Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

More Bike Commuters?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

More Bike Commuters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 06:31 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
More Bike Commuters?

This year was the first year I started to bike commute to work, I've averaged 2 days a week since starting in May. Over the past month, I've noticed a lot more bikes and commuters along my route and part of me wonders is it that I am just more aware of them since I am one or am I really seeing an increase in riders. In the past years, along my driving route I would occasionally see one or two but on days I drive it seems I'm seeing more. Last week on my ride home in the first 1/2 mile before I get to my main MUP I had three riders in front of me and one behind me. On the 1 1/2 miles of a popular MUP I saw between 10 to 15 (not all commuters) when I normally only see maybe 5 or so.

Last Thursday my daughter was volunteering and the library so after dropping her off I decided to go for a walk and walked over to the MUP that I use for part of my commute. As I walked I couldn't help but notice the number of bicyclist out and at one location near a new restaurant that just opened, I counted 16 bikes locked up at the bike racks. Yesterday I had a business meeting at a coffee shop along the MUP and we sat outside the steady flow of bike riders in a 45 minute span was surprising. All of this was making me wonder if bike riding and bike commuting is really gaining in popularity.
Old 07-18-18, 06:44 AM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm starting to see a bit of an uptick as well. Say if you buy a care though, it feels like you see more of that car than you used to. i dont know if there's a name for that, but it seems that familiarity with anything increases an awareness to it.
Old 07-18-18, 09:29 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Probably just your awareness.

I have seen a huge uptick over time. 20 years ago I was the only one bike commuting around here. It really wasn't until 2004 - when gas prices suddenly went over $2/gallon, that I started to see a change.

Of course shortly after that cell phone usage really took off, and bike commuting safety went to ****e after that...
Old 07-18-18, 09:37 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I only see a few new regulars on my commute in the last few years. I'm not counting the "fair weather riders" in that. Mostly the folks that ride year round. But am glad that you started commuting last year, OP. Keep the smile up and the wheels down.
Old 07-18-18, 10:51 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Yes, I'm sure it is increasing in many or most areas.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-18-18, 11:21 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
More Bike Commuters?
Originally Posted by beachball42
This year was the first year I started to bike commute to work, I've averaged 2 days a week since starting in May. Over the past month, I've noticed a lot more bikes and commuters along my route and part of me wonders is it that I am just more aware of them since I am one or am I really seeing an increase in riders...

All of this was making me wonder if bike riding and bike commuting is really gaining in popularity.
FYA, in February of this year, there was a similar thread on the General Cycling Discussion Forum, “Is Cycling Growing Or Declining In Your Area (U.S.)?” .
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
From my experience as a commuter and weekend road cyclist, I would say it has increased in Metro Boston. More specifically, back in 2011, I was able to post about progress
…One of the big changes in the Boston cycling scene over the past couple years has been the interest that Mayor Menino has taken in bicycling, and he has appointed a bike czar, introduced several cycling lanes in those above-mentioned areas in the heart of the city, and instituted a bicycle sharing system, called “Hubway,” particularly centered in the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods.

(Boston is known, besides Beantown, as the Hub [of the Universe] )
and it continues today.
Old 07-18-18, 09:35 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
One of my co-workers approached me a month or so ago and started asking me about my commute. He indicated he liked to bicycle commute too but his house was too far. I suggested maybe he could drive and park somewhere and get on his bicycle for the rest of way. He has been riding to work one or 2 times a week since. He parks his car at one of those "Park and Ride" stations and rides last 10 miles on bike trails to work. I'd like to think that I have been a positive influence at my work place.
Old 07-19-18, 12:21 AM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Long Beach is supposed to be bike friendly, but I rarely see bike commuters on my routes from NE LB to the Signal Hill area. Occasionally I see someone on a purpose built bike. Sometimes a few times. But most days none at all. Near my office many people ride because they can’t afford to drive. When I started commuting by bike about 10 years ago, I would see several dozen on a typical day. Fortunately, the city is still adding facilities most of the time when repaving.
Old 07-19-18, 09:06 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
At least two things here. First, there has been an increase overall in bicycle commuting over the last several years. The increase has been very slight, but measurable to those in charge of measuring. Second, there is always a "fair weather" increase this time of year. The days are long and the weather is nice so people are encouraged to get outdoors and get a little exercise. When the weather turns this fall and the days start getting shorter, you'll have your chance to decide whether your bicycle commuting was part of the overall increase, or simply a "fair weather" up-tick. Either way, enjoy the ride.

-Kedosto
Old 07-19-18, 12:29 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
More Bike Commuters?FYA, in February of this year, there was a similar thread on the General Cycling Discussion Forum, “Is Cycling Growing Or Declining In Your Area (U.S.)?” .
On my side of Boston coming from Arlington, in many areas along my route the number of bikers is definitely generally increasing. In this nicer weather our numbers are seemingly reaching some sort of critical mass where the bikers may control the negotiations with the cars at points (multiple bikers taking over a lane at a stop light for instance). It's nice to see so many intelligent and attractive people on the road enjoying themselves, and chat with some every now and then along the way.
Old 07-19-18, 12:36 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
My area is very bike friendly and has long been. I think it’s flat here but it’s a very high flat. Which makes it a mesa, the highest form of flattery
Old 07-19-18, 04:45 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Our region is number 3 in the country and may have the fastest growing mode share.
https://wtop.com/local/2017/05/many-...prising-stats/

Last edited by PaulH; 07-19-18 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-19-18, 05:22 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Bike commuting is certainly gaining ground in Madison WI, perhaps not coincidentally, rush hour car traffic keeps getting worse and worse, and many of the bike routes bypass the worst of the car routes.
Old 07-20-18, 08:20 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
Our region is number 3 in the country and may have the fastest growing mode share.
https://wtop.com/local/2017/05/many-...prising-stats/
I can't believe Minneapolis is so high, with its climate. Boy, people there are hardy. I love that expression I learned on Prairie Home Companion: There's no bad weather, only bad clothing. I want to visit the Twin Cities one day. The trouble is, my wife wouldn't be willing to go with me if we go in the winter.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-20-18, 11:02 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Good show by DC. As I was gliding home one day on my evening commute, my neighbor drove in and we struck up a conversation about my commute. He told me how he bought a 10-speed when he got his first job in DC some decades ago, tried going out once, and then was too terrified by crazy car traffic to ever ride there again.

