Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-22, 03:37 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 646 Posts
I pulled this out of the rafters this morning. I put it away when Thomas quit riding his trailer bike behind it, about ten years ago.

Well, he's finally grown into it. I put some streetish tires on it so he can meet up with his friends at the park.

92? MB-1
Old 03-25-22, 07:37 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
I pulled this out of the rafters this morning. I put it away when Thomas quit riding his trailer bike behind it, about ten years ago.

Well, he's finally grown into it. I put some streetish tires on it so he can meet up with his friends at the park.92? MB-1
My son took his 1986 MB-2 to college for five years. Amazingly, it did not get stolen, although it is a little weather beaten. He didn't want to take it to his new job, so I can use it as a blank canvas to play with.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 03-25-22, 10:30 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 541 Posts
Performance MTB

I posted this in the saved from the trash thread. Steel, no bouncy front forks and it doesn’t shift properly but it was free and included a set of knobby tires with tubes. I wiped it down and hosed down the shift levers and derailleurs with WD-40 which helped the shifting but not perfect. The chain rings are shot so it will get new (used?) cranks. Not fancy but not bad for free.

Pre-cleaning pics.

BTW - I know nothing about MTBs and finding appropriate cranks is a minefield. Over thinking it?
Old 03-26-22, 05:36 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
I posted this in the saved from the trash thread. Steel, no bouncy front forks and it doesn’t shift properly but it was free and included a set of knobby tires with tubes. I wiped it down and hosed down the shift levers and derailleurs with WD-40 which helped the shifting but not perfect. The chain rings are shot so it will get new (used?) cranks. Not fancy but not bad for free.

Pre-cleaning pics.

BTW - I know nothing about MTBs and finding appropriate cranks is a minefield. Over thinking it?
The chain rings on that are almost certainly steel, and don't look all that bad in terms of wear from the pics. Grime, yes, but the teeth look ok. More likely is that your chain is stretched. You could probably get away with popping the cranks off, giving them a really good clean, and replacing the chain. If you get new cranks you should replace the chain, anyway, so it's a 0 risk experiment.

MTB cranks are just a different forest, not really a minefield. Depending on the dropout spacing and some other things, the chainline should be about 47mm-ish, measured to the middle chainring. On a road bike the chainline is measured to point between the two chainrings. Before you take off the cranks, measure the stock chain line. When the cranks are off, measure the spindle. You can get a replacement for the BB if it is running raw based on that.

Otherwise, any modern crank you buy will have a spindle length recommendation and a chainline spec. You can adjust the spindle length recommendation to maintain the stock chainline, if you want, but in reality a few mm doesn't make a big diff on derailleur systems.

If you want to go 1x, use the middle chainring position with the recommended spindle length to achieve the spec chainline.

Regarding the shifters, old rapid fire shifters gum up like crazy. If you want to try again to clean them, open the plastic covers and use a mild degreaser while working all the cams etc inside with tweezers. It can help to heat up the shifter first, warm water or a blow drier works. After the parts are all moving ok, rinse them under hot tap water and shift up and down repeatedly to clear out the solvent. Finally, use a light oil to drive the water out and relube. Don't use grease. WD 40 works, but theoretically will degrade the plastic bits and doesn't leave much lubrication behind when it dries (it was designed as a Water Displacer, to dry aerospace parts, not as a solvent or a lube like everyone uses it today).

I have revived completely stuck units this way.

Last edited by Frkl; 03-26-22 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-26-22, 07:04 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 192 Posts

Pre-cleaning pics.

Those are not bad cranks. Just low end. What makes you think they are no longer usable? Those are steel rings, so they should have worn slowly.

Pore shifting is more likely caused by rusty chains, the need for new cables and housing, and maybe time to replace shifters. Maybe a cheaper route to investigate first.

Lubing everything can go a long way too from chains to cables to shifters. I like TriFlow for stuff like that but others have different kinds they like.

Last edited by mechanicmatt; 03-26-22 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-26-22, 08:26 AM
RustyJames 

Originally Posted by Frkl
The chain rings on that are almost certainly steel, and don't look all that bad in terms of wear from the pics. Grime, yes, but the teeth look ok. More likely is that your chain is stretched. You could probably get away with popping the cranks off, giving them a really good clean, and replacing the chain. If you get new cranks you should replace the chain, anyway, so it's a 0 risk experiment.

