Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I Sure Do Love TITANIUM!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-06, 12:34 PM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't get me wrong I like bicycles made of all sorts of materials, and think material alone does not dictate a fine frame, there is more to a great bike than material.....

After getting back from my 100km Club ride this morning my Tuscany was pretty dirty from the road. Although it was a warm sunny day, there were lots of small pools of standing water on the road to where we rode from the rain they probably got in the early morning.

So when I got home I took a hose to the Tuscany, and while I was washing off the road grime, looking at the pattern of water roll of the bare metal, I realized how simple Titanium is to look after. Hose it down wipe it off, no need to worry about chips, scratches or corrosion, just have at her

After the wash/cleaning, the raw titanium just has this exotic shimmer that is unmistakable as anything else. Even as I was riding in the pack, a few fellow riders kept commenting on the raw beauty of the Titanium frame. That was nice of them to tell me that. Although I do like painted bikes just as much, I'm also happy I have this bare metal Ti in my collection as well

Last edited by ViperZ; 07-15-06 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-15-06, 12:37 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
How is the ride compared to your Carbon Trek?
Old 07-15-06, 12:44 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Everything looks sexier when wet eh?

Allow me to rephrase the title to your thread...

"I Sure Do Love Your Titanium"

55/Rad
Old 07-15-06, 12:46 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariner Fan
How is the ride compared to your Carbon Trek?
It rides slightly plusher, with a bit better tracking due to the longer wheelbase. It handles dips and hols in the road very well, with out hammering you for it. I think the Carbon Trek may be a bit better at damping vibrations if the road surface is flat but rough over all, there is no doubt, I like the ride of the Ti, and how it fits me.

Last edited by ViperZ; 07-15-06 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-15-06, 12:46 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
Everything looks sexier when wet eh?

Allow me to rephrase the title to your thread...

"I Sure Do Love Your Titanium"

55/Rad
Heh, Thanks Rad!
Old 07-15-06, 12:47 PM
pigmode
works for truffles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tease
Old 07-15-06, 12:52 PM
grinderbob
coffee bean grinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your Tuscany looks like a hot sexy bay watch babe coming out of the water!!!
Old 07-15-06, 12:55 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grinderbob
Your Tuscany looks like a hot sexy bay watch babe coming out of the water!!!
Good One Grinderbob! like Pigmode and Rad stated too, sexy when wet, in a teasing way
Old 07-15-06, 05:56 PM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep finding myself on e-bay looking for a Litespeed Tuscany frameset. Viper, is the Tuscany the nicest Litespeed frameset for the money in your opinion?
They are beautiful.
George
Old 07-15-06, 07:26 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
George, it has often been said that if you can only have 1 Litespeed, the Tuscany is the best choice. It's a very neutral handling bike with just the right geometry that is not too agressive, yet not too slack. It just does everything right and has geometrically enhanced tubing that gives it just the right amount of stiffness and compliance, while retaining classic road bike lines. That was in reference the 2003 Tuscany which is my model. It has taken on a bigger & fatter down tube in later years that seems to have taken away the classic lines, however maybe stiffer, which I'm not sure is required considering the 2003 is stiff enough for me. When I bought mine in 2006, I was looking specifically for the 2003 model just because of what I read and because I like the tube diameters.

I would have to say, it is one bike that I can see me riding for a very long time, as it just seems perfect to me, and in this case is what I want out of a bike, at least this particular one

Here is a Review From Michigan Bike Sport on the Tuscany

Last edited by ViperZ; 07-15-06 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-15-06, 07:57 PM
tobycat

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Moots Vamoots SL, Litespeed Classic, Trek 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two Ti bikes (a Litespeed Classic and a Moots Vamoots SL) and they are splendid bikes. Also have a Trek 5500 that, while nice, isn't quite up to the Classic and is not even close to the Vamoots in terms of handling, road feel, descending and even climbing (the Vamoots is actually a little lighter and feels stiffer in the bottom bracket)

Recently I bought an R3 and that is the first carbon bike I've ridden that, although much different than the Moots is a blast to ride. Very light, very stiff, and very nimble. Doesn't quite track like the Vamoots and overall, the Moots seems like the better ride but the R3 is a superb machine.
Old 07-15-06, 09:21 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice collection.
Old 07-15-06, 11:44 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I LOVE my Ibis Titanium road. Prefer its overall feel to my Cannondale Six13.

But the Six13 climbs and sprints better. Hate to admit it.

Oh well...
Old 07-16-06, 12:12 AM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I LOVE my Ibis Titanium road. Prefer its overall feel to my Cannondale Six13.

But the Six13 climbs and sprints better. Hate to admit it.

Oh well...
Its all relative... For me the Titanium Tuscany sprints well and climbs well enough, it's much better than the motor
Old 07-16-06, 12:47 AM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My Habby titanium is all I expected from a bike...and more. Now, carbon forks on the other hand *tisk tisk*
Old 07-16-06, 01:37 AM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I have had a Litespeed Liege for about a year and just love it.. Lemon Pledge works great on the Brushed Ti frames for cleaning up..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LIEGE.JPG (28.5 KB, 127 views)
Old 07-16-06, 02:47 AM
iansir

Bikes: Giant TCR2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Amen, keep it up my ti brother. Size, space, and cost limit me to one bike - and ti is the best all-arounder to fit the bill.
Old 07-16-06, 05:43 AM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ViperZ
George, it has often been said that if you can only have 1 Litespeed, the Tuscany is the best choice. It's a very neutral handling bike with just the right geometry that is not too agressive, yet not too slack. It just does everything right and has geometrically enhanced tubing that gives it just the right amount of stiffness and compliance, while retaining classic road bike lines. That was in reference the 2003 Tuscany which is my model. It has taken on a bigger & fatter down tube in later years that seems to have taken away the classic lines, however maybe stiffer, which I'm not sure is required considering the 2003 is stiff enough for me. When I bought mine in 2006, I was looking specifically for the 2003 model just because of what I read and because I like the tube diameters.

