Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any Recommendation on a headset press?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Any Recommendation on a headset press?

Old 04-04-17, 10:49 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I think I got the nashbar one on a sale for at most half of what they're going for now. At >$40 it was worth it to not have to find time to get the bike in the car and get to the shop when it was open and then pay them to do it even if I've only used it 3-4 times since buying it a number of years back.
...yes, that 40 dollar price on sale sounds vaguely familiar. Even though I'm notoriously cheap, I could see 40 bucks as a decent investment for me, and I've probably done 50 or 60 headsets with it, since I usually remove them on an overhaul if they're looking nasty and need to go in the ultrasonic.
Old 04-04-17, 10:55 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Be careful about pressing the cups with homemade press or generic press.

Flat washers can press on the edges of the bearing races. This is acceptable to some people but I didn't want to risk damaging the races when I pressed a $140 Cane Creek 110 headset. I bought the drifts which fit the bearing races from Cane Creek and avoided the possibility of damaging the parts.

As someone else said, the Nasbar press can be had for <$40.

-Tim-
Old 04-04-17, 10:57 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
What's this fascination with 1/2" rod? Go 3/4". It cost barely more, the washers are very sturdy and the acorn nuts are bigger than the headset races so they work beautifully to center the press. (Yes, 1/2' is lighter and better for hill climbing, but really, do you carry it in your tool bag?)

Edit: 3/4" and the acorn nuts was the word from Dean at Bike Central, Portland's fix gear wizard. (Fix gear as in velodrome, team DS and coach and frequently the mechanic at major events at Alpenrose.)

Ben
Probably a good idea. I really easily bent some 1/2" threaded rod when attempting to press some wheel bearings on a pair of old trailer wheels. You'd be surprised how easily you can bend it when you're applying decent force to the nuts.
Old 04-04-17, 11:01 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

Flat washers can press on the edges of the bearing races. This is acceptable to some people but I didn't want to risk damaging the races when I pressed a $140 Cane Creek 110 headset. I bought the drifts which fit the bearing races from Cane Creek and avoided the possibility of damaging the parts.

-Tim-
I've personally never damaged cups by using the flat end of the press (instead of the drifts). Sometimes we CAN'T use the drifts because they happen to contact the important part of the cup, and that's what we REALLY don't want to damage. But to each their own. I use them as much as I can, but sometimes you simply can't. (And considering the home version of the park tool one is just flat, I think you can be relatively assured that it shouldn't cause damage.)
Old 04-04-17, 11:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the price tag offensive.

I love good tools and will always buy a high quality tool before trying to save a buck on a cheap one that will break or malfunction prematurely. But $72.00 for $3.00 worth of metal and plastic? Just rubs me the wrong way.

Really???....

I wouldn't pay for that one either! The Nashbar tool is much nicer. I think I got mine at PricePoint but it looks the same as the Nashbar one. It's very heavy, nothing flimsy about it.
Old 04-04-17, 11:58 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

-Tim-
1. Easily solved by using BIG washers with an OD greater than the cup OD.
2. $140.00 is silly for a headset.
Old 04-04-17, 04:51 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
1. Easily solved by using BIG washers with an OD greater than the cup OD
That's what I have for my homemade cup press. I use big washers that press on the cup's edges and completely avoid the bearing cartridges I cut leather disks for their inside faces to keep from marring the cup edges, like using padded jaws in a vise.
Old 04-04-17, 04:54 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Phloom
I made my own out of some threaded rod, a bunch of big flat washers and some nuts that fit the threaded rod. Cost less than ten dollars and everything was available at Home Depot. It has worked fine for everything I had to press into place.
That's what I did too. Also works great for cold setting rear triangle. Purchase came to a grand total of 4 Bucks.
Old 04-04-17, 06:43 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I needed to install a headset so I purchased the Park HHHP-2. I have used it twice but you never know what the future my hold. I like having nice bicycle repair tools so it works for me.
Old 04-04-17, 07:02 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I use a couple of big sockets that fit down inside the cup to push on the base, with a threaded rod. Just happens that my socket tops have a rubber ring that is a neat fit inside the spigot of the cups, so they are fairly well self centering.

