Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Goodwill 3Rensho Super Record Export Resto….rehab

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-27-22, 10:57 PM
oktober 

Bikes: 200? Helfrich Ti MTB, 2011 Bruce Gordon BLT (Taiwanese), 1987 Bruce Gordon MTB, 1995 Trek 720 Multitrack, 1992 Trek Single Track 970, 1986 3Rensho Super Record Export

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts

This bike came up in the eBay/Craigslist thread a few times because it was listed on Goodwill’s online auction site. I know a few people here were bidding on it, because I found their posts after I won. Maybe they’ll be curious how the story turns out.

The photos on goodwill’s site weren’t terrible but they weren’t great. I knew the bike was special, but it was really hard to tell just how rough it was under the dust and grime. After some logistical jockeying, I don’t live in Spokane, the bike arrived today and with it comes a minor mystery. What is the story of this bike?

How it appeared on goodwill.
Likes For oktober:
Old 01-27-22, 11:01 PM
TPL

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Dyna drive pedals ....yet another part that was abandoned mid-stream by ShimaNO ....a company that seemingly takes great pleasure in leaving cyclists 'holding the bag'
Likes For TPL:
Old 01-27-22, 11:08 PM
oktober 

Bikes: 200? Helfrich Ti MTB, 2011 Bruce Gordon BLT (Taiwanese), 1987 Bruce Gordon MTB, 1995 Trek 720 Multitrack, 1992 Trek Single Track 970, 1986 3Rensho Super Record Export

Shout out to Wheel Sport South in Spokane for doing such a fantastic job packing the bike and getting it to me, it arrived this afternoon a day earlier than I was expecting.

To be honest, I was prepared for something with a lot of little issues the photo didn’t catch, rust creeping under the paint, chips, wear and tear etc. The more I dig into this bike, the more I’m surprised. It looks like it has no road wear. Like none.

it’s dirty, one the decals have some minor issues, but everything else about this bike looks like it rolled off the ship floor. There’s still release compound on the tires, parting lines on the brake pads, no wear on the anodized rims, the list goes on. It’s got a mix of Shimano ax, and campy components, which Andrew Muzi from Yellow Jersey said is pretty common of the era. It’s roughly a 1986 bike, but the mystery is the fork. It’s not stock, but it is an Ishiwata. Why did this bike need a replacement fork if all the other evidence points to it being barely ridden if it all.

I’d love help deciphering what I’m seeing as I pull it apart for cleaning, re-lubing and tuning.

Likes For oktober:
Old 01-27-22, 11:13 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Take the pump off and shoot a photo similar to the Goodwill pic you posted - the pump is giving the impression the top tube is bowed. Since the fork doesn't appear to be original to the frame (the photo isn't detailed enough to make an informed call, so I could be wrong about that), perhaps the bike was involved in a header at some point in its life.

More detailed photos will bring the experts out of the woodwork. I dare say you'll then find out more than you ever wanted to know about this bike

DD

EDIT: I made the fork comment before the OP's second post pointing out the fork is made by Ishiwata. But again, perhaps a replacement fork due to a crash; is there any paint cracking above or below the head lugs? Damaged paint in this area normally betrays a crash in the bike's past.

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-27-22 at 11:17 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 01-27-22, 11:13 PM
oktober 

Loads of photos.

Here’s all the photos I could take before I lost light.

Old 01-27-22, 11:17 PM
oktober 

More photos.

A small patch of cleaned paint. The depth of the metallic paint is hard to capture in my shop

No rust in the head tube.

Dirty but oddly unworn

Anyone know anything about tire labels? Are these period correct?

Likes For oktober:
Old 01-27-22, 11:21 PM
oktober 

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Take the pump off and shoot a photo similar to the Goodwill pic you posted - the pump is giving the impression the top tube is bowed. Since the fork doesn't appear to be original to the frame (the photo isn't detailed enough to make an informed call, so I could be wrong about that), perhaps the bike was involved in a header at some point in its life.

More detailed photos will bring the experts out of the woodwork. I dare say you'll then find out more than you ever wanted to know about this bike

DD

EDIT: I made the fork comment before the OP's second post pointing out the fork is made by Ishiwata. But again, perhaps a replacement fork due to a crash; is there any paint cracking above or below the head lugs? Damaged paint in this area normally betrays a crash in the bike's past.
I was honestly expecting crash damage, but can’t find any evidence of it. No bulges, no paint cracks, no dents. It’s almost spooky. I was expecting a really nice, but well used vintage road bike. One that I’d feel fine riding around on nice days, but honestly, I’m feeling like I should be handling this thing with cotton gloves and I worry that I’ll be too nervous to put any miles on it.

