Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How much am I losing by using clip pedals?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How much am I losing by using clip pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-22, 01:22 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
I use trail running shoes or barefoot running shoes.
How much power do you gain from a carbon sole? And where does that energy go if you use running shoes, back up into your leg.
My foot is flexible and i think so should my shoes.
I am coming back from a broken femur and
clipless did not help at all in fact they held up progress.
I am 99 % better not just from the shoes but a combination of factors.
And remember La Vie Claire was set up to sell shoes and pedals. They got the best riders who where going to win and paid them a fortune.
They would have won in toeclips.
My advice is try everything and use what's best for you.
Old 05-13-22, 01:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Somewhere I have my old leather shoes with cleats, but they've been hidden away for years. Presumably they hold the feet almost as secure as the clipless. But, a good part of my riding is commuting and errands, and I hated walking on those shoes.

I wore casual shoes with my toeclips for many years. Ultimately I chose to change to SPD due to the cage pedals being uncomfortable for longer rides.

And I plain LIKE the SPDs.
Old 05-13-22, 01:55 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Ride what you prefer. Thinking one is better than another is just plain stupid.
Old 05-13-22, 02:09 PM
iab

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
I can say, after watching a certain BF member ride Dairyland Dare on a 2-sp 1933 bike while wearing Vanns (I think) that I don't see a huge advantage in clipless, either.
I know that guy, not very bright that one.

The gearing in question was 42 up front and a 18/21/24 3-speed in back. Vans are too soft in the sole and not stylish enough. I believe they were Keens, but that was a decade ago.
Likes For iab:
Old 05-13-22, 02:28 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
This isn’t either or, it only takes a couple of minutes to change pedals.

Personally I don’t see much of a point in using clips and straps unless you need them for Eroica or equivalent. Quality flats and shoes let you walk around more off the bike than clipless and probably give more grip than clips without cleats.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 05-13-22, 02:41 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Ride what you prefer. Thinking one is better than another is just plain stupid.

I agree 100% with "ride what you prefer" but disagree with thinking one is better than the other is stupid seems wrong, in my opinion. Perhaps I am stupid but I honestly think my SPD pedals with recessed shoe clips is a far superior system.

First, entering and exiting the SPD is very simple to do once one learns how. There is never the need to bend down to strap in. And, though perhaps a bit silly, I love the "click" of engagement when the shoe snaps into place. Anyway...

There is never damage to one's shoes and shoes, these days are costly. There is never any damage to the crank arm, such as the strap rubbing off that anodized coating or even cutting into the soft alloy crank arm.

No matter where the crank arms are, when pushing the bike, they do not drag on the ground, an annoying problem with rats and traps. And, your foot is properly positioned immediately upon entry into the SPD with no amount of error. That all said...

I did indicate, in post #12, that I am not an expert and, to be honest, have not used rats and traps all that much. But I have used them and almost always find them awkward to enter. And, though I might be using rats and traps incorrectly, I do not think that they transmit power as effectively as the SPD system.

Based on all of the above advantages, that I see, I am not really sure that I am stupid for thinking the SPD system has distinct advantages over the old school rats and traps. Of course, none of what I just said answers the OP's original concern but I do think that it comes pretty close, from one man's point of view.

In closing, what systems do the Tour du France riders use?
Old 05-13-22, 02:44 PM
iab

Originally Posted by randyjawa

In closing, what systems do the Tour du France riders use?
Comparing TdF riders with the likes in this forum is stupid. Sorry. And everything else you listed is a preference, not objectively "better".
Likes For iab:
Old 05-13-22, 04:10 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad

IMHO the shoe you are wearing makes more difference that the clip or clipless systems, you get more efficiency from a stiff sole than a soft tennis shoe
Aaaaand there's the correct answer to the OP's query.

DD
Old 05-13-22, 04:57 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Very interesting! I grew up riding cages with sneakers or whatever shoes I had and never knew the cage wasn't supposed to be in contact with the toe box.
It was the top of my cycling shoes (toe box) that was getting cut. On street shoes this wasn't a problem but the top of the shoe was always in contact with the cages because even large cages aren't big enough to fit a 9.5 size shoe without contact.
The problem with cages and street shoes is the laces would get caught. I use SPDs on all my road and track bikes. Cages on my cruisers but I prefer the All-City style double pronged cage - wider and much easier to slide in and out for me.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Are you talking about the instep or on the top of the toebox? If it's the latter, the toebox should not be touching the toe clip. With the cleat properly positioned so that the ball of the foot is over the pedal spindle, there should be a small gap between the toebox and the toe clip. If not, you need a longer toe clip or to add washers between the pedal and toe clip mounting bracket. The toe clip is only to hold the strap open, to facilitate shoe entry and removal, and to hold the strap's position on the instep. The toe clip should not touch the shoe at any point other than in the immediate vicinity of the strap loop.

If you're talikng about the strap mounting loop on the instep, then the cleats should hold the shoes in a stable enough position that there should little, if any, movement between the shoe and toe clip. However, shoe damage in this are can reduced by fabricating a buffer between the shoe and toe clip. Cut a couple of slits in it, so that the toe strap can be fed through it, to hold it in place. You can use leatrher or any other suitable material. I made mine from old, thin, foam insoles. They may also ease some discomfort.

Old 05-13-22, 05:07 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
How much am I losing...?

Well, depending on whether you are coupling your pedal choice with wide or narrow tires at low or high pressures,
and if you happen to be using either wax or oil, or even WD40 as chain lube,
then you could be losing a whole lot. Or a little. You may even be gaining in some areas.