They opened up a bridge trail across Lake Washington last December that vastly improved (i.e., doubled the number of) connections between Seattle and the east side 'burbs. I bought a road bike a month later and started commuting at least twice a week. Some days, there are quite a few cyclists going over the bridge. I go eastward in the morning and the bridge counter shows 400-500 crossings already for the day. I have to imagine a lot of the riders weren't able to do the commute before the trail opened, because the other crossing is significantly further south, and the only way to get across before the new trail opened was to get on a bus going over the bridge.
Old 07-20-18, 11:11 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I don't know where we fit in the rankings, I know that my City has over 200 miles of MUP's and I've seen some stats that say the user mix is 60/40 bicyclist to pedestrians. I use the MUP's but I also see people who prefer the roads. I am more of a "fair weather" commuter and I know that there are more people on nicer days. With the investment in the MUP's I do see more users of the trails but I certainly am more aware of just how many riders I am seeing. Plus, with some of the new restaurants along one stretch of the Monon, the number of bikes parked outside is noticeably growing.
Old 07-20-18, 12:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
It's nice to see so many intelligent and attractive people on the road enjoying themselves, and chat with some every now and then along the way.
Interesting description of the people you like to see riding bikes. Do you care to expound on what are the characteristics that make some bicyclists appear to be "intelligent and attractive"?
Old 07-20-18, 01:06 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
My area is very bike friendly and has long been. I think it’s flat here but it’s a very high flat. Which makes it a mesa, the highest form of flattery
240 ft altitude is high? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangevale,_California) Well, at least it beats my town which is only 174 ft above sea level (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomfield,_New_Jersey). What an ugly building that Frank M Leo one is on the page. If you saw what was there back in the early 1900's, you would also ask why it was demolished. Actually here's a big picture of what it was back in 1906: https://www.firstbaptistbloomfield.org/oldcenter.htm Those were the days...

Last edited by ptempel; 07-20-18 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-20-18, 01:13 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Interesting description of the people you like to see riding bikes. Do you care to expound on what are the characteristics that make some bicyclists appear to be "intelligent and attractive"?
Aren't regular bike commuters intelligent and attractive by definition?
Old 07-21-18, 08:17 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
On my side of Boston coming from Arlington, in many areas along my route the number of bikers is definitely generally increasing. In this nicer weather our numbers are seemingly reaching some sort of critical mass where the bikers may control the negotiations with the cars at points (multiple bikers taking over a lane at a stop light for instance).

It's nice to see so many intelligent and attractive people on the road enjoying themselves, and chat with some every now and then along the way.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Aren't regular bike commuters intelligent and attractive by definition?
…(Boston is known, besides Beantown, as the Hub [of the Universe] )
Sample bias.
BTW, I don’t list my location under my avatar, but it is “D’uh” [in Kenmore Square].

Jim from Boston
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Whenever I see a series of nested quotes, I think "it's Jim from 'Duh' again."
Old 07-21-18, 01:04 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
240 ft altitude is high? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangevale,_California) Well, at least it beats my town which is only 174 ft above sea level (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomfield,_New_Jersey). What an ugly building that Frank M Leo one is on the page. If you saw what was there back in the early 1900's, you would also ask why it was demolished. Actually here's a big picture of what it was back in 1906: Bloomfield Center New Jersey History Photos - FBC Those were the days...
On my commute I pass Murray Field, elevation 5 feet.

ETA: It's hard to say whether there are more bike commuters; evidently 6:30 am is early for most. I have run across an occasional cyclist, but I'm riding between towns. We don't have a lot of trails to make it more pleasant, and the roads and drivers here are equally horrifying, but we do have the Humboldt Bay Bicycle Commuter's Association, so there are some.

Last edited by Korina; 07-21-18 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-21-18, 11:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
240 ft altitude is high?
Level as in not growing, ya goof. I should update that, we moved to Folsom three weeks ago
Old 07-23-18, 05:07 PM
ptempel

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

Level as in not growing, ya goof. I should update that, we moved to Folsom three weeks ago
Aaaaah, ok. As long as you're not an obligatory guest at the free iron hotel, then all is good.

I took off today and was not feeling like riding in the rain this morning. I probably should have since it dried up and was fine in the afternoon albeit a bit humid. Wednesday is supposed to be even wetter. Will see,,,
Old 07-23-18, 08:16 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
To OP, count me in. I started two years ago after driving to work for the previous 28 years. In my department, three more started to ride to work on occasion since then. One even bought a new bike to ride to work more often. Roads are getting more bike friendly in the last few years and it's starting to show.
Old 07-23-18, 11:12 PM
Day6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your increased awareness is probably getting you to now notice cyclists who've always been there, but I think overall there is an increase in bike commuting. Here in West Texas, bicycles seem to be thought of as children's toys or the last resort of the near homeless for transportation over the 30 years I've been commuting off and on. But lately, I'm not only seeing more commuters, but they are also more seriously outfitted: branded bikes, helmets, panniers, etc. It's been encouraging to see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.