MTB cranks are just a different forest, not really a minefield. Depending on the dropout spacing and some other things, the chainline should be about 47mm-ish, measured to the middle chainring. On a road bike the chainline is measured to point between the two chainrings. Before you take off the cranks, measure the stock chain line. When the cranks are off, measure the spindle. You can get a replacement for the BB if it is running raw based on that.

Otherwise, any modern crank you buy will have a spindle length recommendation and a chainline spec. You can adjust the spindle length recommendation to maintain the stock chainline, if you want, but in reality a few mm doesn't make a big diff on derailleur systems.

If you want to go 1x, use the middle chainring position with the recommended spindle length to achieve the spec chainline.

Regarding the shifters, old rapid fire shifters gum up like crazy. If you want to try again to clean them, open the plastic covers and use a mild degreaser while working all the cams etc inside with tweezers. It can help to heat up the shifter first, warm water or a blow drier works. After the parts are all moving ok, rinse them under hot tap water and shift up and down repeatedly to clear out the solvent. Finally, use a light oil to drive the water out and relube. Don't use grease. WD 40 works, but theoretically will degrade the plastic bits and doesn't leave much lubrication behind when it dries (it was designed as a Water Displacer, to dry aerospace parts, not as a solvent or a lube like everyone uses it today).

I have revived completely stuck units this way.
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Those are not bad cranks. Just low end. What makes you think they are no longer usable? Those are steel rings, so they should have worn slowly.

Pore shifting is more likely caused by rusty chains, the need for new cables and housing, and maybe time to replace shifters. Maybe a cheaper route to investigate first.

Lubing everything can go a long way too from chains to cables to shifters. I like TriFlow for stuff like that but others have different kinds they like.
I’ll do some lubing and see what I get from that.

I was going to replace the cranks because I’m finding new cranks are cheaper than chainrings. Pic of the big ring. The middle has similar wear.

Old 03-26-22, 08:41 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

I’ll do some lubing and see what I get from that.

I was going to replace the cranks because I’m finding new cranks are cheaper than chainrings. Pic of the big ring. The middle has similar wear.

It's Of course hard to tell from a picture, but to me that's not really consequential wear. No tooth on a Hyperglide chain ring or cassette for that matter looks completely like another. That is why they shift well. Really worn teeth look like shark fins.

But you are right, it is often more cost effective to replace inexpensive cranks sets completely when a ring wears out. But not always. Remember that a new crank set may need a different bottom bracket spindle length, so there is that cost too.

Nice cleaning and polishing job btw.
Old 03-26-22, 08:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
It's Of course hard to tell from a picture, but to me that's not really consequential wear. No tooth on a Hyperglide chain ring or cassette for that matter looks completely like another. That is why they shift well. Really worn teeth look like shark fins.

But you are right, it is often more cost effective to replace inexpensive cranks sets completely when a ring wears out. But not always. Remember that a new crank set may need a different bottom bracket spindle length, so there is that cost too.

I agree. Here’s a comparison. New on the right, obviously.

worn vs unworn by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-26-22, 09:17 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I agree. Here’s a comparison. New on the right, obviously.

worn vs unworn by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Yup. That's what a shot ring looks like!
Old 03-26-22, 12:33 PM
RustyJames 

Thanks for the compliment. Clean parts are happy parts!

The top of the cogs are shorter above the “Dual SIS” sticker but mo bettah shifting makes sense. (Most of my fleet is friction shifting, pre 1980.) I’ll continue to clean, lube, etc until I’m happy with it.
Old 03-26-22, 01:02 PM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Thanks for the compliment. Clean parts are happy parts!

The top of the cogs are shorter above the “Dual SIS” sticker but mo bettah shifting makes sense. (Most of my fleet is friction shifting, pre 1980.) I’ll continue to clean, lube, etc until I’m happy with it.
I'm pretty sure it's just Hyperglide being Hyperglide. The teeth are different heights, and none are "full height" in comparison to a classic road chainring pre indexing and/or pre-ramped and pinned.
Old 03-26-22, 05:05 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Steel, no bouncy front forks....
And?..... IOW, that describes almost every bike posted here. Rigid fork == one less set of moving parts to worry about.

