Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tuning rear shifting. Campagnolo Record

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-15-22, 09:44 PM
Cdst

Bikes: 2008 Kona Coilair Deluxe, 2012 Kona Sutra, 2019 Pinarello Dogma F10, 2021 Ibis Ripley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts

I have an 11 speed Campagnolo drivetrain. All parts are post-2015 Record except the cassette which is Chorus 11-29. I am having trouble adjusting the rear shifting. It moves fine through the 5 largest sprockets, but in the smaller ones it is really slow to move on certain jumps. This problem happens in both directions. I have tried to fine tune it with the barrel adjuster both tighter and looser and it will get better in one direction at the expense of absolutely not shifting at all in the other. What could be the problem? This isn't the 90s anymore, I am used to drivetrains that shift crisp and quick, and I am comparing this Record 11 bike to Sora on one of my bikes and Sram GX on the other.

Things I have tried: tuning the barrel adjuster, cleaning the chain, crying about it.
Video of me trying to shift https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvENwc8dZcoKkddg7W1jf_w9iu-UiQ
Old 04-16-22, 08:55 AM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 191 Posts
Sounds like a cable problem to me. Campagnolo instructions are pretty specific about where to use ferrules. Photos of your cable runs might be helpful. perhaps a cable is frayed and binding at a specific spot, when you adjust the barrel it changes where the frayed spot is located?
Old 04-16-22, 09:05 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Replace cable/housing. Align hanger. Report back.
Old 04-16-22, 10:35 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I can't see a lot of details from the video. Perhaps some closeup still photos from both the rear and side would help.

As @cxwrench mentions, the hanger could be slightly out of alignment.

The B-Screw adjustment on newer Campagnolo derailleurs is on the derailleur cage. Make sure it is adjusted to be as close to the sprockets without touching through all the gears.
Old 04-16-22, 10:40 AM
Cdst

Bikes: 2008 Kona Coilair Deluxe, 2012 Kona Sutra, 2019 Pinarello Dogma F10, 2021 Ibis Ripley

Originally Posted by CliffordK;[url=tel:22474176
22474176[/url]]I can't see a lot of details from the video. Perhaps some closeup still photos from both the rear and side would help.

As @cxwrench mentions, the hanger could be slightly out of alignment.

The B-Screw adjustment on newer Campagnolo derailleurs is on the derailleur cage. Make sure it is adjusted to be as close to the sprockets without touching through all the gears.
does the b screw have any affect on the middle gears? I thought it’s purpose was to limit the high and low position so you don’t shift off the cassette into the spokes

Old 04-16-22, 01:46 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I have Record 11 post 2015 that shifts like butter since day one. Set it up myself, no tricks or special sauce, simply installed like any other and never have had any problems shifting.
What I see in the video reminds me of a dirty cable run. Don't know if the cable is old, the housing is gritty inside or what, but it sure acts that way. Of course the simple things first, #1 is the Der hanger alignment.
As an aside, I am willing to pay shipping for you to send me that 90's performance drive train if you are unable to resolve the issue.
Old 04-16-22, 01:52 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Cdst
does the b screw have any affect on the middle gears? I thought it’s purpose was to limit the high and low position so you don’t shift off the cassette into the spokes

You thought wrong. The limit screws limit the derailleur travel at high and low extremes. The b tension screw adjusts the amount of clearance between the guide pulley and the cogs.
ETA: Take a look at the b screw and what it adjusts, this should make it clear as to it's function.
Old 04-16-22, 01:54 PM
Cdst

Originally Posted by cxwrench;[url=tel:22474336
22474336[/url]]You thought wrong. The limit screws limit the derailleur travel at high and low extremes. The b tension screw adjusts the amount of clearance between the guide pulley and the cogs.
thanks, I’m not pretending to be good at adjusting a drivetrain so I appreciate the knowledge
Likes For Cdst:
Old 04-16-22, 05:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts

I thought Campagnolo had eliminated the "b-screw" near the hanger. But, rather relied solely on the screw near the cage. Perhaps they brought the old hanger adjustment back.

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...ev02_07_16.pdf

See page #5. Diagram #10. Screw marked "H". That is the screw used to adjust the distance between the cage and the sprockets.
Old 04-16-22, 06:43 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I thought Campagnolo had eliminated the "b-screw" near the hanger. But, rather relied solely on the screw near the cage. Perhaps they brought the old hanger adjustment back.

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...ev02_07_16.pdf

See page #5. Diagram #10. Screw marked "H". That is the screw used to adjust the distance between the cage and the sprockets.
Wrong technical manual for the rear derailleur the OP has. Here's the correct one: Rear derailleur - mechanical units The "B-screw" is L in figure 10, and the H screw is shown if figure 12. Adjust the H screw to get 5-7mm clearance on the smallest sprocket, if you can't get the clearance adjust the L screw, then readjust the H screw. Another thing to check is that the cable is anchored correctly, as shown in figure 8. I've seen the cable anchored on the wrong side and that can create some weird shift issues as it alters the cable pull ratio. Your rear housing looks a little short, you want the housing to enter straight into the adjusting barrel.

Has the cassette been off recently? Chorus 11 uses grouped sprockets for the larger groups but loose for the smalls. If the cassette was off and the lockring wasn't properly torqued when reinstalled the loose sprockets can move and create shift issues that only affect the smaller sprockets.

Last edited by RGMN; 04-16-22 at 07:22 PM.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 04-17-22, 05:39 AM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 191 Posts
Cable length looks short for a Campagnolo derailleur
Old 04-17-22, 11:38 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
I don't know if this applies to 11sp but 10sp had spacers that looked the same but were different widths. I put mine back together once and I didn't do it right and it shifted like crap for a few weeks before I got frustrated and RTFM.