Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Montague

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Schwinn Montague

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 12:29 AM
fatigoworld

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn Montague

Anyone own this bike or have ridden it? anything good or bad to say about it? I am looking for a steel folding bike with 26 inch wheels and this is all i can seem to find. I noticed one person said it was noodly but thats the only comment i could find on the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

also i am not worried about the components as i will likely replace them all but i am interested in how the frame itself can perform mostly on the road....
Old 11-08-07, 09:21 PM
pismocycleguy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All that I remember about this bike is that it was very heavy and the hinge below the bottom bracket really reduced road clearance.
Doesn't Breezer, Ritchey and Dahon have full size steel 26 inch tire folding bikes using S&S couplers?
PCG
Old 11-09-07, 12:53 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by pismocycleguy
All that I remember about this bike is that it was very heavy and the hinge below the bottom bracket really reduced road clearance.
Doesn't Breezer, Ritchey and Dahon have full size steel 26 inch tire folding bikes using S&S couplers?
PCG
The Schwinn-Montague BiFrame weighs 32.5 pounds, and the chainring extends below seat tube/down tube junction, so the ground clearance is limited by the chainring clearance, not the frame clearance. Chainring clearance is 7 inches.

I've been riding mine for fifteen years and don't believe the comment that the ride is noodly is typical. The only way this bike could be noodly is if the latching concentric seat tubes mechanism had somehow loosened.

Breakaway frames using S&S couplers are great, but they all take a while to break down and put back together.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Last edited by Scooper; 11-09-07 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 05:43 PM
pismocycleguy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To each his own! It is still too heavy.
PCG
Old 05-20-22, 01:46 AM
keyosuke

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought mine from an old guy who felt he had gotten too old to ride it. It rides as good as any other steel mountain bike I ever had, and folks up to fit in cars I could never fit the others in. There is nothing wrong with the steering. It feels like a bike that doesn't fold. It has no suspension, because of how old it is, but that's something you can change, if you desire. As to people saying it's too heavy: It's a steel bike, what do you expect? If you want a bike made of a different material, buy that bike. I prefer steel bikes and don't mine pulling their weight for the benefit of them not cracking like so many other alloys. I'm on my fifth bike as an adult, and it's my favorite one.

I'm aware this post is 15 years after the last reply. That makes no difference to me. Someone might find the review useful.
Likes For keyosuke:
Old 05-22-22, 07:01 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by keyosuke
I bought mine from an old guy who felt he had gotten too old to ride it. It rides as good as any other steel mountain bike I ever had, and folks up to fit in cars I could never fit the others in. There is nothing wrong with the steering. It feels like a bike that doesn't fold. It has no suspension, because of how old it is, but that's something you can change, if you desire. As to people saying it's too heavy: It's a steel bike, what do you expect? If you want a bike made of a different material, buy that bike. I prefer steel bikes and don't mine pulling their weight for the benefit of them not cracking like so many other alloys. I'm on my fifth bike as an adult, and it's my favorite one.

I'm aware this post is 15 years after the last reply. That makes no difference to me. Someone might find the review useful.
Wow! such and old post, but glad that you raised it from the dead.
Interesting bike option.
I did not know it existed.
Old 05-30-22, 02:09 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Is this a rebadged Fuji folder?
Old 05-30-22, 08:16 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
Is this a rebadged Fuji folder?
Apparently not, see this
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 06-01-22, 07:59 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Thanks from initial pic it looked similar, but the Montague pivots on the seat tube, and Fuji uses the seat tube to lock the fold.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/551198441881485066/