Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bitten by dog while riding!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bitten by dog while riding!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-06, 04:37 PM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rob999
Yup, Lots of things I would do different in hindsite...

first, I won't be on my bike w/o my cell again...

2nd it occurred to me a few minutes later I should have at least demanded the dogs collar so I could check the tags...again hindsite...

I did file a report with the park police, but in all honesty there is not much they can do, my description of the people is weak at best ... this definately makes me question the concept of eye witnesses... 10 minutes later and I was not sure I would have been able to pick the people out of a line up... I would have been more sure about the dog..
Seriously I was more concerned with my wound, I was pouring blood at the time. I think the fact that my HR was up from riding made it worse, but still my first instinct was simply self preservation.
Of course a few minutes later after some of the adreniline wore off I was pissed at myselft for about 10 things I didin't do.

I will be off the bike for a while (I hope not more than a week) while the wound heals, and I plan to look out for these people but I doubt they will be back soon, if they have any common sense.

I really should have just sat down and waited for someone, anyone...but again hindsite.

The rabies shots suck, but I made the call that any risk was not worth it. Like was posted above, once you show symptoms, file your will....so I went with caution.

Not sure if I am luck or worse off but since I was traveling about 15mph when he got me I don't have a normal looking bite but more of a deep tear or 2...in the end that might heal better than the more normal punctures, of course the scar will be huge...

I still don't feel the need for pepper spray or anything, I have 2 dogs and have never been bitten before...but like I said I was careless with my cell phone in the car...that won't happen again.
Well not when you show symptoms when you show later more advanced symptoms such as light hurting your eyes water taste like acid etc. First rabies symptom is numbness around and in the original wound. You still have plenty of time at this point well you should be in a big rush regardless. This symptom continues and the numbness spreads from aroudn the wound outwards. You do still have time at this point.

I know this because a friend of mine was on a hike along the apalaction trail and was bit by a rabid in his case koon i beleive. He was out in middle of no where and had to start hiking back and got the first symptom before finding help. Just a fyi if your get bit dont wait for that first symptom less you like a double dose of treatments. From what my friend said it was much more painful than the first time he had to have the treatment do to a dog bite.

Rabies is not something to be fooled with.

I have personaly seen 2 rabid coons. First was in my driveway the secoudn was at silver creek. I spent probably 30 minutes going back and forth along the roads and asking other park visitorsif they had cell phones. Finally found one guy with a cell who put the call in to the rangers dept then I shadowed the rabid koon from about 50 feet away so i wouldnot loose site of it till the ranger came who then shot it.

Rabid animals and rabies are not to be messed with.
Old 07-16-06, 05:31 PM
Socalcycling
drop you like a potato

Bikes: MERCKX, RIDLEY CROSS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nova
Well not when you show symptoms when you show later more advanced symptoms such as light hurting your eyes water taste like acid etc. First rabies symptom is numbness around and in the original wound. You still have plenty of time at this point well you should be in a big rush regardless. This symptom continues and the numbness spreads from around the wound outwards. You do still have time at this point.

I know this because a friend of mine was on a hike along the Appalachian trail and was bit by a rabid in his case coon i believe. He was out in middle of no where and had to start hiking back and got the first symptom before finding help. Just a fyi if your get bit don't wait for that first symptom less you like a double dose of treatments. From what my friend said it was much more painful than the first time he had to have the treatment do to a dog bite.

Rabies is not something to be fooled with.

I have personally seen 2 rabid coons. First was in my driveway the second was at silver creek. I spent probably 30 minutes going back and forth along the roads and asking other park visitors if they had cell phones. Finally found one guy with a cell who put the call in to the rangers dept then I shadowed the rabid coon from about 50 feet away so i wouldn't loose site of it till the ranger came who then shot it.

Rabid animals and rabies are not to be messed with.
Sorry, but your friend did not have rabies. Rabies in humans takes between 3-12 weeks before the first symptoms appear. So unless it took him 3 weeks to find help I'm afraid he is FOS. BTW, I spell checked this one for you to.
Old 07-16-06, 05:38 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Post some signs in the hood requesting info on the dog's owners. Maybe their locals and will be identified to you. Don't let them slide.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-16-06, 05:49 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Loud noises can help a lot. Perhaps carry an air horn as mentioned in another thread.