Incidentally, if you want the HD version of a fender washer, go to a car suspension shop and ask for some old shock absorber washers, they usually have a box of spares in a huge range of diameters. Some of the truck ones are 3" in diameter. Very thick and usually some kind of case hardened steel.
Old 04-04-17, 08:05 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Not in the size you need for pressing in a headset. If you use 1/2" all thread, the washer you need is quite thick. The force needed to press in the headset isn't that great either. If you have to apply enough force to bend a fender washer for a 1/2" bolt, you are probably doing something wrong. Finally, 1/2" fender washers are cheap enough to be a one time use item anyway. In other words, it doesn't matter if they bend.
... and cheap enough to just by 6-8 for two stacks, if you're worried
Old 04-04-17, 08:48 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Some misinformation in this thread.

For external cup (EC) headsets the correct way to press the cups is not to press against the outside or top of the cup. I know many people do it that way and have success but no manufacturer recommends it and all of the big manufacturers specifically recommend against it.

The claim that one should not press against the inside of the cup where the bearing sits simply isn't correct. In some cases you need to press against the outer bearing race itself. Pressing against the bearing race or inside of the cup with a proper drift is the way every single manufacturer recommends it be done.

The video below shows this at 1:22.

We can talk about washers and threaded rods and whether it works or not but we need to be honest about the way manufacturers themselves recommend that it be done. Pressing on the top of the cup with a flat surface is not what manufacturer's recommend.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-04-17 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-04-17, 08:54 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
What's this fascination with 1/2" rod? Go 3/4". It cost barely more, the washers are very sturdy and the acorn nuts are bigger than the headset races so they work beautifully to center the press. (Yes, 1/2' is lighter and better for hill climbing, but really, do you carry it in your tool bag?)
Because 1/2" does the job and you are more likely to find it in your local hardware store.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-04-17, 09:01 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
One place where threaded rod wins out over an actual press is on very tall bikes. I have the nashbar press that works well 90% of the time. The thing is, I ride 63-65 cm classic steel frames (for the most part) and have really tall head tubes. Sometimes, the press isn't long enough to get seated to start pressing until the headset is already partially into the head tube. That can get tricky sometimes without something longer. Generally, I set the fitting into the headset, make sure the headset is square with the headtube and gently, carefully tap the fitting with a deadblow mallet until it's in far enough that the two parts of the press can reach each other. Probably not an issue that most people have.
Old 04-04-17, 09:03 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

-Tim-
For most headsets, it doesn't matter. Chris King, however, suggest only pressing on the cups. Their installation adapter is specifically designed to press on the cups and not to press on the bearings. The Park tool presses on the outside of the cup as well. The reason you don't usually want to use the stepped bushing on King headsets is that it is too narrow and presses on the bearings.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-04-17, 10:10 PM
peugeot mongrel

Bikes: 84 Coppi - 94 Hujsak - 82 Colnago Superissimo - 78 Ciöcc - 70's Galmozzi - 73 Lambert - 78 Motobecane Grand Record - 87 Peugeot Triathlon - 66 Peugeot H-40 - 78 Peugeot U08 - 85 Raleigh C-40 - 82 miyata 310 - 82 Univega - 85 Sterling SIS Mixte

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 14 Posts
With a homemade press I find that putting in one cup at a time makes keeping it square much easier.
Old 04-05-17, 03:28 AM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
before i had it, i buffered the cups with blocks of wood and banged with a hammer. I know this is horrendous, but i swear, the results were perfectly fine.
+1
Old 04-05-17, 05:23 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Originally Posted by peugeot mongrel
With a homemade press I find that putting in one cup at a time makes keeping it square much easier.
Yes, that is the proper way even when using the tool.
Old 04-05-17, 07:05 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yes, that is the proper way even when using the tool.
Not according to Park

1. Place upper headset cup on top of head tube. Hold one cup guide onto top threaded press plate and lower assembly through top headset cup.
  2. Install second cup guide onto sliding press plate, and place lower cup onto guide.
  3. Engage sliding press plate onto hex shaft, and push plate upward until headset cup meets head tube. Release lever. Sliding press plate lever must be engaged in one of seven hex shaft notches. Pull downward on lower press plate to test engagement.
  4. Turn handle clockwise slowly and inspect alignment of cups as cups enter head tube. Continue and press cups fully into head tube
They do say to press only one cup at a time for cartridge bearing headset, however. They also say not to use the stepped bushing and, instead, push on the cups with the press plates of the tool.

