Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any way to expand an O-ring in a Bontrager pump?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-07-22, 01:08 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

My Bontrager Turbocharger HP pump has issues, adding silicone grease only slightly improved things - pretty sure the plunger O ring is worn - getting a specific replacement looks like it's going to be problematic - are you aware of a way to swell that O- ring or do you think I'd be likely to find the right size in a typical O - ring collection at Harbor Freight, Home Depot etc.?
Old 05-07-22, 01:15 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I seem to remember using isopropyl alcohol to expand a rubber seal in a suspension fork once. Not sure if it's the same material, but might be worth a shot.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-07-22, 01:22 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
My Bontrager Turbocharger HP pump has issues, adding silicone grease only slightly improved things - pretty sure the plunger O ring is worn - getting a specific replacement looks like it's going to be problematic - are you aware of a way to swell that O- ring or do you think I'd be likely to find the right size in a typical O - ring collection at Harbor Freight, Home Depot etc.?
Try a local Ace. Tru Value, or plumbing supply store. My ace has them individually at the service counter.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-07-22, 05:03 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Try a local Ace. Tru Value, or plumbing supply store. My ace has them individually at the service counter.
+1. Also auto parts stores usually have a good supply.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-08-22, 04:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I would recommend first checking with your local older Trek Store (that has been around long enough to have carried that pump) and see if they have any leads and if nothing else do what dedhed recommended and check your local hardware or plumbing store.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-08-22, 10:22 PM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
I'm pretty certain the o-ring is an standard industrial type oring. I can't see Trek/Bontrager making special o-rings but rather, incorporate an existing o-ring.

My local hardware store (Do It Best) has o-rings in those small parts pull out drawers. There are finite sizes, based on the cross section diameter of material and the ID of the ring. The various sizes are distinct enough that you can visually match your oring, just take it with you.

Often, shops have a measuring cone (a cone with the tip facing up) and you drop the o-ring onto the cone and where it lands, tells you the ID. Then there is a little notched, slip-in gauge at the base of the cone that indicates the diameter of the cross section.
Likes For MudPie:
Old 05-09-22, 01:53 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by MudPie
I'm pretty certain the o-ring is an standard industrial type oring. I can't see Trek/Bontrager making special o-rings but rather, incorporate an existing o-ring.

My local hardware store (Do It Best) has o-rings in those small parts pull out drawers. There are finite sizes, based on the cross section diameter of material and the ID of the ring. The various sizes are distinct enough that you can visually match your oring, just take it with you.

Often, shops have a measuring cone (a cone with the tip facing up) and you drop the o-ring onto the cone and where it lands, tells you the ID. Then there is a little notched, slip-in gauge at the base of the cone that indicates the diameter of the cross section.
OP stated that the o-ring was worn, measuring it this way may cause one to get an improper size o-ring.

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 05-09-22, 06:21 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
OP stated that the o-ring was worn, measuring it this way may cause one to get an improper size o-ring.
They'll be fine. The jumps are so incremental in O ring sizes and the cost minuscule you can buy a couple different ones and see which works best.
An "improper size" will often even work in many applications due to the nature of the material, especially in low tolerance applications.
No manufacturer uses a custom size O ring because they are made in so many sizes

O rings are sized by ID-OD-cross section. Measure your groove it sits in to get ID and width of groove will give cross section. OD is then standardized because of the cross section.

It's a bicycle hand pump, not a high speed, high pressure application.

Last edited by dedhed; 05-09-22 at 06:24 AM.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-09-22, 08:17 AM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Assuming the o-ring is worn to allow air to pass, you could not discern dimensional changes visually. The next size up or down will be obviously incorrect.

The other variable about o-rings is the material. Some materials are better suited for different chemicals or environmental conditions, but for this applictin, the cheapest and most available rubber will be more than sufficient,
Likes For MudPie:
Old 05-09-22, 08:28 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by MudPie
The other variable about o-rings is the material. Some materials are better suited for different chemicals or environmental conditions, but for this applictin, the cheapest and most available rubber will be more than sufficient,

Most hardware store/plumbing are going to be SBR or Buna N (Nitrile) and more than adequate. Auto parts may have a Viton (FKM) for fuel applications, but would be overkill for a pump.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-09-22, 08:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Trying to swell an o-ring does not end well. The whole o-ring swells which means that it doesn’t fit anymore. As others have said, go to a good hardware store…probably not a Big Box. Ace has a better small bolts/small hardware selection and you don’t have to buy 13 of them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-09-22, 09:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Just get a new air chuck. They aren't very expensive at all. The last one I purchased was only about $4.50. And it included a hose that happened to be longer than the one on the pump.

You might have to search a little. There are $50 and higher air chucks out there for those that need the prestige and self-adoration.
Old 05-09-22, 05:15 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by Iride01
Just get a new air chuck. They aren't very expensive at all. The last one I purchased was only about $4.50. And it included a hose that happened to be longer than the one on the pump.

You might have to search a little. There are $50 and higher air chucks out there for those that need the prestige and self-adoration.
I'm referring to the O-ring that's on the plunger that rides inside the pump body. The chuck is good afaik.
Old 05-10-22, 07:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I'm referring to the O-ring that's on the plunger that rides inside the pump body. The chuck is good afaik.
Yeah, I really need to slow down and read. But heck, that wouldn't be me if I did! <grin>

In that case, pretty much similar advice. Get a new floor pump.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-10-22 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-10-22, 08:12 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Parker Hannifin, industrial air tool supply, Grainger, if you can’t find it at the hardware store.

