Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Us Your 650B Conversions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Us Your 650B Conversions

Old 12-03-21, 07:08 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
@bikemig, I spread two 120 frames to 130. I think it's OK to do this.

@gugie, your links to Park tools don't work for me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-04-21, 05:26 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by amedias

Is that a Soma Champs Elysees Fork? How do you like it?
Old 12-04-21, 09:56 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I've tried the threaded rod technique a couple of times. You can make it work, but I have had an issue at least once with it coming out uneven.
Unless the stays are identical on both sides, one side will bend more than the other. Many bikes have an additional indent on the drive side chainstay to provide chainring clearance, and that makes the stays bend differently.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-04-21, 11:51 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,764 Times in 2,270 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@gugie, your links to Park tools don't work for me.
Hmm, looks like the Park Tool site is "getting an upgrade".
Old 12-04-21, 07:46 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
I know I've shared this elsewhere, but perhaps not here.

I use a Park FFG-2 alignment tool, marked as you see here, to precisely spread and align the rear triangle as I go. Knowing the amount of hysteresis in typical Chrome Moly or 531 rear stay tubing to be around 20%, I stop adjusting the alignment at 130mm and continue spreading to about 165 - 170mm, as Andy_K suggested here. Then, just to make sure, I use the string check to verify correct centering. If that is off at all, I have an old broom handle with a 'C'-shaped notch on one end that I use with a medium sledge hammer to correct the offset. This has always worked for me.*

I was looking at the Park FFG-2 alignment tool online. $108 for a set - might be worth it if this method allows for some finesse. Using this tool set in combination with string alignment may be something I would try. The current spacing on my Trek 710 is 122mm that I spread to 130mm by hand when installing the rear wheel. It's a bit of a struggle. If I could get the spacing to 126mm + that would make it pretty easy to install the 130mm wheel.

One question. Once the Park Tool FFG-2 tools are tightened into each drop out, do you then spread the drop outs by turning the large cylindrical portions of the tools using channel locks?
Old 12-05-21, 08:28 AM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw

One question. Once the Park Tool FFG-2 tools are tightened into each drop out, do you then spread the drop outs by turning the large cylindrical portions of the tools using channel locks?
The dropouts themselves are too pliable to be used as place from which to spread the frame, at least with this tool which isn’t solid all the way across. There’s the old nut threaded rod method, but you’re better off with the 2x4 strategy, or better yet the Park FFS-2.

The FFG-2 is used to make dropouts parallel after rear end has been re-spaced and aligned. The cylinders are turned by hand, you then manipulate the handles to align the cylinders.

Last edited by fliplap; 12-05-21 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-05-21, 10:19 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplap
The dropouts themselves are too pliable to be used as place from which to spread the frame, at least with this tool which isn’t solid all the way across. There’s the old nut threaded rod method, but you’re better off with the 2x4 strategy, or better yet the Park FFS-2.

The FFG-2 is used to make dropouts parallel after rear end has been re-spaced and aligned. The cylinders are turned by hand, you then manipulate the handles to align the cylinders.
And, I disagree. This works for me.

I realize this is outside the intended scope for this tool, but it doesn't damage the dropouts or the tool itself. The results speak for themselves - every one of my modified frames is perfectly aligned.

As always, YMMV.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 12-05-21, 04:29 PM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 103 Posts
And, I disagree. This works for me.

I realize this is outside the intended scope for this tool, but it doesn't damage the dropouts or the tool itself. The results speak for themselves - every one of my modified frames is perfectly aligned.

As always, YMMV.
I stand corrected. Sounds like it works. I’ve never liked the idea of levering off of the dropout versus the stay. Not the way I’d do it, but I also have access to more appropriate tooling.
Old 12-05-21, 09:23 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by fliplap
I stand corrected. Sounds like it works. I’ve never liked the idea of levering off of the dropout versus the stay. Not the way I’d do it, but I also have access to more appropriate tooling.
Not necessarily "corrected", Mr. flipflap. I totally sympathize with your position on using the right tool for the job. I am an aerospace quality auditor by profession, so I understand this sort of engineering discipline.

But in this particular case, I analyzed the strength of the tool against the resistance of the rear triangle assemblies, identified the differential resistance of the DS stays, and determined that I should use the string alignment method throughout the process. The troglodyte approach of using a sledge hammer and broomstick to sort of equalize the stresses in the assembly was my only real contribution to the existing body of knowledge.

Thank you for taking the time to question my assertions and prompt me to re-examine my methods. I appreciate the respect with which you did this, and would welcome any PM communications in the future.

Old 12-06-21, 04:36 AM
amedias

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Is that a Soma Champs Elysees Fork? How do you like it?
Yes it is...

It's an decent fork, quality is very good, finish is good, has appropriate mounts in all the right places etc. The downside is the same as most mass-market forks, in that it's sturdier* than it really needs to be, but for the amount of money it costs compared to a custom fork (with chrome finish) you can't really complain and it's one of the few options available in that offset and with a 1 inch steerer.

