Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot PX-10(?) crank question

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Peugeot PX-10(?) crank question

Old 11-26-22, 08:25 AM
gdgross

Bikes: Peugeot PR-10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Ok, well it sounds like none of this should be surprising and maybe the problems we usually see with these were encountered years ago, some by you and may have been at least partially if not mostly mitigated at the time.

That being said it also sounds like some of the fallout is revisiting now and you are managing to wrangle it yet again.

We really like to dig into this exact thing as you can tell but we usually need more blow by blow to keep up.

it would have been nice to have these gory details going in as we could have dispensed with our standard tack that usually applies 90% of the time.

Glad you seem to have gotten the best of it again and hope it gets you down the road.
Hah, yeah sorry. I'm sort of remembering some of this as I go as well! Appreciate you guys' help, it's really been amazing TBH.
Likes For gdgross:
Old 11-26-22, 08:30 AM
gdgross

Originally Posted by Classtime
The pedal came off the non drive side (left) crank arm because it is modern and compatible with your pedals. The drive side original crank arm is likely French and the pedal you forced on did not have matching threads. Also that replaced crank arm does not match the spindle axle thing and goes on too far. Stick with it. We learn as we go. A PX-10 is a nice place to start. You will have a very nice rider eventually.
link to other thread with a picture: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...d-pueugot.html
Haha, that's my bike in the other thread - (and I misremembered the model #, sounds like a PR-10, not a PX-10). That was the beginning of the year I rode to work 3x per week. Did it for about a year, now down to 1x per week with school dropoffs and scheduling, but still riding this lovely old Peugeot!

Thanks for the info on the pedal, hope I won't have to replace the whole crank arm/sprocket assembly. :-)
Old 11-26-22, 11:52 AM
gdgross

Well, the oven trick worked. I soaked the assembly for an hour at 200F, and it was still reeeeally tight but the old pedal came off ok.

It's interesting. Nothing is cross-threaded or stripped, but it is just really really tight. To the point where I'm slightly nervous about putting the new pedal in- it feels just as tight. Don't want to damage anything, but I guess I got the old one in there without hurting anything...
Old 11-26-22, 01:09 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
You might chase the pedal arm threads with a tap.
Old 11-26-22, 03:18 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by gdgross
Well, the oven trick worked. I soaked the assembly for an hour at 200F, and it was still reeeeally tight but the old pedal came off ok.

It's interesting. Nothing is cross-threaded or stripped, but it is just really really tight. To the point where I'm slightly nervous about putting the new pedal in- it feels just as tight. Don't want to damage anything, but I guess I got the old one in there without hurting anything...
You can make a thread chaser out of a scrap pedal spindle if you strip it out of the pedal and cut/file some slots in it, just make sure it matches the pedal you are going to use and proceed with caution if the crank is hard to chase.

I use anti seize for chasing.

You can use a small triangle file or a small cutoff wheel in a Dremel or the like to cut the slots, spindles are hard so a file is harder to do.

Clamp the spindle in a vise and carefully get the crank started squarely and have at it, one step forward, 2 steps back , don't rush and Bobs your uncle.

Old 11-26-22, 05:07 PM
gdgross

You can make a thread chaser out of a scrap pedal spindle if you strip it out of the pedal and cut/file some slots in it, just make sure it matches the pedal you are going to use and proceed with caution if the crank is hard to chase.

I use anti seize for chasing.

You can use a small triangle file or a small cutoff wheel in a Dremel or the like to cut the slots, spindles are hard so a file is harder to do.

Clamp the spindle in a vise and carefully get the crank started squarely and have at it, one step forward, 2 steps back , don't rush and Bobs your uncle.

oooh, cool idea! make your own tap basically. I'll give that a try, I'm was just going to toss these old pedals, so I may as well use those!
Old 11-26-22, 05:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

oooh, cool idea! make your own tap basically. I'll give that a try, I'm was just going to toss these old pedals, so I may as well use those!
Yep, but not a tap, chaser, big difference, they can work to change from French to standard but its tricky and in any case can be a challenge to keep get it started square and sometimes keep it so.

Remember, 1 step forward, 2 steps back or it can get off track.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-22-22, 11:31 AM
gdgross

Yep, but not a tap, chaser, big difference, they can work to change from French to standard but its tricky and in any case can be a challenge to keep get it started square and sometimes keep it so.

Remember, 1 step forward, 2 steps back or it can get off track.
Wow, guess I never followed up back here. Sorry about that.

Really appreciate everyone's help. I did this very thing, creating a thread chaser out of the old pedal and clearing out the threads for the new pedal. Worked like a charm. Thanks for that clever idea!

Had my first commute on the bike since all of this work this morning (been a busy month!) The mechanism crank is sooo much better and quieter. Hard to believe I've been riding the old way for so many years.

Now I just need to get used to those clip in pedals - at one stop this morning I had trouble getting my foot out of the clip and toppled right over :-D
Likes For gdgross:
Old 12-22-22, 12:11 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 846 Posts
If you're ever needing to apply big torque to one of the old, 38mm, eight-sided Stronglight fixed cups, know that a 1-1/2" twelve-point socket works really well in conjunction with a 1/2" breaker bar.

This got a stuck cup out of a fine 1950's Cattaneo-built, private-label Urago frame not too long ago.
Such sockets are often hoarded at pawn shops in their big buckets of sockets, might cost only a few dollars like mine did.
Be sure to reduce any deep bevel at the socket's 12-point opening, grind it flat if you can.

Likes For dddd:
Old 12-22-22, 01:08 PM
merziac

Wow, guess I never followed up back here. Sorry about that.

Really appreciate everyone's help. I did this very thing, creating a thread chaser out of the old pedal and clearing out the threads for the new pedal. Worked like a charm. Thanks for that clever idea!

Had my first commute on the bike since all of this work this morning (been a busy month!) The mechanism crank is sooo much better and quieter. Hard to believe I've been riding the old way for so many years.

Now I just need to get used to those clip in pedals - at one stop this morning I had trouble getting my foot out of the clip and toppled right over :-D
No worries, we get that a lot.

Glad it worked out and you're on the road.

Loosen the release on the clips just a bit till you get the hang of it, when you start clipping out more than struggling, tighten them back up.

AND, pics or it didn't happen.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-22-22, 01:36 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
On the off chance OP is using clipless pedals, same advice except set the release to minimum until you get the hang of it.
Likes For markk900:
Old 12-22-22, 06:23 PM
gdgross

AND, pics or it didn't happen.

Likes For gdgross:
Old 12-23-22, 06:54 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 745 Posts
Once you get the hang of clipless you won't go back to clips & straps!

What's the story with the NDS crank arm....?
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 12-23-22, 10:42 PM
gdgross

Sorry for my ignorance, whats NDS?
Old 12-23-22, 11:14 PM
merziac

Sorry for my ignorance, whats NDS?
Non Drive Side
Old 12-23-22, 11:30 PM
gdgross

Ah, gotcha. Lolbut

It's likely that I replaced that crank arm myself, but honestly, I don't remember why or when; I've had the bike for 20 years or so, although only in the last few am I riding more and getting it cleaned up and running better.

(Before that it was my dad's and I doubt he remembers if/why he replaced it either haha.)
Likes For gdgross: