spacing of the knobs and smoother, slicker contact patch, and marginally bigger size.

The other piece of this, of course, is that some of us don't live captive to marketing labels and manufacturer segmentation. We actually buy and use the stuff, rather than pontificating from the couch about tires we have never used.

In any case, this is yet another case of Sour Grapes since neither your Birdy nor your Brompton can fit this tire. Let's keep it real, man.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 10-20-22 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-20-22, 03:46 AM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by tds101
Ironically the tire that is perceived to be superior is made in Indonesia in Schwalbe's factory on Java. 😉
Old 10-20-22, 04:24 AM
Jipe

Originally Posted by Maxxis
Category: BMX

Recommended use: Freestyle

Recommended installation: Front or Rear
You surely know better than the manufacturer what the tire is made for!
Old 10-20-22, 07:03 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts

You don't say,... I do my research before I comment (most of the time )

Ironically the tire that is perceived to be superior is made in Indonesia in Schwalbe's factory on Java. 😉
Country of origin, unlike some people, is irrelevant to me. Pricing and quality are my 2 main concerns. Still, solid tires nonetheless.
Old 10-20-22, 09:48 AM
Jipe

The pictures you show confirm what I said: there are higher end versions of the Grifter folding and with more sophisticated construction. These have black wall (at least in US and EU).

And they are BMX Freestyle tires: they are in the freestyle parts/tires category on the Danscomp.com website.

Last point, the question of this subject was "20" tire with similar performance to Paselas?": such wide BMX tires have nothing similar to Panaracer Pasela tires !
Old 10-22-22, 10:33 PM
Ron Damon

This is the ticket...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.