* The ride isn't as cushy as some of the nicer forks I own, but it's not so much of an issue with squishy 42mm tyres.
Old 03-25-22, 01:19 PM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
1972 Fuji The Finest

Will do a build thread eventually as it has a story to tell. Test ride today to check out brakes/shifting etc. Ultimately need to decide whether to keep the short stem with the shorter top tube and the narrow bars compared to my normal setup. But nice riding setup so far!

Old 03-25-22, 07:29 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 918 Times in 174 Posts
Grand Record 650b conversion

Here is my artistic spin and build circa 1973 Moto Grand Record). @gugie did the frame modifications, braze-ons, and front rack. I built the wheels and bike. Plus, I added the painted lugs, lug lining, and box lining.

Old 03-26-22, 10:25 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by Andy Antipas
Here is my artistic spin and build circa 1973 Moto Grand Record). @gugie did the frame modifications, braze-ons, and front rack. I built the wheels and bike. Plus, I added the painted lugs, lug lining, and box lining.
That is an extremely nice build. Beau! Première classe!

Old 03-26-22, 02:36 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
That is an extremely nice build. Beau! Première classe!
Just like everything that Andy builds and rides!
Old 03-26-22, 03:18 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 962 Times in 480 Posts
Originally Posted by AJI125
Will do a build thread eventually as it has a story to tell. Test ride today to check out brakes/shifting etc. Ultimately need to decide whether to keep the short stem with the shorter top tube and the narrow bars compared to my normal setup. But nice riding setup so far!

Those are impeccable fender lines! Nice build too!
Old 03-26-22, 03:19 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Wow! Nice fender lines too!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 03-26-22, 03:40 PM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 69 Posts

Details on that headlight? Looks cool. Great frame color, too. Love the lines.
Old 03-26-22, 06:05 PM
Andy Antipas 

Fender Lines

Originally Posted by mountaindave
Wow! Nice fender lines too!
Thank you Dave. I think this is my forth attempt at fender lines? Practice makes perfect, but I gotta say that monsieur gugie modifications made getting reasonable fender lines much easier.
Old 03-26-22, 06:08 PM
Andy Antipas 

Radios No. 16 headlight

Originally Posted by bear_a_bug
Details on that headlight? Looks cool. Great frame color, too. Love the lines.
The headlight is a French Radios No. 16. I'm not sure when that headlight model first came out, but I'm fairly certain it goes back to at least the 1950s

I have modified it with "guts" from a modern LED headlight, and there is a thread somewhere on Classic & Vintage that shows what I did.
Likes For Andy Antipas:
Old 03-26-22, 06:51 PM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
Those are impeccable fender lines! Nice build too!
Thanks Dave. But you’re mostly just excited it’s half step gearing I bet (whether consciously or subconsciously I’m not sure)! 53-49-36 though, what am I thinking with all these hills around here!

VeloLumino’s excellent guide goes a long way for fenders! And the Fender Line thread was a great inspiration. Mostly doing it for the second time and being patient does the trick. Needed the extra front stay with no rack or anything and tried to more or less ratio it positioned the same as gugie’s Vintage Peugeot he posted on there. Almost didn’t post anything yet with my crashed bar tape from my old bike haphazardly wrapped on there, but still not sure about stem/bars so figured I’d recycle it for now (and bonus it kinda matches the decals)!
Old 03-26-22, 07:49 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by AJI125
Thanks Dave. But you’re mostly just excited it’s half step gearing I bet (whether consciously or subconsciously I’m not sure)! 53-49-36 though, what am I thinking with all these hills around here!

VeloLumino’s excellent guide goes a long way for fenders!
Ha! It must have been subconscious, but now I see it! You must share the FW sprocket combination!

Anton is good at what he does and his tutorials are impressive. It may be a bit snobbish, but I feel like good fender lines help tie the entire bike together. I’m not an architect or designer, but one can sense when an object is out of proportion, or it’s lines out of balance.

Vive la conversion!
Old 03-26-22, 07:50 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Thank you Dave. I think this is my forth attempt at fender lines? Practice makes perfect, but I gotta say that monsieur gugie modifications made getting reasonable fender lines much easier.
I want to be like Gugie when I grow up!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 03-26-22, 09:49 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,764 Times in 2,270 Posts
I want to be like Gugie when I grow up!
Uh, I never grew up.
Don't plan to either.
Old 03-27-22, 12:34 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Yeah, growing up is a trap. Don't do it, kids!!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 03-27-22, 02:14 AM
topnohu

Location: 68 Nguyễn Huệ, Bến Nghé, Quận 1, Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh 70000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could you tell me where I can get fenders like the one pictured on your bike? I have tried searching but must be looking in the wrong places.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.