Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Mongoose Hilltopper

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 02:56 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Mongoose Hilltopper

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bik...ike/1616476629

A Mongoose, for $250?
Old 05-10-22, 03:32 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts

Mongoose was a bike store brand in the 90's when this bike was made. My guess is 1994, MSRP of $325 with an Alivio and STX component mix, Tange chromoly main triangle. Not high end, but if you do a Canadian to US dollar conversion

$250 CAD = ~$191 USD

It starts looking more reasonable if you can also put those bags to use. If I ever get a Mongoose it's gonna have IBOC on the top tube or it'll be one of those sweet all-chrome ATBs.
Old 05-10-22, 06:51 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
No way. In my market, its a $20 bike. Canada bike market is much stronger, but not 10X stronger.

The interesting Mongoose bikes were a little earlier, like the full chrome ATB. Or the early BMX, or the later IBOC bikes. I picked up a road Mongoose IBOC bike, full Campy (lower end Campy, but still Campy).
Old 05-11-22, 03:35 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I agree it’s overpriced. Judging by the Crankset it looks like GS 200 and Altus stuff. For an old MTB once the price goes over $100 it should have a full ChroMo frame and fork and at least Exage mountain or Exage 500LX

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-11-22, 11:26 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

The guy lives right nearby. I'm going to ride past on the way home and see it.
Old 05-11-22, 11:34 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by wrk101
No way. In my market, its a $20 bike. Canada bike market is much stronger, but not 10X stronger.

The interesting Mongoose bikes were a little earlier, like the full chrome ATB. Or the early BMX, or the later IBOC bikes. I picked up a road Mongoose IBOC bike, full Campy (lower end Campy, but still Campy).
That's what I think too. The USA has wayyy better deals than up here, much better selection too. In this City, bike pricing is unrealistic and unknowledgeable people ask plucked from the ether sticker prices. Bikes (for most) can only be used about half the year here anyways. Tack "Vintage" on something bought from Dollartree 15 minutes earlier and try to sell it for 8 times what you just paid. That's the mentality. Just because something is old doesn't make it valuable. I have an old Raleigh Elkhorn frame which snapped at the seatstay / seatube junction which I kept in the hopes to re-braze and make modifications to. But, what's the point. Just import an intact from the US. Looking at it again today, I'm going to cut it in half and toss it this upcoming garbage day.
Old 05-11-22, 06:55 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I agree it’s overpriced. Judging by the Crankset it looks like GS 200 and Altus stuff. For an old MTB once the price goes over $100 it should have a full ChroMo frame and fork and at least Exage mountain or Exage 500LX
Hi BG, went to see it today. The fellow lives a 5 minute ride from here. Nice fellow. He has to give up riding that bike due to lower body nerve damage and will probably go with an electric trike. Here are some photos. It measures a 22.5" ST and 23"+ for the top tube.
The rims are single wall unfortunately. Looks like maybe a '92 or '93 model. Has Alivio shifters and STX for drivetrain. The bike is in fine shape and he bought it new.

Old 05-11-22, 09:32 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
One issue and really only one at this point size this is a huge bike 6 ft plus rider. If it fits as is good deal if not pas.
i

Last edited by zukahn1; 05-11-22 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-12-22, 05:37 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Looks like maybe a '92 or '93 model. Has Alivio shifters and STX for drivetrain.
Both of those groups came out in 1994. The seller is adding the price of "upgrades" like the suspension stem and seatpost, the rack, and the bags to the price of the bike. I'm not saying it's not overpriced, but this bike isn't a complete embarrassment like its Walgoose and Targoose successors would lead you to believe. It's equivalent to an 800 series Trek or a Specialized Hardrock.
Old 05-12-22, 03:53 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Would the consensus then be that this is about a $75 bike? I want him to sell it as he is a nice fellow and yet I don't even want to offer what I think it is worth. The stem might be good to use for winter riding to smooth out the killer bumps which wreak havoc on inner forearm tendons. There is always another bike and it is just a low-mid calibre steel MTN hardtail (a type which I already use daily). Here is one, albeit a different year, for $50.

Zukahn; I could fit this bike easily.

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 05-13-22 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-13-22, 09:29 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Are you asking, do you think $75 is a reasonable offer if the seller wants $250? If I were the seller and I got a lowball offer like that, end of transaction.

In my area in a major metro city in the Midwest, just the bike alone, tuned, cleaned & ready to go, would be about $150. Accessories another $50-75. So $250 is not an unreasonable ask, especially in a post-pandemic world where gas prices are sky-high and decent bikes remain in short supply. You might be OK trying to shave a little here, but not probably as much as you want.
Old 05-13-22, 10:01 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by bargainguy
Are you asking, do you think $75 is a reasonable offer if the seller wants $250? If I were the seller and I got a lowball offer like that, end of transaction.

In my area in a major metro city in the Midwest, just the bike alone, tuned, cleaned & ready to go, would be about $150. Accessories another $50-75. So $250 is not an unreasonable ask, especially in a post-pandemic world where gas prices are sky-high and decent bikes remain in short supply. You might be OK trying to shave a little here, but not probably as much as you want.
Markets vary, that's for sure. He's asking $250 but whether it's worth it is another. This is why I'm not going to make any sort of offer and just let it go. I don't have to have it and there will always be another bike. Fall is coming. No rush.