Do not use cup guides #530-2 if guides press on any preinstalled cup-bearing unit (ex. Chris King® headsets). For headsets not fitting #530-2 cup guides, simply press using threaded press plate and sliding press plate. Pressure on the outer rim of aluminum head cups may visually scar the cups. If not using the guides, it can help to press one cup at at time.

Old 04-05-17, 07:07 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
For most headsets, it doesn't matter. Chris King, however, suggest only pressing on the cups.
+1 I've installed a couple of CK headsets using my oversized padded washers after finding out that's exactly how the manufacturer recommends. I've used the same technique successfully on Cane Creek, Velo Orange and FSA headsets also. Never had any damage to any of them.
Old 04-05-17, 08:50 AM
OshkoshBiker

Bikes: DB Haanjo Comp, Trek 1.2, Murray MTB, Framed Minnesota 2.0, Top Fuel 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Headset update

Originally Posted by OshkoshBiker
Hello all,

I am looking at various headset presses and I would appreciate your feedback on what you like or dislike about them. Does anyone use the Wheels Manufacturing presses for both headsets and bottom brackets? Is the Parktool good? Are there other brands I should consider? I am okay with home mechanic quality, however, I would prefer a professional tool.

Kind regards,

OshkoshBiker
Thank you for all of the fine feedback. I decided to purchase the Nashbar headset press on sale for about $50.
Old 04-05-17, 11:10 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Some misinformation in this thread.

For external cup (EC) headsets the correct way to press the cups is not to press against the outside or top of the cup.

We can talk about washers and threaded rods and whether it works or not but we need to be honest about the way manufacturers themselves recommend that it be done. Pressing on the top of the cup with a flat surface is not what manufacturer's recommend.

Tim that's nonsense.

Park tool videos show the tool pressing against the cup OD for an EC headset. Park's HHP-3 is designed to press the outer cup surface.

Drifts "might" be a necessary evil for installing an integrated cup.

Pushing on a empty bearing seat is just bad mechanics. Pushing on a cartridge bearing outer race as a slave to install something else is just unnecessary and bad form as well.

Think about all the headsets that use ball retainers or loose balls instead of cartridges. Pressing on the bearing track inside those cups would be foolish to say the least. Every single manufacturer recommends against that technique.

FSA (and others) specifically instruct the opposite of your claim.

Pressing the cups into the head tube Conventional, threaded, internally threaded, and Internal models only. For Integrated models, skip to
Headset Assembly
below)
Apply a thin layer of grease to the inside surfaces of the head tube.
Press the cups

2a
into the head tube using headset press (available from various bicycle tool manufacturers). Note:Refer to headset press instructions for use. Failure to use tool correctly may result in damage to poor performance or damage to headset or frame. Pressure should NOT be placed on bearings or bearing races by tool or fittings during installation.
If the headset cups are not installed in the headtube squarely, damage to the head tube, headset cups, and bearings may occur. Always face and ream headtube of bicycle to ensure.
The headset cups are installed square in the frame.
https://www.crossbike.ro/docs/5350422...ructions11.pdf

Sheldon Brown recommended BEATING them in with a hammer and a block of wood.

A drift is just an overpriced and unnecessary centering device that adds a little convenience to the task.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 04-05-17 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-10-17, 01:06 PM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
[edited by mtnbke]

The OP wanted feedback from people on a good press and most of what he received is just people trying to validate that they didn't want to spend the money press.

I've got a Park 2nd gen press and the original 1st gen Pedros headset press. I haven't tried the new 2nd gen Pedro's press. I've have a lot of redundant/duplicate tools between Pedro's and Park and with few exceptions I prefer Pedro's. My Park HHP-2 only exists in my shop for all the large frames (68-72cm) with tall head tubes that the original Pedro's can't manage. Otherwise I never would have sourced the Park, as I rarely see 68cm + bikes from customers.