I would have to say, it is one bike that I can see me riding for a very long time, as it just seems perfect to me, and in this case is what I want out of a bike, at least this particular one

Here is a Review From Michigan Bike Sport on the Tuscany
What a wonderful article replete with praise for the Tuscany. Sounds like a tremendous frame. The issue for me is I am more legs then torso and the Tuscany is proportioned a bit more for those with longer torso as the article adroitly points out. I find it interesting how the writer disses long stems...prefers a longer wheel base bike with a bit shorter stem. I do too. Plain fact is a racing set up is a bit more nervous.
Congrats on having such a nice bike in your stable Viper.
Safe riding bro,
George
Old 07-16-06, 06:18 AM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by biker7
I keep finding myself on e-bay looking for a Litespeed Tuscany frameset. Viper, is the Tuscany the nicest Litespeed frameset for the money in your opinion?
They are beautiful.
George
George; I have never riden a Tuscany & can't comment on it. However, I can offer that my son has a 2002 Classic which I have put many miles on. It is a wonderful bilke. Words do not do justice to it's ride & handling. Personally, I think it is better ride than my Lemond ti which I find a to be a bit more harsh, but stiffer. Unfortunately, my son will not trade me.

With that said, I do find myself casually looking for a Blue Ridge model whenever I am on Ebay or Craig's list. Bob
Old 07-16-06, 07:00 AM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Viper,
I know you posted this before but what year is your frame?
Lightspeed went to a diamond shape top and down tube that I don't find aesthetically pleasing.
Do you know when they changed the shape of the tubes?
Old 07-16-06, 07:36 AM
Thylacine
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't realise how much Litespeed Tuscanys were until I looked them up just now. It makes me wonder, now that Kent Erikson has left Moots and sprung out on his own, and the Lynskeys have left Litespeed and sprung up on their own....what's the appeal of paying top dollar for something like an off-the shelf Merlin or Litespeed? What cachet do they still have?

I'm not having a go, I'm just trying to learn something here. Edumahcate me. :cool:
Old 07-16-06, 08:16 AM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker7
What a wonderful article replete with praise for the Tuscany. Sounds like a tremendous frame. The issue for me is I am more legs then torso and the Tuscany is proportioned a bit more for those with longer torso as the article adroitly points out. I find it interesting how the writer disses long stems...prefers a longer wheel base bike with a bit shorter stem. I do too. Plain fact is a racing set up is a bit more nervous.
Congrats on having such a nice bike in your stable Viper.
Safe riding bro,
George
Thanks George. The Tuscany has a longer top tube and based on my recommended reach of 78.5 cm, I just a bit shy of that with the 55cm top tube and 120mm stem. I don't notice it one bit Good luck with your quest, as the Author stated, fit should be the predominant factor in your choices.

Originally Posted by Mariner Fan
Viper,
I know you posted this before but what year is your frame?
Lightspeed went to a diamond shape top and down tube that I don't find aesthetically pleasing.
Do you know when they changed the shape of the tubes?
Mariner, my frame is 2003 which is the same as a 2004 I beleive. In 2005 they went to a bigger down tube, and in 2006 they went to the diamond shaped tubes. I actually don't mind the new 2006 Tuscany (with exception to the redish decals), however I like the more classic look to this bike.

Originally Posted by Thylacine
I didn't realise how much Litespeed Tuscanys were until I looked them up just now. It makes me wonder, now that Kent Erikson has left Moots and sprung out on his own, and the Lynskeys have left Litespeed and sprung up on their own....what's the appeal of paying top dollar for something like an off-the shelf Merlin or Litespeed? What cachet do they still have?

I'm not having a go, I'm just trying to learn something here. Edumahcate me. :cool:
I have always shook my head at the price of brand new retail priced bikes like Litespeed, Merlin, Seven, Serrotta, Colnago...etc. I would guess the appeal is Brand Name recognition, or just because it is a Marques a person has always wanted to own. People will always want a Rolex, even though a $10 Quartz watch will keep better time. Its the Marquee, brand recognition and the pleasure of owning an Icon of the industry. This may not always be the case, but more times then not, will be. Cycling has always been a sport where the name on the tube or parts is more important than most other things.

That said, regardless of who's name is on the Tube, I think a Titanium bike is one of cyclings perfect balances of everything. It can hold the best qualitys of the other 3 materials and combines it in to one.

Last edited by ViperZ; 07-16-06 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-16-06, 08:20 AM
pelotonracer
Up and comer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
But viper, you didn't pay full retail, did you?
Old 07-16-06, 08:35 AM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pelotonracer
But viper, you didn't pay full retail, did you?
No, I bought it as NOS on ebay for $800
Old 07-16-06, 08:40 AM
pelotonracer
Up and comer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Phew! Good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.