Last edited by grizzly59; 05-10-22 at 08:16 AM.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 05-11-22, 03:09 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Found two "Trek" pages on this but nothing gives dimensions

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-ring/p/26018/

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...ommet/p/13891/

Old 05-11-22, 06:41 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
Greases are made to very slightly expand most all o-rings materials for improved fit and service life but not repair a worn o-ring, if you use them periodically your o-rings will last much longer.

Dow Corning Molykote 55 Oring Grease 5.3oz - DC 55

Old 05-11-22, 07:33 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3489 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Dow Corning Molykote 55 Oring Grease 5.3oz - DC 55
Will the Molykote also work on thicker rubber bushings as well, like in a Presta pump head/chuck?
Old 05-11-22, 08:04 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Speaking as an engineer who deals with o-rings pretty often... There's a lot to know about o-rings but you don't need to learn it for this.

Just take the disassembled pump to the hardware store and figure it out. You need the right thickness and it should be stretched just a little when installed on the piston so it's not loose, and then when you put it into the pump cylinder you should have a little but not too much trouble. If you have a choice on hardness just try to get one that feels about the same. Buy a couple of them in case you tear it when you install it. Clean everything really well and grease it before you put it back together for good. It's possible the cylinder has gotten scratched or rusted as the thing was deteriorating so don't get your hopes up it'll be good as new for just as long.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-11-22 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-11-22, 08:04 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Yes, i get very good life, does not take much. There are a lot possible failure modes for o-rings and bushings in industry but in a pump plunger or a chuck the likely failure mechanism I would say is abrasion with the plunger wall and the presta and/or schrader, this friction can be helped with a lubricant. In the plunger I would also expect over time another failure mode would be compression set as the walls flatten the circular o-ring and it takes a permanent flattened set, this is where a very slight expansion of the o-ring material could help.
Old 05-11-22, 08:06 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Greases are made to very slightly expand most all o-rings materials for improved fit and service life but not repair a worn o-ring, if you use them periodically your o-rings will last much longer.
Lubricant will reduce friction and, thus, wear on the o-ring but no lubricant should change the characteristics of an o-ring. Having swollen many o-rings because of chemical incompatibility, I can tell you that a swollen o-ring is not something you want. Any change to the physical characteristics of the o-ring from swelling to softening to hardening will result in improper performance of the o-ring. The result may be only a slight decrease in performance or it could be disastrous.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-11-22, 08:45 AM
MyRedTrek

As a follow-up, I got an O-ring at an Ace, applied silicone lube and it works great now.

Actually I got two, have one as a spare.
Likes For MyRedTrek:
Old 05-11-22, 09:00 AM
easyupbug 

I have been clear in the OP's case he needs a new seal, a lubricant will not help him. That said in my discussion with smd4 on preventative maintenance, not repair, or chemical incompatibility, you can read from the Dupont Resource Center "MOLYKOTE® 55 O-Ring Grease is a silicone-based material that helps ensure positive lubrication and sealing by slightly swelling rubber O-rings and seals" which is standard industrial preventative maintenance practice that enhances the sealing and life.
Old 05-11-22, 03:32 PM
cyccommute 

I have been clear in the OP's case he needs a new seal, a lubricant will not help him. That said in my discussion with smd4 on preventative maintenance, not repair, or chemical incompatibility, you can read from the Dupont Resource Center "MOLYKOTE® 55 O-Ring Grease is a silicone-based material that helps ensure positive lubrication and sealing by slightly swelling rubber O-rings and seals" which is standard industrial preventative maintenance practice that enhances the sealing and life.
I think you are misunderstanding what the Molykote is doing. From the Dupont technical sheet:

DESCRIPTION
MOLYKOTE® 55 O-Ring Grease is a silicone-based material that helps ensure positive lubrication and sealing by slightly swelling rubber O-rings and seals. This product is heat-stable and oxidation-resistant and is serviceable from approximately
-65 to 175°C (-85 to 347°F).
How to use
MOLYKOTE® 55 O-Ring Grease should be applied using brush, grease gun, or automatic lubrication system. MOLYKOTE® 55 O- Ring Grease can be used in centralized lubrication systems. Do not mix with other greases.
MOLYKOTE® 55 O-Ring Grease has been shown to swell natural rubber. However, compatibility of the lubricant may vary with the plasticizer content of specific materials (especially elastomers). Small-scale compatibility testing should be conducted prior to the use of this product in any application.
MOLYKOTE® 55 O-Ring Grease should not be used with the following materials unless thoroughly tested for your specific application:
• Silicone rubber (SR)
• Polycarbonate (PC)
• Acrylonitrile-butadiene- styrene (ABS)
I read this as it is meant to swell natural rubber o-rings. In my experience, that is a vanishingly small proportion of o-rings available and in common use. Buna, neoprene, and Viton are far more common. I’ve had a lot of o-rings swell and it’s never good for the sealing job they are meant to do.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-11-22, 11:02 PM
MyRedTrek

Btw, the reason I think the original O-ring got worn down in the first place is some corrosion developed at the bottom of the tube. Not sure how that happened but I began to feel this rough spot at the bottom of the plunger travel. Before putting the new O-ring in I attached varying grades of wet-dry sandpaper to the end of a dowel with doubled over duct tape and worked it against the rough area until it disappeared. 320, 800, 2000, 3000 grit. Wiped it out with paper towels also attached to the end of the dowel and shot aerosol parts cleaner down there until the towels came out with no more residue, then re-lubed with Sil-Glyde.

The whole travel feels buttery smooth and the pump really moves some air now all the way from the top of its travel.
Likes For MyRedTrek:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.