Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Matte Grey, Beautiful Welds, Lightweight: My Litespeed At a Glance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Matte Grey, Beautiful Welds, Lightweight: My Litespeed At a Glance

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 08:41 AM
rufvelo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice 14max, congrats again!

How does it compare with the Cinelli SuperCorsa? Fit comparison? Weight 18 v/s 23lbs? Ride comparison?
(Tell me it sucks, you've already got me bookmarking the Colorado Cyclist Firenze page for daily review )
Old 06-25-06, 09:08 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike man! I especially like the WC stripes worked into the Litespeed logo.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 06-25-06, 01:09 PM
14max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rufvelo
Very nice 14max, congrats again!

How does it compare with the Cinelli SuperCorsa? Fit comparison? Weight 18 v/s 23lbs? Ride comparison?
(Tell me it sucks, you've already got me bookmarking the Colorado Cyclist Firenze page for daily review )
Actually the fit is better than the SuperCorsa. Remember, I only had the SC for a short period of time and didn't even give it a ride so my experience is only limited to setting it up and fitting myself to it before deciding to send it back. I will say, however, that the difference in riding the Litespeed, an 18 pound 'lightweight', opposed to riding the Rivendell, a 23+ pound 'heavyweight' (these are relative terms, folks), is astonishing and enlightening--so to speak. I was amazed at not only the weight difference but also how nicely the bike soaked up bumps and the really neat way it tracked and cornered. I felt like I was in a sports car rather than a family sedan. And the ride wasn't twitchy either. I half expected to be thrown around at the slightest change in direction but that wasn't the case. The oft overused "tracks like it's on rails" applies here.
Old 06-25-06, 01:10 PM
14max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cydewaze
Nice bike man! I especially like the WC stripes worked into the Litespeed logo.
I thought the stripes were kind of cool, too. I used yellow, white, and green tape to finish the bars to bring that out a bit more...
Old 06-26-06, 05:47 PM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations. My favorite bike is built on exactly the same frame. It is a dandy.
Old 06-29-06, 10:07 AM
14max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fmw
Congratulations. My favorite bike is built on exactly the same frame. It is a dandy.
Fred - Your Firenze is awesome. I can only imagine how a Chorus or Centaur group might have looked on this frame...
Old 06-29-06, 11:27 AM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
14Max; Congrats on the new ride & welcome to the world of ti bikes. You will love the way your bike rides. As stated before, the 2005 & earlier Firenzes rode had a nice ride. Bob
Old 06-29-06, 11:36 AM
14max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob S.
14Max; Congrats on the new ride & welcome to the world of ti bikes. You will love the way your bike rides. As stated before, the 2005 & earlier Firenzes rode had a nice ride. Bob
Bob - The ride is quite an experience. There is nothing about it that I don't like, honestly. I also like the maintenance free part of Ti. I'll still look after the bike like it's lugged and painted steel but just not with the obsessiveness that I felt before...
Old 06-29-06, 11:43 AM
Olebiker
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 14max
Welds are different and one can really discern a good weld from a great weld, especially if left unpainted. I've seen, and now own, a frame that has great welds. The craftspeople at places like Merlin Litespeed, Dean, Spectrum, Moots, and Indy Fab should be very proud of what they produce...
I stopped in a convenience store a couple of weeks ago and when I came out there were two tattooed, Harley-riding, leather and denim wearing bikers looking over my Douglas Precision Ti. One of them told me, "Man, I am the best welder in town and I can't weld like like this."

I repaid the compliment by commenting on his really ratty old panhead.