I know the photos are a little weird at the moment. But tomorrow, when it’s light, I’ll get better while bike shots and give it a good cleaning to see what’s really under the dirt.

interestingly, it’s a lot dirtier than it was in the goodwill shots. Like they stored it where it got splashed with muddy water.
Old 01-27-22, 11:27 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ Not problem - but yes, some pics when all the packing materials have been removed and the grime cleaned up will definitely tell a clearer story.

Stored in a place where it got splashed with muddy water? In Washington? Say it isn't so

(I just recently left the Seattle area after over a decade of dodging raindrops there)

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 01-28-22, 02:17 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Originally Posted by oktober
Shout out to Wheel Sport South in Spokane for doing such a fantastic job packing the bike and getting it to me, it arrived this afternoon a day earlier than I was expecting.

To be honest, I was prepared for something with a lot of little issues the photo didn’t catch, rust creeping under the paint, chips, wear and tear etc. The more I dig into this bike, the more I’m surprised. It looks like it has no road wear. Like none.

it’s dirty, one the decals have some minor issues, but everything else about this bike looks like it rolled off the ship floor. There’s still release compound on the tires, parting lines on the brake pads, no wear on the anodized rims, the list goes on. It’s got a mix of Shimano ax, and campy components, which Andrew Muzi from Yellow Jersey said is pretty common of the era. It’s roughly a 1986 bike, but the mystery is the fork. It’s not stock, but it is an Ishiwata. Why did this bike need a replacement fork if all the other evidence points to it being barely ridden if it all.

I’d love help deciphering what I’m seeing as I pull it apart for cleaning, re-lubing and tuning.
Just spitballin here so take it for what its worth, maybe someone robbed an offset crown fork off it?

Aside from that I think you're doing just fine, especially if the PIA was in your comfort zone.
Old 01-28-22, 06:15 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 303 Posts
I recommend everyone to take it cool when it comes to speculating about the fork. It could actually be original to the frame. All 3Rensho: s do not have the offset fork crown. This bike has the NSA investment cast fork crown designed by 3Rensho and standard on the SRA ans SA models. It is in their catalog material at least from 1983. In the material from 1984 there is a list of chromed replacement forks and one like this cost 85 USD. The fork can be original to the frame - it is not unheard of special requests and orders. It can be a repleacment fork for unknow reasons (if there is no crash damage or any other signs on the frame itself). No matter - the fork is a 3Rensho fork and period correct. And better looking than the offset ones if you ask me.

edit - Ishiwata is not the maker of the fork. It is the maker of the tubing used to build the fork.

My 3Rensho Super Record Aero with NSA fork crown:

Last edited by styggno1; 01-28-22 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-28-22, 07:22 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
I can't wait to see it cleaned up. I have a couple of bikes I have bought without actually looking at them in person and there is always a level of anxiety when it is unpacked and the cleaning / maintenance begins. Pictures from someone who is selling the bike don't always tell the story . In my case it turned out very well both times , and it looks like it may for you as well. That paint is beautiful!!
Old 01-28-22, 07:53 AM
rancho66 
Rancho66

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
The fork appears to be same as this 3Rensho in the C&V sales section:
FS: 53cm 3Rensho SR Aero Katana: Pink - $850 Frame/Fork - Bike Forums
Old 01-28-22, 07:54 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 413 Posts
oktober Congrats on winning this bike, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Please do post more pictures as you rehab it.
Likes For daverup:
Old 01-28-22, 10:40 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by rancho66
The fork appears to be same as this 3Rensho in the C&V sales section:
FS: 53cm 3Rensho SR Aero Katana: Pink - $850 Frame/Fork - Bike Forums

I have been looking at the photos of the two 3Renshos i have owned and I agree that the fork is the same.

EDIT: Later posts have shown me to be wrong.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Last edited by CV-6; 01-28-22 at 01:32 PM.
Likes For CV-6:
Old 01-28-22, 11:01 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
I, too, suspect the fork is a replacement. The Ishiwata and JIS stamps on the steer tube are characteristic of Ishiwata factory brazed replacement forks, and the Shimano fork ends don't match the Campagnolo dropouts on the rear.

N.B. that crown race looks nasty, but may just be solidified grease. Hope it cleans off to reveal a smooth race underneath!
Old 01-28-22, 11:08 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
edit - Ishiwata is not the maker of the fork. It is the maker of the tubing used to build the fork.
FWIW, the unbrazed Ishiwata steer tubes we got at Trek to build into forks in Waterloo were not stamped in that manner, only the pre-made Ishiwata-brazed forks from Japan.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-28-22, 11:22 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
I appreciate learning the story of this bike, as I was following both this and the green one on the Goodwill site after seeing them posted here. (When the green one's bidding went up to $700, I had no regrets about not bidding.) I hope everything turns out well, and I'm looking forward to seeing it refurbished. Welcome to the site!
Old 01-28-22, 11:28 AM
oktober 

I couldn’t wait for it to warm up this morning before I washed it. This is just after washing. No wax, no paint correction, just cleaned bike.

unfortunately, it measures 60cm c-c, which is a touch big for me, I typically ride 57-59.