I'd like to get the new Pedro's press, a VAR, a Nashbar, a Cyclus, an X-tools, a Hozan, an EVT smoothie, an Abbey modular, and a Unior to see for myself the differences, and to publish a blog on what I liked or didn't like about each. Too many people come into Bike Forums and offer opinions from a position of never having tried different tools, and many quite simply never even owned the tool they are suggesting one not buy in the first place. In this forum we've seen that. OP wanted to know experiences with different Presses and most posts are from people that either chose to not buy one, or couldn't afford one, and just want to validate that decision. The problem with that is that the Headset press is the right tool for the job. You don't press in a $150 headset into a multi-thousand dollar bike without first facing and/or reaming the head tube and then pressing it in with a shop tool.

There are cheap options and by no means am I suggesting that the most expensive headset press is the best. Thought I suspect the EVT Smoothie is probably the most expensive and the best, anyway. However, I think the cheapest headset presses are probably (guessing here) all perfectly functional.

Check these bargains out if you're on a budget:

X-tools $51
X-Tools Headset Press Workshop Tool | Chain Reaction Cycles

Cyclus $36
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...up-press-25225

I'd probably sell my Park HHP-2 for any fair offer. I'm not in love with it, and I've never been impressed with my Park tools. The HHP-2 is okay, much better quality than most crappy stamped Park stuff. However the HHP-2 is overpriced. I'd NEVER sell my Pedro's 1st gen press just 'cause most people have never seen one, and I love Pedro's stuff. Just a rare Pedro's tool that never found market saturation, like the Pedro's shop two bike Rockstand.

I'm taken aback by all the home brewers that are kludging pressing in headsets with the wrong tools just because their budget doesn't allow for having the RIGHT tool.

Honestly, if bikes are your passion and your hobby and you can't afford the tools of the trade, you probably shouldn't have this as a hobby, or rather just stick to riding the bikes, and not working on them. Or borrow the right tools. Most people can't justify a Headtube facing/reaming tool but that doesn't mean most people shouldn't use one before installing a headset. A head tube press is what a competent bike mechanic uses to press in a headset on a quality bike frame.

Too often in these forums people share their perspective which is little more than an attempt to justify or validate NOT having tools they can't afford to buy. Headsets that aren't perfectly pressed in, bind. The handling is funny. Over time the steering gets spooky.

Get the right tool. If money isn't an issue get the EVT. Otherwise everything else is really just preference. Not everyone needs Snapon, Mac, or Matco tools but good mechanics, and people that work with tools for a living, and people passionate about cars have good tools. There is a reason. Sure there is a place for Harbor Freight stuff. There is a place in the world for people having to kludge without having access or being able to afford the right tools. However, its just silly to advocate that a headset press isn't necessary, when really the people posting that haven't worked as a professional bike mechanic, nor have they ever pressed in more than a handful of headsets (and doing it wrongly in the process). Park tools aren't even HF quality. In a world where good brands like MAC, Matco, Snap-On, etc. exist it's sad that Park has the market penetration they do. Most Park tools and other bike tools in the industry aren't even barely Harbor Freight quality. Its amazing when I look at my tool board how many Park tools are below the quality of tools that Harbor Freight sells.

If anyone sincerely wants to know what someone who actually has multiple headset presses thinks, I share that I prefer Pedro's tools over Park. I'd prefer the EVT Smoothie over both. I'd be happy to have a VAR, Cyclus, or a Hozan press. I'd want to at least try the Abbey Modular press. In a pinch I'd have a Nashbar, X-Tools, or other discount press before I'd ever resort to using acme rod and washers.

I like working on bikes. I like bikes. There is usually a right tool for the job. Use it. There is no perspective, that I think is reasonable, regarding kludging along without the right tools, let alone advocating for working on bike without having the right tools.

Last edited by mtnbke; 04-17-17 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-10-17, 01:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
@mtnbke, I know that feeling superior to others is important to you, so thank you for sharing.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-10-17, 01:38 PM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@mtnbke, I know that feeling superior to others is important to you, so thank you for sharing.
Wrong. I share to keep people who don't know from listening to people that DEFINITELY don't know.

Too many people post in these threads that don't work on bikes, have never worked on bikes, and don't even own bike tools but are quick to offer their ignorant opinions on what tools "are best."

I posted the pic as a proof of perspective. When I say I like something or don't like something, people know I've actually purchased and use the tools. I'm not just posting from my mum's basement as 90% of posts seem to originate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.