Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixed gear appearing at the park again!

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-21, 04:11 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts

I'm not going to conclude this indicates a trend, just one encouraging instance.

Yesterday during my interval workout at a city park, I encountered one other guy on a fixed gear. Couldn't tell what kind it was, but something pretty nice. He was fast, too! I couldn't catch him. Of course, he did maybe three or four laps and then bailed--I'm gonna say he was a sissy sprinter with no stamina. I did eleven vigorous laps. Of course, I don't know how far he rode to and from home.

I also met up with a guy on a geared something from All City, I think it was a Cosmic Stallion. We rode and talked for a little while. He was likewise pretty strong. He said he has a Big Block at home and wished he'd brought it, upon seeing there were other fixie foos about. I've been riding there for years and very rarely see another FG or SS. On a typical day I'll see anywhere from four or five to maybe twenty other bikes (plus dozens of pedestrians, many in the bike lane... grrr!) Lately, there have been LOTS of e-bikes. Yesterday it was encouraging to spot one other (almost two) riding fixed.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-20-21, 04:44 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
I was riding the Gainesville to Hawthorne trail in north Fl, heading to Gainesville (a hipster city) and saw one (one) other SS bike in 30 semi urban miles..where is everyone? I know its hot but come on people

Gainesville is where I bought my Wabi
Old 08-20-21, 09:09 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by bykemike
I was riding the Gainesville to Hawthorne trail in north Fl, heading to Gainesville (a hipster city) and saw one (one) other SS bike in 30 semi urban miles..where is everyone? I know its hot but come on people

Gainesville is where I bought my Wabi
Everyone else needed rear derailleurs for the massive elevation changes around there.
Old 08-20-21, 09:49 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I think it depends a lot on where you are, as well.
They’re pretty plentiful around NYC.
Old 08-23-21, 05:30 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
I think it depends a lot on where you are, as well.
They’re pretty plentiful around NYC.
You mean in one of the great bike courier meccas, where the fixie is bike of choice for couriers? There's a lot of F150s here, where they're built.

Naw, but seriously; only the die hards are still riding fixies after the craze died out. Most people sold them off, or stuck them in the closet with other passing fads, like those Kanye shutter glasses, SecondLife account, and their dalmation corpse. Geography might play in it, too.