I know first hand that noise can work. As a child, I would pass a yard with a very large German Shepard. The dog was very threatening but always chained and behind a fence. One day the dog got out and charged to attack me. The dog was at full charge and growling. Something made me scream "GET OUT OF HERE"! as loud as I could muster. The dog put both paws out in front of him and came to a full stop with a very puzzled look on this face. He turned tail and ran off. It was the one of the funniest things I ever saw.
Old 07-16-06, 06:44 PM
rob999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In this case, loud noises wouldn't do much...the dog was on a leash. And both the owner and the dog watched me approching, so there was not surpise, I know better than that and would have yelled that I was coming up on them.

I have 2 dogs, and one is a terrier, if someone comes up on him from behind w/o him knowing he flips....so I am familiar.

I was thinking of posting some signs, but it seems pretty unlikely to yield results, this is Haynes Point which is just south of the Jefferson Memorial, so we get tons of people from everywhere on weekends. I am sure these people were 'local' but around here the includes DC, Viginia and Maryland...

Not that is was uncommon for me to be there on Sat afternoons, but I will mostly be even more sure to be there for a few weeks in hopes of finding them...unlikely to find them but hey...i'll be on my bike.
Old 07-17-06, 06:32 AM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rob; Good plan. Enjoy the rides. Don't forget your phone, pencil/paper & camera. Leave the other stuff @ home. Bob
Old 07-17-06, 07:21 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Post some signs in the hood requesting info on the dog's owners. Maybe their locals and will be identified to you. Don't let them slide.
Haines Point is a park far away from any 'hood. There are no locals. People from all over the area go there. If the dog owners were smart, they wouldn't be back for months.
Old 07-17-06, 07:33 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have a question for dog lovers. All dogs eat, crap, bark and bite, which one is your favorite?
My thought is all dogs off private property should be muzzled.
Old 07-17-06, 08:30 AM
smellygary

Bikes: Hugh Porter criterium, Davidson Discovery (touring), GT road, Nishiki Yukon MTB (which I hate)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On their property its considered a guard dog. On public property its called viscious. Either way, a police report. What about next week when a little kid rides their bike along the same path and get mauled? The dog has learned that it can bite cyclists and get away with it unpunished. It will never unlearn that.

Make friends with the doggie by feeding it a poisoned steak. The owners won't miss the dog because they obviously don't give a crap about training it.
Old 07-17-06, 08:49 AM
Albany-12303

Bikes: 4 Bikes: A Trek 2300,Old Nishiki lugged frame with sora/Campy wheels, Giant ATX-880 MTB & 2005 Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think of the dog as a 'training tool' for encouraging you to max-out your speed.

Sorry - that was a flib comment. I'm glad that you are OK. Unchained dogs scare me.
1999 Giant ATX 880 MTB
Old 07-17-06, 08:52 AM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Socalcycling
Sorry, but your friend did not have rabies. Rabies in humans takes between 3-12 weeks before the first symptoms appear. So unless it took him 3 weeks to find help I'm afraid he is FOS. BTW, I spell checked this one for you to.

For advanced symptoms to set in yes by wich time you are dead.

Taken from 2 or 3 sources foudn with google
"It can be anywhere from a week to over a year. "
google search term
"rabies in humans"
from one source found via google search
"Symptoms are most often nonspecific and consist of fever, headache, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, sore throat, and nonproductive cough. The first rabies-specific symptom may be pain or paresthesia (abnormal burning sensation) at or around the site of exposure. This occurs in about 50-80% of patients."

another source
"How soon after exposure do symptoms appear?

The time between exposure and symptoms is usually 2 to 12 weeks, but it can be much less or much longer."
In other words possibly as short as 3 to 4 days (the time when my friend first started having the numbness around the bite wound.)

Any ways time to symptom and symptoms vary pretty wildly as there are many diffrent rabies viruses.
Old 07-17-06, 10:09 AM
Jstyle
Go big or go home

Bikes: Cannondale Ironman 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I go out to Haynes point all the time to run out there I don't know what to look for but if you let me in I can keep an eye out...
Old 07-17-06, 12:26 PM
Coyote2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I always carry a cell phone. I am considering carrying pepper spray, too -- both for angry dogs and for angry motorists who piss me off.
Old 07-17-06, 01:16 PM
rknj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next time someone says they'll 'meet you' somewhere, take their license or a credit card. Tell them if they don't meet you there, your next stop is the police station to press charges for assault.