And +1 the above re. the chainrings. They're not minty fresh, but they're most definitely not shark-finned. FIRST place to look if you suspect driveline issues is the chain. A clean, shiny, well-lubed chain that's elongated will still shift poorly. Only way to know is by measurement. START there, along with the obvious derailleur adjustments, etc. BTW, I'm over-generalizing here, but any crankset with removable chainrings is generally of good quality.

Overall a pretty well-appointed bike, free or otherwise. Nice rims. (Front wheel is on backwards.) Wonder who built those frames for Performance BITD.

Last edited by madpogue; 03-26-22 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-27-22, 01:54 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by madpogue

Overall a pretty well-appointed bike, free or otherwise. Nice rims. (Front wheel is on backwards.) Wonder who built those frames for Performance BITD.
The rear drop out rack/fender mount looks like some I've seen on Diamondbacks, but that's neither here nor there.
Old 03-27-22, 04:06 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
...1997 Mongoose Rockadile SX
What bars are those? Looks like something that would be about perfect for me.
Old 03-27-22, 08:12 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
To me, part of the fun of these builds is taking parts out of your bins (ideal), or from the local co-op (2nd choice), and building up a bike you enjoy to ride. As such, sometimes they won't be color matched, or aesthetically pleasing. But if they work for you, great! And if you did it with left over parts, double great. On mine, the stem is a different color than the seat post. So I am breaking some kind of rule there.
Old 03-28-22, 04:20 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by wrk101
To me, part of the fun of these builds is taking parts out of your bins (ideal), or from the local co-op (2nd choice), and building up a bike you enjoy to ride. As such, sometimes they won't be color matched, or aesthetically pleasing. But if they work for you, great! And if you did it with left over parts, double great. On mine, the stem is a different color than the seat post. So I am breaking some kind of rule there.
I actually get a lot of pleasure out of carefully planning either a restoration or a radical modification, so as to ensure that the bike is both enjoyable to ride and aesthetically pleasing.

It doesn't necessarily have to be true to the original aesthetic of the bike, or some received wisdom like matching seat post and stem, but it does all have to "work" together based on my goal for a particular build.
Old 03-28-22, 11:34 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
What bars are those? Looks like something that would be about perfect for me.
Soma Dream Bars...they're 31.5" wide, like so wide, I may cut mine down a bit, but very fun to ride with.
Old 03-28-22, 06:03 PM
hzqw2l
JHD

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 11 Posts
1984 Ross Mt Hood

I'm guessing an 84 model Mt Hood although some components have an 83 date stamp.

As found original classic down to the tires.

Likes For hzqw2l:
Old 03-29-22, 01:45 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by hzqw2l
I'm guessing an 84 model Mt Hood although some components have an 83 date stamp.

Look at that! And the wheels are original? The anodizing is spotless. If you are going to ride that, please please get a second pair of wheels so those don't get worn!
Likes For Frkl:
Old 03-29-22, 05:49 AM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by rybin
GT Talera from 1994 (I think). Just got it from the local bike co-op and loving it so far

Love those crossed seat-stay frames. I saw a polished aluminum GT Edge that I wanted badly, but the frame was cracked at the seat post clamp.
Old 03-29-22, 08:30 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by hzqw2l

Pics of that sweet cycle computer mounted at the front wheel please. And looks like a Cannondale velcro mounted water bottle to boot. What a great find!
Old 03-30-22, 08:43 AM
hzqw2l
JHD

Bikes: A bunch

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Pics of that sweet cycle computer mounted at the front wheel please. And looks like a Cannondale velcro mounted water bottle to boot. What a great find!
Belt drive Sachs Huret.
Rims are Ukai. Slight pad rub both rims but still very nice.

Likes For hzqw2l:
Old 03-30-22, 11:27 AM
Fat Tire Trader 

Bikes: https://www.fattiretrading.com/collection.html

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 23 Posts
My favorite

Cunningham Indian

Last edited by Fat Tire Trader; 03-30-22 at 12:02 PM.
Likes For Fat Tire Trader:
Old 03-31-22, 08:26 PM
attylah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 116 Posts
Got the portage strap mounted……

….. now it feels complete. 1986 Raleigh Crested Butte Mountain Tour.
Likes For attylah:
Old 04-01-22, 03:57 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
That's really nice. I wish mine came with the original wheels.

Did the first toptube cable guide pop off, or did the housing just come loose from it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.