Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Varia RTL515 and Edge 130 Plus Compatibility?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-22, 04:09 PM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

I've been using my Garmin Varia RTL515 Radar with the Varia app on my iPhone. While the audio warnings work fine, the iPhone's screen in bright sunlight is absolutely useless. So, I'm considering purchasing a compatible bike computer that works with the Varia and has a clear, readable screen in bright sunlight. It seems that the Garmin Edge 130 Plus might fit the bill. Has anyone used this combination? If so, how clear is the 130 Plus's screen in sunlight?

While the 130 Plus might work for me, I actually don't need its GPS function. Just a device which shows trip odometer, time, speed, average speed, and has Varia compatibility (with an easy-to-read screen), would suffice. Is there a device that meets these requirements at a better price than the 130 Plus (which sells for approx $200)?

Thanks!
Bert
Old 05-20-22, 04:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I use a 130 (not plus) with a 510. It beeps, shows cars behind me, wakes the radar up and puts it to sleep. Visibility in bright sun is excellent.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-22-22, 11:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
You probably will have trouble finding anything that works with Varia Radar that doesn't already have a GPS. And very unlikely that you will find something that doesn't have a GPS that will give you trip odometer, time, speed, average speed as well as Varia Radar information.

If you are willing to pay $200, the Edge 130 is a decent choice.
Old 05-22-22, 11:16 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,793 Posts
Edit: REI coupon doesn't work for the Edge 130+ either. (I just checked).

Sorry.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 05-22-22 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-22-22, 12:52 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22584 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
I vote for the Garmin 130 or 130+, but another option is the Garmin Varia Display unit, it only shows radar data (no gps or speed info) but under $100. Google it.
Old 05-22-22, 02:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I vote for the Garmin 130 or 130+, but another option is the Garmin Varia Display unit, it only shows radar data (no gps or speed info) but under $100. Google it.
I vote 130 too. It's a great little computer. It's unobtrusive but does more than anyone really needs.

Here's the $100 option:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/582636
Old 05-22-22, 06:17 PM
newbert

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I vote 130 too. It's a great little computer. It's unobtrusive but does more than anyone really needs.

Here's the $100 option:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/582636
Darn - Too Late! I already ordered the 13o Plus.

Thanks, Guys!
Old 05-26-22, 12:03 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by newbert
Darn - Too Late! I already ordered the 13o Plus.

Thanks, Guys!
You won't be sorry. You get a lot more than twice the useful functionality.
Old 05-28-22, 12:33 PM
newbert

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
You won't be sorry. You get a lot more than twice the useful functionality.
Well, actually, I think that I am a bit sorry....

So far, the Edge 130+ is a bit disappointing TBH. Yes, the screen is indeed much more readable in sunlight than my iPhone's. And yes, it pairs with the Varia. Unfortunately those are the only plusses IMO. Although the screen is readable, it's MUCH too small. Worse yet, although it pairs with the Varia, the warning tone is W-A-Y too quiet. And its interface is clunky at best.

I know I can't increase the screen size, but is there any way to at least increase the volume?

And why is there an option to pair it with a phone? What phone functionality would be useful on the Edge? (It's way to quiet to hear a phone conversation or music.) Honestly, I see no positive reason to pair it with a phone .... but it wouldn't be the first time that I "just don't get it".

Maybe I'll get used to it, but right now it's a bit underwhelming.
Old 05-28-22, 12:49 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Pairing with your phone allows the Edge to display incoming texts or other notifications, and I also think it updates the weather display and probably a few other things that I don't make use of, so can't recall.

Sorry, I really thought (based on my use of the 130 for several years) that it would be ideal. The warning beep was always plenty loud for me. I don't recall a way to increase the volume (just looked, and there doesn't seem to be one).

Mine was mounted to my stem via the included rubber band mount. If you have an out-front mount, it might be harder to hear.

Link to anecdotal report on Garmin forum.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 05-28-22 at 01:00 PM. Reason: link added
Old 05-29-22, 10:25 AM
newbert

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Pairing with your phone allows the Edge to display incoming texts or other notifications, and I also think it updates the weather display and probably a few other things that I don't make use of, so can't recall.

Sorry, I really thought (based on my use of the 130 for several years) that it would be ideal. The warning beep was always plenty loud for me. I don't recall a way to increase the volume (just looked, and there doesn't seem to be one).

Mine was mounted to my stem via the included rubber band mount. If you have an out-front mount, it might be harder to hear.

Link to anecdotal report on Garmin forum.
Polaris - there's no need to apologize for recommending the 130+ for me. After today's ride (my second with the 130+) I need to walk back some of my comments. NOTE: Today, I did NOT use the Varia iPhone app at all today.)

First of all, the screen, while a bit small for my liking, is crystal clear in sunlight! That is a BIG PLUS IMO.) The Varia function on it only comes on screen when necessary (ie- a car approaches) and is also very clear. I still think that volume should be louder, but it does suffice. (I mount it using the 2 supplied rubber bands.)

Another thing I like is that it resets to a new ride (ie - resets to zero) automatically after Power is shut off. That said, powering it off is bit of a pain - requiring multiple button presses on really small buttons.

Overall, I'm pleased with the 130+ and don't regret my purchase. I think the Varia app on the iPhone is quite good for warning about traffic, but the trouble is the iPhone's screen in sunlight. The 130+ solves that problem quite well.

Bert
Likes For newbert:
Old 05-29-22, 11:10 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Do you have it mounted on the bars or the stem? If bars, try moving it to the stem to see if that improves the audibility.
Old 05-29-22, 12:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
I'd think that like all the other Garmin Edges, the Edge 130 pairs with your phone to interface with the Garmin App if you install it on your phone. The Garmin App is useful to for looking at your ride data and other metrics about yourself. Particularly if you also have another wearable like a Garmin watch of some sort that will give you step count, tell you when you are too anxious and need to calm down or maybe help look at your sleep patterns.

I virtually never review my rides on the Edge itself, but for times I'm not near a computer, I'll use the Garmin App or the RWGPS App on my phone to look at my rides.