Likes For oktober:
Old 01-28-22, 11:30 AM
oktober 

More photos

Likes For oktober:
Old 01-28-22, 11:32 AM
oktober 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I, too, suspect the fork is a replacement. The Ishiwata and JIS stamps on the steer tube are characteristic of Ishiwata factory brazed replacement forks, and the Shimano fork ends don't match the Campagnolo dropouts on the rear.

N.B. that crown race looks nasty, but may just be solidified grease. Hope it cleans off to reveal a smooth race underneath!
Solidified grease. Really solidified. I used a toothpick and hot soapy water to get it clean. Under a jewelers loupe, there is almost no wear at all.
Old 01-28-22, 11:35 AM
oktober 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
I appreciate learning the story of this bike, as I was following both this and the green one on the Goodwill site after seeing them posted here. (When the green one's bidding went up to $700, I had no regrets about not bidding.) I hope everything turns out well, and I'm looking forward to seeing it refurbished. Welcome to the site!
i bid on both, but honestly glad I didn’t win the green one, it was way too small for me (I think). I definitely had second thoughts about this one as I waited for it to arrive, but I’m more than happy on how it’s turning out.
Old 01-28-22, 12:01 PM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 129 Posts
Excellent job cleaning up the bike. I hope you find a way to make it fit. That stem looks very cool with the screwed on plate and those lugs look svelte and well done
Old 01-28-22, 12:17 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,353 Times in 7,191 Posts
Originally Posted by oktober

unfortunately, it measures 60cm c-c, which is a touch big for me, I typically ride 57-59.
...but perfect for me.

In case you do not know, there's a guy making and selling adapters for those overlarge pedal eyes on Shimano cranks made for those extinct pedals. He's in eastern Europe somewhere, IIRC, and lists them on e-bay. I bought and used a set of them on a bicycle I got here, so I could just switch over to standard pedals. Since those are probably low mileage, you might want to use them for a while, but eventually, because of the bearing arrangement for the pedal shaft, they have a reputation for failure.

But they are serviceable and rebuildable, if you prefer to use them.
Old 01-28-22, 12:36 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Oh, man, that is a beauty, and it sure hasn't been crashed - good deal

I did notice something that may support the idea that the fork is a replacement (but for what reason I don't know - certainly not because of a crash or there'd be some evidence on the frame): the bit of a gap between the headset lock nut and the spacer. Either a different headset with a taller stack height was originally used, or this fork is a replacement and a few millimeters longer than the original one. But again, pure speculation.

The detailed pics tell me this didn't get used much. I'm guessing they didn't use clear coat, which prolly explains the light flaking of the decals (which I imagine can be found online from the usual suspects). Make it fit, somehow - that's a time capsule

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-28-22 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-28-22, 12:45 PM
oktober 

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Oh, man, that is a beauty, and it sure hasn't been crashed - good deal

The detailed pics tell me this didn't get used much. I'm guessing they didn't use clear coat, which prolly explains the light flaking of the decals (which I imagine can be found online from the usual suspects). Make it fit, somehow - that's a time capsule

DD
Definitely no clear coat, and the paint seems quite thin judging by the crisp edges and definition of the lugs.

Yeah, I keep looking for signs of wear and other than some rub from the cables, I'm not really finding any. The brake pad arms have no marks from the brake pad washers, the cable guides have little to no wear on the paint, the hoods have no wear on the rubber, the crank arms have no wear from pedaling. One pedal has a tiny patch of wear on the inner side, but no scrapes on the toe clips, no marks on the brushed aluminum pedal surfaces, etc. 60 is probably too big, I'll end up running the seat post with two or three fingers of post showing which will look goofy, but I'm gonna do it anyway just to see how it rides if nothing else. I'm very temped to swap out most of the components and wheel-set with other stuff I have laying around so I don't put any marks on any of the "unused" stuff. The other part of me is saying "It's a bike, it's made to be ridden."

If I can't live with the size, I guess I'll have to sell it because I can't abide just keeping a bike around that doesn't fit. We'll see.

The other part that is making me scratch my chin, is the seat choice and the bar wrap choice. Lycra covered comfort seat, and lycra/neoprene bar wraps are just odd for a bike like this. I peeled back the grips and there are no marks from previous bar wrap, or scratches or anything. It's pristine aluminum under there.

Last edited by oktober; 01-28-22 at 12:49 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.