Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Weighting front end of bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-22, 12:32 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts

For some time now there has been a strong chorus from followers of the "load the front wheel" cult. Have always poo-poo'd them as I have toured and commuted for years with just a handlebar bag and rear panniers. Over the winter I made a set of anything racks for the fork on my touring rig. Strapped 10L waterproof sacks to them today and loaded with the clothes I typically take on tour. Just the handlebar bag and the anything racks and bags on the bike, left the panniers off.
Very pleased with the way the bike handles. Tracking is especially good, and cornering is just fine. Trail on the bike is about 70mm, so it is stable in nature unloaded, but gets a little upset with panniers, tent and handlebar bag loaded up. Simply adding about 7 pounds to the fork legs made a very nice difference.
I am now a member of the "load the front wheel" cult. Didn't believe it until I tried it, and it does indeed make a difference.
Old 04-10-22, 01:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I’ve always loaded the front.

From a 2011 loop from Missoula. Virtually all the cooking/eating gear is up front, among other things.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-11-22, 07:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
...Over the winter I made a set of anything racks for the fork on my touring rig. Strapped 10L waterproof sacks to them today and loaded with the clothes I typically take on tour. Just the handlebar bag and the anything racks and bags on the bike, left the panniers off. ...
Very pleased with the way the bike handles. ...
Simply adding about 7 pounds to the fork legs made a very nice difference.
I am now a member of the "load the front wheel" cult. Didn't believe it until I tried it, and it does indeed make a difference.
Care to elaborate more on your DIY Anything cages in case others may be interested?

Was that 7 pounds total or per side?
Old 04-12-22, 06:24 AM
TiHabanero

The rack is made from some scrap 6" PVC pipe. The bag support on the bottom is a 3" u-bolt. Keep in mind the rack simply performs the task of keeping the bag out of the wheel and supporting the bag preventing it from slipping down. Not much to it other than that. The bag is PVC roll top and waterproof as tested.

A bit crude looking, however it functions well.

Last edited by TiHabanero; 04-12-22 at 06:31 AM.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 04-13-22, 08:04 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
The rack is made from some scrap 6" PVC pipe. The bag support on the bottom is a 3" u-bolt. Keep in mind the rack simply performs the task of keeping the bag out of the wheel and supporting the bag preventing it from slipping down. Not much to it other than that. The bag is PVC roll top and waterproof as tested.

I'm wondering if that's the natural curve to the pipe, or did you heat up the pvc to relax the curvature a bit. I'm thinking of doing something DIY myself, but am not ready to jump yet. I'll need to figure out a way to attach them to my suspension forks so I'm slightly hesitant as to what I want to try. I read of someone using a large shampoo bottle and someone else was promoting cutting up a bucket. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-14-22, 03:55 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Thanks for posting. It looks like your lower mounting bolts are attached somehow with Velcro.

I have considered trying something like that with a Blackburn Outpost cage. I picked up a pair of them at a swap meet, but have not tried to use them yet.
https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/ou...100000010.html

But my fork also does not have a lower mounting point that is in the right spot, I considered using a P clip, something like this in the lower mounting point on that cage.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/0-75-in-...1575/202875639

If I do that, the upper bolt would go into the midfork rack mounting point. The lower bolt on a P clip would only keep the cage in the right orientation, the lower bolt would not support the weight on the cage.
Old 04-14-22, 06:00 PM
TiHabanero

The fork has a single mounting point brazed on, and the lower mount is one of those SKS strap-on things. The top mounting bolt will carry the bulk of the weight, the lower one is simply to stabilize the contraption, but it does carry some of the load, albeit a tiny amount. Only clothes will be stored in the bags, thus not much weight. The bolt is a 4mm and I am certain that it is more than adequate enough to handle the duty.
For sure I can add a braze-on mount, however I believe it is not necessary.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 04-15-22, 05:11 AM
Tourist in MSN

The fork has a single mounting point brazed on, and the lower mount is one of those SKS strap-on things. The top mounting bolt will carry the bulk of the weight, the lower one is simply to stabilize the contraption, but it does carry some of the load, albeit a tiny amount. Only clothes will be stored in the bags, thus not much weight. The bolt is a 4mm and I am certain that it is more than adequate enough to handle the duty.
For sure I can add a braze-on mount, however I believe it is not necessary.
Sounds like what you did for mounting is similar to my thought process and plans with slightly different hardware. Main difference is that I bought an off-the-shelf pair of cages (used) and you started with scrap supplies. Thus, you had to be more creative.
Old 04-15-22, 08:30 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
For some time now there has been a strong chorus from followers of the "load the front wheel" cult.
I tried carrying the entire dunnage upfront for a short self-contained once, oh, golly, years ago. My memory is my bike rode like a jackhammer. YMMV.

We used to debate fork tube gage and crosssection and bend to provide that magic optimum of compliance and accurate tracking.

Now we stiffen the forks for disc brakes and further triangulate their stiffness with load-carrying front racks, and search for the magic optimum tire structure and pressure for compliance and accurate tracking.

Life goes on.

Last edited by tcs; 04-16-22 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-15-22, 07:11 PM
TiHabanero

Unfortunately the destination does little to satisfy the journey. The journey itself makes the destination meaning. Making the anything cages just made sense to me, it became part of the journey. I designed and built the bike frame a few years ago, of course I built up the wheels, but I already had the rear rack so didn't need to make one, however I do have an idea for a rear rack that I will be playing with next winter.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 04-21-22, 08:15 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
It is not intuitive (at least to a non-engineer), but it does make for a more stable ride. Especially when going downhill at speed.